Pain in left side back

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi ,as many of you know I've been ill since early December with chest infection,after 3 lots of antibiotics and a week of steroids the infection seems to clearing ,,,,,but the pain I've got in my back

( women will understand where I mean ) it's just where my bra sits,

ie; left side back ,it's a deep pain that is constant ,applying pressure dose seem to ease it a little ,,,,but it's most uncomfortable all the time ,I don't seem to be able to get comfortable to get relief from it ,

any ideas ,

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i feel your pain Nanny.  First off I'd get rid of the bra, I rarely wear one as it bugs my back and makes the pain worse.  (unless I have to for some occasion).  Think you told me that you also has spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease, plus two different kinds of arthritis?  I'm in pain everyday of my life and can't take meds for it. So I have a flax bag that I am constantly heating up in the microwave, somedays, all day long.  It helps a little.  Also a bath, as warm as you can stand it, with empsom salts in it.  I stay in the bath until the water cools down to the point I can't take the cold.  Glad to hear your infection is better and hope that your back gets feeling better also.  x
    • Posted

Think we are at crossed lines ,or you've mixed me up with someone else,I don't have degenerative disc disease,or arthritis, 

as for the bra totally agree ,,,,,

• Posted

I was just spouting off, yesterday I think, about how it annoys me that people on this forum give our "free medical advice" when none of us are doctors or nurses, etc...etc....  Here I am telling you what you should do

for your pain.  Just sharing what helps me.  Might be a good idea to have your doctor check you out to make sure it's not something else causing the pain.  Take care Nanny.

• Posted

Haha,no problem ,,,,,,but I think a problem shared is a problem halved ,,,and I have found great comfort over the years from this forum ,,,,,tomorrow the bra will remain in the drawer,,,,,haha,,,,,I've tried hot water bottles,I've tried ice ,I've tried different ointments and pain killers ,,,,,so maybe your right and it is time to see the Doctor ,
  • Posted

I head into your doctor to get it checked out as soon as you can Nanny. I believe it's a good idea if you have any new (and very painful) symptoms. hugs and hopes you're feeling much better soon.
    • Posted

Thanks ,,,,Looks like ringing GP on Monday then if it's no better ,
  • Posted

Hi, I have been in the same situation as you, been ill and in and out of hospital with one infection after the other,  I have the same pain,but, on the right side. I got checked and was told It is stretching of the pleural cavity, due to all the coughing caused by the infections,it tends to get worse before getting better. Hold when coughing or breathing to give a bit of protection.  If it spreads upwards or gets worse and doesn't seem to be getting better you need to get it checked.  I sometimes find a warm hot water bottle helps. 
    • Posted

T hat sounds like the pain I'm having ,and probably like you caused by all the deep coughing ,Joe we both feel good soon ,
  • Posted

Hi Nanny. It certainly sounds like you have had a rough time and your plura area will have taken a beating with the coughing. If it doesn't settle see your Go. I see this has been suggested however if you are like myself I try not to go to the doctor for every thing. Hot water bottle on the area and run some Vick into the area works for me. Past experience tells me you may have the pain for a little while but I am pleased you are over the infection. God Bless
    • Posted

Hi ,thanks for the reassurance ,I never thought about Vick ,,I have heard about rubbing it on the soles of your feet ,,,,,,,but I will give it a try on my side ,  I've been using a hot water bottle on it on and off ,but I have decided that if it's still no better next week I will pay a visit to the doctor, hopefully things will improve over the weekend ,

its my 70th birthday tomorrow and I'm looking forward to a lovely day with My family ,I'll post pictures tomorrow,

• Posted

Could be the infection has not yet cleared Nanny, pain like that I've experienced when chest infection is present, also if you've been coughing a lot could be a pulled muscle.  Be I would agree with others advise a doctor check would reassure you at least its not a lung issue.

For relief,  possibly a hot water bottle. heat pad, wheat bag, vicks applies before applying the heat source I'd say.  Also paracetamol may help.  If its muscular that ibuleve gel may help, you can get on prescription from your GP but be aware this can, for some, affect breathing (your doc probably will mention this if it is prescribed).

Hope pain eases for you soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback ,I am trying the Vick rub on it at the moment ,and a hot water bottle ,and paracetamol,made my mind up to get it checked at doctors next week if it's no better over the weekend ,

thanks again 

• Posted

I hope it at least eases for you so you can enjoy your birthday tomorrow. X
  • Posted

Nanny, I am so sorry. As if the COPD wasn't enough. I use those soft bead packs (microwave) for my back but it sounds like you have tried that.
    • Posted

Hi ,I haven't got one of the wheat bags ,that will be a future purchase ,Yvonnemarie suggested I rub Vick into the area ,and I have to say ,this us the first day I've had any relief from the pain ,so I'll continue with the Vick and maybe see a GP next week ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.