Pain in opposite hip from replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

I hope someone can give me advice, as I can't get an appointment (for obvious reasons). I had my right thr in January (after waiting for 5 years) and am doing really well. However, I know I also need my left hip replaced and was due to discuss it with my surgeon during my follow up appointment in June. I have been doing my exercises religiously every day and have suddenly started to experience that familiar severe sharp pain in the bad hip, which is now making it difficult to continue exercising. I am unable to speak to a physio and don't know what to do. I obviously don't want to jeopardize my new hip recovery, but at the same time, today I could barely walk with pain in my bad hip. Any suggestions ? Are there any exercises I can do that doesn't put strain on my bad hip, but still works my new hip ?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

same situation with me i had my right hip done in 10/19 and my left hip done in 3/20. yes all the weight is shifting to your bad hip as well its going to be impossible for you to continue to exercise because the pain. use a cane thats the only way the pain will be minimize. take pain meds until youre able to get the other hip done. Good luck and i hope you feel better

• Posted

thank you Frances, I did consider using one of my crutches for a while to see if that helps.

• Posted

what about the exercises lying down.

I had a piece of gauze for wrist sprains which I used to help me lift my operated leg in and out of hospital

using that or a resistance band to exercise the leg.

also sitting in a chair pretending your driving lifting movements

• Edited

Thank you Samantha. I was given exercises initially lying down, but they were very gentle, so using a resistance band is a great idea. I'm assuming I should be able to order one online. I'll have a look.

• Edited

Why is your second hip being replaced? If osteoporosis is involved be very careful about what exercises you are doing. There are two PTs online who are great with exercise demonstrations. If you go online bring up their You Tubes:('Brad and Bob).

I had a hip replaced 18 months ago (fractured after fainting and falling)...all went smoothly, easy walking until 4 months ago... like you, severe pain developed in opposite side. Osteoarthritis ... no fracture and I don't want another surgery. That's when I came upon Brad and Bob's videos. Good information even if you are planning another replacement.

• Posted

Hi Joanna. I was born with hip joints the wrong shape and now that I am in my 40s, the wear has become apparent. I had the worst one replaced first and it seems to have made the other one worse. I suppose everything has shifted. I don't want another surgery, that's for sure, but I think it's inevitable. I will definitely look up 'Bob and Brad' and I don't mind if it's a bit cheasy, everyone needs a bit of cheese in their lives....lol

• Edited

I am in the same position I was supposed to see the surgeon the week of the lockdown. My hip is becoming more and more painful. I suppose I am not the only one though, there must be thousands of us.

• Posted

It's a terrible situation, as we all know how serious this virus is and people are in much worse situations than us. But living with constant pain is awful. We just need to try and do the best we can.

• Edited

Hi there

I had my left THR over 2 years ago and I have been getting sharp pain at times on my right hip. I have been doing regular stretching (hamstrings & Quads) sometimes for long periods and quite intense at times which has been great for me. I find that these tight muscles can contribute and make your arthritis so much more painful therefore making these muscles more flexible over time can be a huge help

.This is something I think you need to be careful with as over stretching can obviously cause injury so patience is required. Start by doing light stretches and gradually over time increase the intensity.

You may not feel the benefits quickly however over time if done for at least 1 hour each day I think you will feel benefit of this!

• Edited

I absolutely agree..... right after my surgery I was doing stretches as recommended by a PT (in person). Loved it and the overall flexibility. When the pain, opposite side, kicked in, an

x-ray showed osteoarthritis. Now I do gentle stretches and try to walk through the pain. I'm also careful with my diet, Mediterranean, to lower inflammation. It helps.

Thanks so much for your reply

joanna

• Edited

Thank you for your advice. patience has never been a strong point of mine. I have been struggling to know the best thing to do. Am I doing too much, not enough, should I exercise even if it hurts or rest when it hurts and if I rest, am I undoing all the work I've done so far ?

• Edited

walking icing and rest. there have been studies that the hip heals with no exercise at all, just time and heals well on its own. it will not cause damage to rest and walk without a stressful need to exercise and stay in shape. just walking has proven to be the best source of healing for thr. be careful try to not add weight over 8 pounds while lifting and no twisting. take it slow and easy until you can see your doctor. I will add that it was 10 years from my first hip replacement until the opposite hip replacement was scheduled.

Everyone is different. there are different stages to healing and with osteo in hips it is a progressive disease . joint replacement does not cause hip damage to the opposite hip unless there was previous damage from osteo or other damage. i agree it is hard on all joints thru recovery and takes a toll on the whole body while struggling to walk and can cause stress on many other joints.

in so many cases hip replacement can effect the knees and lower back. with time depending on prior damage to other joints it generally resolves in time.

its never easy , stay positive and take your time to let your body repair itself. it takes up to a year or more to get to a place when movement comes easy with no thought of surgery.

time and healing , peace and happiness for your new normal.

• Edited

Thank you for your advice and encouraging words. I was wondering if I would ever get to the point where I would move freely and not be aware of the surgery, but I suppose it is still early days. I have wear in my old hip (birth defect), which is definitely worse now that I have had one replaced, which I'm assuming is because everything has shifted. I have been panicking about not doing my exercises because everyone tells you how important it is, but I'm starting to think that I should maybe slow down a bit, as if it gets much worse, I may not be walking around at all. I am looking forward to normal ; )

• Edited

Lovely heartfelt reply. thank you so much. Our bodies are a miracle.. lf l ever forget, l tell myself "just move"

My new normal.

• Edited

Slowing down a bit is perfect if your body is giving you that message. Just stay mindful....think of exercise as ' moving' You will know how much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.