Pain in right shoulder and down arm with gall stones, anyone have the same?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've been recently diagnosed with gall stones. I've had scans etc done and told that I have "hundreds of small stones" and that my gall bladder is "packed". I have been in hospital with jaundice a few months ago, and was very poorly.

Since then I have cut all fatty foods out, I don't eat any dairy or meat, and live on fresh fruit and veg, brown rice, bread and soya and quorn products.

I've now lost nearly 3 stone in just over 3 months and have felt so much better for this weight loss, but in the past 2 months I have been having terrible pain in my right arm, sometimes in the shoulder, just behind, and down to the elbow and it feels like a tight band around the top of my arm sometimes.. But it's constant pain and makes me feel very tearful, it's worse at night and the pain relief I was taking, cocodamol,gabapentin, and ibuprofen weren't enough to take the pain away, it's now keeping me awake at night, my arm hurts all the time. I've been back to the Drs today and they have given me a pain killer that I need to take once a day, 24 hr lasting,.. The thing I'm asking is.... I've heard people say they get pain in the ribs, stomach and back with gallstones but does anyone get this pain in the arm? I would be so grateful for any replies!.... I'm on a 3 month wait for the op to remove my gall bladder, and having a key hole method,.. I'm petrified I really am xxxx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pain in shoulders and down the arm sounds very like angina, I have never heard of that type of pain for gall stones or gall bladder. I would seriously advise you to ring 111 and get it checked out, I am pretty sure you will be sent to a&e only if it is to be ruled out. Please get this checked out by medical professionals without delay.

• Posted

Hi Tracy, thank you so much for your reply, I did have a trace done on my heart and they said it's ok, although I do have an irregular heart beat, but they said this was referred pain from the gall bladder, just worries me that a lot of people say the pain is in there back, and very rarely in the arm xx

• Posted

I still think it is heart related. Seek a 2nd opinion. I know a few people with angina which may not show on an ecg as you may not have had the pains at the time of the ecg. It's not a Heart attack as I know what they looks like too unfortunately. Angina can be managed but I have never heard of arm and shoulder pain showing because of the gb.

• Posted

Hi Ali, I'm another gallstone filled person! Have every sympathy with you - this is a miserable condition and I've been ill and waiting what seems like forever for an op, although like you, scared of having it and all that entails. My operation got cancelled first due to dr strikes and then again several times for staffing reasons and such so I joined another hospital's list which means may be October before it goes through.

I am replying to your question that I have had some trouble with arm pain - it started on the left and ran from the shoulder to the ring finger. That improved but recently the right arm and shoulder are hurting. I looked this up online and the regular sites may not mention it but some of the complementary practitioners do - it is the phrenic nerve apparently that gets annoyed and links with gb trouble. My knee also hurts and this can also be linked according to traditional medicine. Of course you may have other factors that cause this as well- could be an injury or repetitive strain, I for one do a lot of typing, computer and writing work at home and did before when I worked full time.  This is likely what your dr may have suggested is the cause?

You have lost a lot of weight - I did at first but not any longer even though not eating a lot sad

I hope all will go well, I can only think if your pain does not settle to go back, or try other avenues such as acupuncture perhaps? Would a heat or cool pack applied help so you can sleep? Keep posted and you never know, we may be having the surgery at the same time and can worry in tandem haha. We WILL be OK though x

• Posted

Hi Cynthia!

Thank you so much for your reply this was really interesting especially regarding the phrenic nerve! This makes a lot of sense to my pain, and what I have been going through. I'm reading up on this and I had no idea about this nerve.

I've tried a heat pack today and that has helped a lot, I went to the Drs yesterday to look in to more pain relief sand I managed to collapse while waiting to be booked in! I have very low blood pressure and exhaustion from the lack of sleep at night hasn't helped.

The Drs have prescribed me Arcoxia one a day tablets, they have helped, but I have phoned up the hospital to ask if they can bring my op forward, but someone is getting back to me tomorrow, I know the chances are thin but I'm so scared of taking so many tablets at the mo,.. This condition is so frightening, it feels like a ticking time bomb inside you... Your support is so appreciated, would love to stay in touch xxxx

• Posted

PS forgot to say, I did have a check that it was not heart related  etc - been A & E several times in fact with what must have been gb pains but resembled heart type and I assume your dr ruled out anything like this for you as you have been about it. x

• Posted

Hi Ali,

​If this advice can be any comfort to you i just had the key hole surgery last week and was first surgery in life time 53 yrs age.

​I was so worried very nothing was very easy please let the worry go I was so scared.

​Now for the pain until you have it leave the pills alone get a fresh lemon cut and squeeze in your mouth hallf with in minutes pain will go away.

​I did this for a month and drink lots of water hot water with lemon.

I had the pain in same place.

​BEST OF LUCK TO U

​KEEP ME POSTED

• Posted

Hi Deborah!

Thank you so much for your reply!.. I'm relieved to know that someone else had this pain too! Did you get it all the way down the arm, and around the upper part of the arm,.. Sometimes my elbow hurts! It's bizarre!! But very painful!.. I feel better when I lay flat on the floor, that gives some relief,.. But it's all the time, really bad at night too.... The trick with the lemon sounds brilliant! I'm going to try this! Thank you so much Hun xxx

• Posted

Hi ALI,

​You are welcome hope you find the lemons to help you as it did me.

​No pain to the elbow just the back good luck stay healthy!

• Posted

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active but I also have recently been diagnosed with gallstones. I was admitted into hospital after months and months of ongoing horrendous pain. I was diagnosed with cholecystitis. The scan I had revealed multiple gallstones with the largest measuring at 2.3cm. The pain is unbearable. Fortunately I haven't got long to wait for the op to have the gallbladder removed. I was hospitalised 7th of January and am booked in for 28th Feb. I have also been extremely worried, the most I've ever been worried about any procedure. I am currently in agony and pain relief seems to now never work. The reason for me commenting on this post is because I also have today started experiencing pains in my right arm. It's going right the way down to my wrist at present, with the worst of the pain in the top of my arm. Kind of feels like I have an elastic tightly strapped round my arm cutting off circulation. I can't bare the pain anymore, it really is interfering with my everyday life, I've changed my diet completely but every single bit of food I eat irritates it. The pain is always there worse at other times but always there. Any ideas on best pain relief? Currently taking paracetamol and tramadol but nurse on pre assemenet says I should t take them as she thinks I may be allergic but I can't tolerate the pain so have still been taking them. I have itchy skin all over after taking them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I also tried the lemon someone mentioned above but it really isn't helping only giving me sever heartburn 😢

• Posted

Hopefully you have undergone surgery and your pain is in the past. If not, diclofenac is the only medication that helps me (similar symptoms). Be careful though, even if it can be bought over the counter, it should only be taken when the pain is unbearable, 
  • Posted

Hi its all the same with me ,i became a vegan ..but these days it hurts me so bad and non stop in my gall bladder,my back as if someones hand its grabbing my insites..and my arm 😑.before they found small many stones ,now they dont see anything.i can see a doc.2018 ..many peole on the line .cant afford doctor.im a lonely mom of 2 boys ..i feel scared for my life .dont know wot to do anymore.maybe raw vegan ..pls here is my fb meggie staneva ( i live in limassol) if someone can help me or going trhou the same ..fell free to write me ali..pls tell me how things going

• Posted

Hi all,

Did your right arm pain go away? Did you end up getting surgery? I have the pain as well but have other issues besides just gallbladder. Thanks.

• Posted

Yes that does exactly happen my gallbladder is exactly like yours and I suffer the exact same thing the dr said it's actually very common why pain killers are u on?

• Posted

I actually get pain in the back too it's horrible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.