Pain in right shoulder and down arm with gall stones, anyone have the same?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I've been recently diagnosed with gall stones. I've had scans etc done and told that I have "hundreds of small stones" and that my gall bladder is "packed". I have been in hospital with jaundice a few months ago, and was very poorly.

Since then I have cut all fatty foods out, I don't eat any dairy or meat, and live on fresh fruit and veg, brown rice, bread and soya and quorn products.

I've now lost nearly 3 stone in just over 3 months and have felt so much better for this weight loss, but in the past 2 months I have been having terrible pain in my right arm, sometimes in the shoulder, just behind, and down to the elbow and it feels like a tight band around the top of my arm sometimes.. But it's constant pain and makes me feel very tearful, it's worse at night and the pain relief I was taking, cocodamol,gabapentin, and ibuprofen weren't enough to take the pain away, it's now keeping me awake at night, my arm hurts all the time. I've been back to the Drs today and they have given me a pain killer that I need to take once a day, 24 hr lasting,.. The thing I'm asking is.... I've heard people say they get pain in the ribs, stomach and back with gallstones but does anyone get this pain in the arm? I would be so grateful for any replies!.... I'm on a 3 month wait for the op to remove my gall bladder, and having a key hole method,.. I'm petrified I really am xxxx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi did you get sorted? I have pain in right arm and back and am under investigation for gallstones. Two doctors in a and e have told me its text book gallbladder to have pain on right baxk shoulder and arm. As well as all the other symptoms. Pain is horrific. I feel as though my body is giving in.
  • Posted

I have shocking right arm and shoulder pain. And also in my back. I get pain under my ribs mostly to the right. Docs don’t seem too want to link any of it to gallbladder. Driving me insane!!!! 
  • Posted

I cut out all fatty foods but still seem to b having symptoms, last few days I'm really bad I got such a bad back in between my shoulder blades, I feel like I got flu along wth bad ears and a temperature I think gallstones effects everyone in different ways tbh some people I talk to have same symptoms others dont x I've heard the surgery is fine and nothing to worry about I have a large family who have had gallstones and whom have all gone through surgery not one of them has said it's bad bad xx least they r doing something and hopefully you will b ok sooner than you think xxx

• Posted

I'd like to recommend everyone here do some research on fat and the gallbladder. I'm no expert but it's my understanding that eating more fat (healthy fats) will stimulate bile production which will help flush out and prevent gallstones.  Whereas eating foods high in carbs and protein will cause the stones to build up. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the low-fat diet that is causing these problems.

• Posted

Hi there

I am waiting on a scan next week to confirm gallstones and I've been trying to follow low fat diet but I have heard from a dietician that what you said is actually right. I have awful pain in my arm all day.

• Posted

Tbh I think it's linked to gallstones I've been having the same issue I keep thinking it's indigestion but remedies don't help tbh x I have been told mind you that if the stones are on the move that causes pain in your arm and pins and needles in the hands x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.