Pain in the left side of throat near Adam's apple

Posted , 99 users are following.

My throat has been hurting for two weeks.  It's not your typical sore throat, it's like a pain left outside of the throat near edge of Adam's apple. It doesn't hurt when I swallow like a normal sore throat would, but it kind of has it's own little spasms of pain.  Let me describe these symptoms more specifically: Comes on and off, frequetly everyday.  It is located adjacent to my adam's apple, but further back.  (if you feel your adams apple, take two fingers and move more back, around your throat tract) and that's where the pain is.  The pain is like a little pinch.  It's tolerable, but it is incredibly annoying.  It mostly hurts on the left side. The pain is there no matter what my actions are.  If I talk, sneeze, blow my nose, yawn Somethings is pricking with sharp needle at edge of my Adams Apple. no swelling in my throat, swollen lymph nodes nor it is tight.  Rarely, I'll have to breathe deeper because of this. There is no swollen area from what I can tell.  So I'm wondering if this has anything to do with thyroid or lymph nodes? Maybe tonsils? Or throat Cancer i dont know.  I'm not very educated about the throat. ALSO, I have NO cold symptoms, whatsoever. I am on anti biotics (amoxcyclin) for a week and ibuprofen 400mg for a week. No let-up from the sharp pinch and dull aching in the left side of the neck. I only have trouble with swallowing saliva when I sneeze, yawn, talk on the phone, burp or yawn. Normal drinking & eating food is fine. I also feel very dull pain in the left ear.

Please help me.  I'm really terrified & worried about this as my grandma died of throat cancer many many years ago.

Thank you so much for any of your input or advice.

I genuinely appreciate it.

11 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello... we have the same situation..i am curious what is the cause of this?
    • Posted

Hope someone can share their experience..i am a bit worried too...
    • Posted

Can you describe the pain? Is it sharp needle like?
    • Posted

Yes it is sharp needle like.. But I went to the doctor..they said its a reflux, and its actually common for the person who always sit and work at the office..or to those who worked homebase job.. so its a professional sickness like...they gave me a medicine good for a month (40 mg for two weeks and 20mg after the last two weeks) that i will drink 30 mins before breakfast, the name of the medicine is called "Peprazom (esomeprazole Magnesium), delayed-release capsule 40mg/20mg)". My advice is if you have this kind of situation like mine, better not to eat heavy meals, avoid acidic drinks that will trigger your stomach. Then drink a vitamins that is also not acidic, I ask my doctor and he gave me "ImmunPro, sodium ascorbate Zinc". Now.. my throat is really getting better...

• Posted

By the way, the prepazom should be drink 30mins before breakfast (1 time a day) and the vitamins should drink after meals anytime in a day. Also, exercise and make our body be more flexible will also help... not only just sit and looking at the computer. smile

• Posted

well it's hard to believe I have acid reflux as I can normally digest well. Only at times when I try to squeeze my stomach in I have a pain in my gut which I don't know how is caused. i do sit for long periods of time in front of the computer. Also my throat pain has been persitent for incredibly long now.. 3 months I guess. It developed after a bad cold. Have you noticed any developement in your situation? Also do you have anxiety? (anxiety can cause tense muslces that hurt) 

• Posted

Ohh i have something unusual feeling in my stomach but there's no problem when I squeeze... i am actually in the 2nd week of medication now... and i think everything is getting better on me now. I am starting to drink the another lower dosage of medicine.. i am sure my situation is also due to anxiety... by the way i never experienced cold... hmmm the cause of the reflux too is because there's have too much acid in our stomach and due to this it goes up so I experience sore throat.

• Posted

My situation started last february... i've been in 3 doctors.. but 2 doctors can't find problem on my throat..and the 3rd doctor, found it out.. because of the symptoms too..i have the needle feeling like on the left side of my throat, and i also feel it is connected to my ears.. when i eat everything is all normal.. it is just that my throat hurt for more or less that 4 months. But when I started my medication from high to lowest (currently taking) dosage of medicine.. it is now better. Today i never feel pain.. but still i continue to drink my medicine as my doctors advise.

• Posted

Okay I will look into some natural remedies for acid reflux before I go to the doctor. And yes I have ear stuffiness too. Again anxiety related !!
    • Posted

Pls what are the names of the medications given to you. Am having same feelings too. Thanks
  • Posted

In this kind of situation same as mine..I just found out that its about to much acid in my stomach... it goes up so that is why i feel pain on my throat. I remember that I always drink pocari sweat..then coffee in the morning..which is really not good at all... please try to avoid acidic drinks and food... try not to eat hard to digest food...keep your stomach relax for a while..even sugar isn't good... that is all I can share... God bless us all..take care
    • Posted

By the way... avoid drinking antibiotics as this will trigger your stomach too...
  • Posted

I have the exact same thing only it's on the right side. I felt it back in January. It was not very painful back then and would come and go , but by April/May started to get more painful and now hurts every time I swallow. In February ENT diagnosed it as carotidynia, an inflammation near the carotid artery. He said reflux was likely the cause and told me to take antacids. I Also had swollen node under right jaw, went to PCP for it in January and took antibiotics for 10 days. The antibiotics really messed me up, bad stomach pains headaches muscle aches, entire back of neck was sore for a week. I had an ultrasound of the neck and lymph node under jaw, biopsy of the lymph node, an endoscopy, and an MRI of my head and neck for a strange lump on the back of my neck. All tests came back normal except inflammation in the esophagus confirming reflux. On another forum someone mentioned problems with cervical facet joints being the cause of the neck pain and got relief from a facet joint treatment called radiofrequency ablation.

I also have anxiety lately and I'm much more stressed out than I used to be. We had our first child in Feb.

• Posted

I strongly believe anxiety is the cause of all this. Anxiety even made me visit a neurologist cause I thought I had some kind of spinal cord compression :D Also you must note reflux is a major symptom of anxiety
    • Posted

Thanks for the info..yes I think this is also because of anxiety,so i have the reflux..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.