Pain in the left side of throat near Adam's apple

Posted , 99 users are following.

My throat has been hurting for two weeks.  It's not your typical sore throat, it's like a pain left outside of the throat near edge of Adam's apple. It doesn't hurt when I swallow like a normal sore throat would, but it kind of has it's own little spasms of pain.  Let me describe these symptoms more specifically: Comes on and off, frequetly everyday.  It is located adjacent to my adam's apple, but further back.  (if you feel your adams apple, take two fingers and move more back, around your throat tract) and that's where the pain is.  The pain is like a little pinch.  It's tolerable, but it is incredibly annoying.  It mostly hurts on the left side. The pain is there no matter what my actions are.  If I talk, sneeze, blow my nose, yawn Somethings is pricking with sharp needle at edge of my Adams Apple. no swelling in my throat, swollen lymph nodes nor it is tight.  Rarely, I'll have to breathe deeper because of this. There is no swollen area from what I can tell.  So I'm wondering if this has anything to do with thyroid or lymph nodes? Maybe tonsils? Or throat Cancer i dont know.  I'm not very educated about the throat. ALSO, I have NO cold symptoms, whatsoever. I am on anti biotics (amoxcyclin) for a week and ibuprofen 400mg for a week. No let-up from the sharp pinch and dull aching in the left side of the neck. I only have trouble with swallowing saliva when I sneeze, yawn, talk on the phone, burp or yawn. Normal drinking & eating food is fine. I also feel very dull pain in the left ear.

Please help me.  I'm really terrified & worried about this as my grandma died of throat cancer many many years ago.

Thank you so much for any of your input or advice.

I genuinely appreciate it.

11 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I have these symptoms now for past 3 years that come and go .It seems like some hard round bony or cyst kind of thing on the left side of Adam's apple that becomes prominent at times and when can be felt pain continuously .This is at times felt like a needle pain ! It stays for like 2 to 3 weeks and then becomes a little better. As per the last doctor who gave me antibiotics for 2 weeks which gave no relief,it was salivary glands infection! But,I am not satisfied with that weird answer else I should not have suffered for 3 years and still again this pain is prominent today! I have never smoked, never had any kind of drugs or tobacco etc ,I am pure vegetarian in diet! This pain is now driving me crazy as it seems that it extends till the left ear! Yes, my real sister who visited London 3 years ago was diagnosed with sarcoidosis with lymph nodes swollen after visiting 7 doctors and multiple tests,but at last one was found by a good radiologist ( relative ) .One of the biggest problem is disease getting rightly diagnosed. It's a challenge. Fingers crossed going to doctor today ! Will post details accordingly what he suggests! Good luck to you all ! Please keep posting your experience and what and why your doctor diagnosed and whether it brought relief! One more question,I also have tooth ache because of wisdom tooth, and also saliva tastes extremely salty! Anyone with some similar symptoms?

• Posted

My symptoms: Left side adams apple pain. Sharp needle like pain. Comes and goes. Been there for weeks. I also have back neck pain which is attributed to my anxiety disorder. I think this could be related to anxiety too. Do you have anxiety?
    • Posted

Hi Eddy,

How are you feeling recently? Any updates regarding your exams and symptoms? I am suffering for same throat /neck pain for almost a year and completely loosing the quality of my life. Every time I swallow saliva it hurts.

Please let me know how your Dr. Visits went.

Cheers,

Ricky

• Posted

I have same problems..to the left side of adams apple.throat is NOT sore, but so very tender to swallow even salava. really hurts to cough and when I bend over, I feel like my throat is collapsing (?)..slight ear ache now and then, plus under the left jaw, it aches.  I read on other posts that this is possibly MONO!  When I lay down, on my left side, the sensation that neck,throat,esphogus are all entangled and knotted.  very uncomfortable.   Any updates from you.???
    • Posted

Teri40400 I have the SAME sympotms as you.  The feeling of it collapsed at times.  Feeling entagled or knotted when I lay down and point my head to the left.  I do also have some ear popping as of yesterday even though this has been going on for 3 months.  I am also S/P neck surgery x2.  I have esophageal spasms and my esophagus has been crushed before.  I have a clean and healthy diet.  Do you have any updates.  You are the first one to say exactly the way I am feeling
  • Posted

SAME symptoms. Left side adams apple pain. Sharp needle like pain. Comes and goes. Been there for weeks. I also have back neck pain which is attributed to my anxiety disorder. I think this could be related to anxiety too. Do you have anxiety?
  • Posted

I have the following symptoms: 

sharp needle like pain

left side of adams apple

I think i have throat cancer (i am a hypochondriac)

irregular patterns of pain 

somedays I feel fine

I strongly believe there is a relation between neck/throat pains and anxiety as I have both. Reading the replies just made me feel better. I hope someone replies to this as I would like to know if thats really the case :D

• Posted

Dear Weezy94,

I agree with your observation in the possible link b/n the symptoms discussed and some form of anxiety. Bcs it appeared similar to me as well in many of the expressions. I am wondering if you are under any medicine for the anxiety? Because i have read that some medicine used for anxiety increases acid reflux that may subsequently lead to the pain around the adams aple. 

• Posted

which you have written your problem,same problem i have so please give me your solution what you do.(throat problem) my cell no is 09971444105
  • Posted

Same problem except mine is on the right and isnt sharp. Also comes and goes but only with saliva. I drink liquids and eat foods just fine. I looked it up and it might be globus. This is especially likely for you guys whos doctors couldnt find anything .
  • Posted

What could be going on it really hurts.
    • Posted

Go see an ENT. I spent time and money running around everywhere but the ENT. When I saw him he knew what was wrong within a few minutes. Could be an infection or globus
  • Posted

Hi,

My husband had the EXACT same symptoms but also had a little bit of an earache after a few days. Eventually the pain went away but it caused only the left side of his face to swell. Finally I took him to the hospital, and they said it all started with an ear infection. When the ear infection was draining, it caused his throat to hurt. This eventually lead to an abscess in between his left ear and jaw. The doctors just quickly drained it, and gave him antibiotics. He felt better within 2 hours.

Hope this helps!! (:

• Posted

Finally I found a website that describes my symptons! I've been searching the internet for months. I've had the same persistent pain on the left side of my adam's apple for about 6 months. At times it almost goes away, but always comes back. I also have acid reflux, which I just finished some medication for, and severe anxiety problems. Doctors haven't been able to find anything, but this gives me some hope that managing my acid and stress might put an end to this.

• Posted

Dear henry750

I agree with your points. Any specific medicine are you on for the anxiety? or anything you heard for possible relation between the medicine and acid reflux

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.