Pain in the left side of throat near Adam's apple

Posted , 99 users are following.

My throat has been hurting for two weeks.  It's not your typical sore throat, it's like a pain left outside of the throat near edge of Adam's apple. It doesn't hurt when I swallow like a normal sore throat would, but it kind of has it's own little spasms of pain.  Let me describe these symptoms more specifically: Comes on and off, frequetly everyday.  It is located adjacent to my adam's apple, but further back.  (if you feel your adams apple, take two fingers and move more back, around your throat tract) and that's where the pain is.  The pain is like a little pinch.  It's tolerable, but it is incredibly annoying.  It mostly hurts on the left side. The pain is there no matter what my actions are.  If I talk, sneeze, blow my nose, yawn Somethings is pricking with sharp needle at edge of my Adams Apple. no swelling in my throat, swollen lymph nodes nor it is tight.  Rarely, I'll have to breathe deeper because of this. There is no swollen area from what I can tell.  So I'm wondering if this has anything to do with thyroid or lymph nodes? Maybe tonsils? Or throat Cancer i dont know.  I'm not very educated about the throat. ALSO, I have NO cold symptoms, whatsoever. I am on anti biotics (amoxcyclin) for a week and ibuprofen 400mg for a week. No let-up from the sharp pinch and dull aching in the left side of the neck. I only have trouble with swallowing saliva when I sneeze, yawn, talk on the phone, burp or yawn. Normal drinking & eating food is fine. I also feel very dull pain in the left ear.

Please help me.  I'm really terrified & worried about this as my grandma died of throat cancer many many years ago.

Thank you so much for any of your input or advice.

I genuinely appreciate it.

11 likes, 103 replies

103 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have sore throat now for 10 months and I have been to 2 physicians, 3 ENT's, 1 Gastroenteorologist and 1 Allergist. When the sore throat first started I thought it was a regular sore throat and did gargle with warm water and salt. Next day I felt that the salty taste in my mouth was still there and my mouth was really dry. After months with salty taste, dryness in my mouth and also the sore throat, i went to the ENT. Like all ENT doctors he also prescribed me heart burn pills, very strong doses of Omeprazole and Zantac. The only thing that went away was the salty taste in the mouth. The sore throat had  intensified and also along with the sore throat i have very dry throat so I drink lots of water day and night. I went back to the ENT (same one) and he asked me to continue on the heart burn pills because he thinks that the acid reflux is causing irritation on my throat. As I do not feel any acid reflux or heart burn, he said the acid reflux/heart burn is silent, which I thought was strange, but I continued on the medication anyway. A month has passed and no results. This time I went to the gastro and asked her if we could do heart burn tests. She ordered endoscopy, which come out with no acid reflux/heart burn at all. But she found out that I had irritated esophagus and she ordered a biopsy. Turned out that was inflammation, so she ordered a CT of my neck. It turned out that I have small inflammation in the throat and she asked me to return to the ENT. This time I went to a second ENT. He analysed my throat and looked into my CT and referred me to a speech ENT (I forgot to mention here that the 1st ENT said I also have raspy voice, due to raspy vocal Chord box. I also have arthritis on my neck and intense pain because of that). The speech ENT, which is my 3rd ENT, looked inside my throat and did some tests with my voice. He said he did not see anything unusual and the inflammation that shows on the CT is almost nothing. He than asked me if I perhaps changed mattress and pillow of my bed. I said yes, we did get both new and firm mattress and pillow months before my sore throat started. He said that it could be a trauma on mussels of my neck that is causing the pain, caused by the firm mattress or pillow or by my arthritis and asked me to sleep in a different bed. He also prescribed me physiotherapy with a special therapist. I am changed only the pillow).I realized a liitle less pain on my arthitis, but no change on my sore throat and dryness on my mouth. I will start physiotherapy in about a week. I went to the allergist and the results are that I do not have any type of allergy. Let's see what happens next. I will keep you posted. God bless everyone and let's not lose our hopes! 

• Posted

I have similar issue.

#1 I already had a sore throat that is EXTREMELY painful, first time it lasted 5 days, I went to the hospital after 3 days, and they put me on painkiller which was fine afterward.

My swollen throat basically made it super painful, but it swollen only on the right side.

That in the past, I got checked for sleep apnia, haven't gotten the result yet, but my thoat is abnormally thin causing really loud snooring.

Recently I also got another issue, if I eat least than 3h before going to bed, I puke 1h after, a bit like acid reflux. But it's related to the slope of the bed, if I sleep on the bed no slope+pillow, I puke 1h after asleep, if I have a small elevation on my back, everything good.

I got checked for this issue, they did a few scan for my stomac and a few test for my blood. They only asked me to take the "Hepatitis A" as I wasn't protected for it. Nothing else came out of it. Will probably go to another doctor for this.

Thing keep adding up, fun.

Now I finally have what I believe might be similar to this thread.

I have a constant pain, really small pain, it doesn't block me from eating, talking, sleeping. But it still there, a small constant pain for quite a few days, I believe a week and a half. Enough to wonder what happening.

After reading this post, I take it that the 2x pillow I use, for elevation of my back, might be the cause of bad posture while sleeping which created that extra pain. I will try to prevent eating anything near my bed time aka last 6h, and sleep normally and hope the pain go away.

I have never got any throat scan.

I will have the result of my sleep apnia in 1 week and a half.

I got a total of about 8 reflux this year before figuring out how to avoid them.

Only recommendation I have so far, loose weight.

I am at 200 pounds, will try to go back to 160.

I don't smoke and I don't drink.

The problem started 9 years ago (first instance).

I am now 32 years old.

Saw my first doctor 1-2 years ago.

Will start to see a few more doctor in the future months.

I will let you know, regarding to this post, if sleeping normally get my small mild pain away. Meaning the pain came from the bad bed posture. Will post back in 1 week exactly.

• Posted

Hi did you find out what it was because you described exactly what i have
  • Posted

I have this. What happened?
    • Posted

I have the same kind of symptoms too, the left side of my adams apple hurts for two weeks now but tolerable, it's just so annoying. My breath and saliva smells and tastes different too. Did someone figured out how to get rid of this? Any medication? Thanks.

• Posted

I'm having the same issue .. can u update me on ur status now .. I would like to know what has changed or what u have done

• Posted

I am also have same problem pain is only have trouble with swallowing saliva .Normal drinking & eating food is fine. Please send me your treatment details. I am scared.

And I am not perfect in English .

• Posted

I have same problem. I only have trouble with swallowing saliva .Normal drinking & eating food is fine. Give me treatment details

• Posted

Hi there .I have the same exact aymptom and on the same medication as yours .I started having this pain one year back and since that it come on and off .I have visited my physician quite frequently and he told me there is nothing abnormal on the outside by doing physical examination but he told me that my throat is very reddish which is abnormal . But I'm very worried that it may be cancer as my family got some history with cancer .now I'm on a medication for one week. He told me if the pain is still there he will issue me to go for a scope and also a scan .

• Posted

Did you ever find out what this was? I have similar symptoms. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi all

I have a similar condition, my throat is sore on the left side i think its my thyroid but on the right side its not so much sore, the left side is only sore when i lift up my head or when i feel with my fingers on my throat just next to my adams apple.

I also noticed sometimes when i spit that my spit looks a bit redish like theres blood in it.. when i cough theres no blood and i dont see that my teeth is bleeding either, this happens like mybe 10% or 20% of my day the rest of the time my spit looks clear and normal.

Im a smoker and ive been smoking for about 10 years now, im an occasional drinker i dont love drinking that much, i have also smoked weed way back like 3 years ago just recently in the last 3 months or so had some weed twice but that was that havent smoked again since

Im really worried about this i hope i dont have a serious problem like cancer.

Can anyone please please help me

• Posted

Does anyone else have this going on!? I believe it all started at the end of July. Randomly I started getting these sharp almost like stabbing pains in my left inner ear that would happen periodically through the night and then it felt like I had a hair stuck in the back right side of my throat. Woke up the next day and both symptoms were gone. A couple weeks later i lied down and a strange heat sensation almost

Like someone holding a torch to the left side of my throat that tended to get worse when I had anxiety over it. It didn't hurt to eat or drink anything and nothing was swollen that I could tell just this heat sensation. I would wake up and it would be gone then after a few hours it would come back again getting worse w anxiety. This lasted for about a week then went away and a couple weeks later my left ear became muddled. Can hear fine out of it just sounds weird when I talk. Doesn't happen all the time and only happens when I am standing or sitting upright. When I am lying down it doesn't do it. And now I have that heat sensation back in the left side of my throat. Now I may add my stress and anxiety are through the roof bc of this and I have been having bad acid reflux. Not so much heartburn. I haven't been to the dr yet! Planned on going tomorrow but I know alls they're going to do is prescribe me antibiotics and antacids or Prevacid and send me on my way..can someone help justify what's going on w me! I never really get sick don't smoke and only drink on weekends.

• Posted

Hi I am the one that have reflux before... Now I am totally better. You can look at the page 1. I have my symptoms and medication mentioned there. Hope that will help you. If and If you have the same situation like mine.
    • Posted

But if you think you have reflux... please avoid antibiotics, antacids.. it will get worst
    • Posted

Yea I have been taking nexium every morning and it helped for a while but then I started eating spicy food and back to my old ways again and it came back. I was awaken in the middle of sleep due to acid reflux coming up my throat one time..but it's just strange how it's only on the left side..everything is one sided..muffled ear and throat..and from time to time the left side of my mouth like my tounge and the tissue where the jaw comes Together is sore as well. I do sleep on my left side 90% of the time though and if I sleep on my back i tend to sleep w my mouth open cause my mouth to be dry in the morning

• Posted

Hi yeah.. same stituation... my throat hurts on the left side and it was really a dry feeling. I like spicy food but when i have the reflux i avoid it...until after I finished it. I avoid the food, drinks that have acids like softdrinks...beers, etc. Maybe about almost a month i avoid those food and drinks that i think it will worsen to hurt my stomach. By the way, how many weeks you took your medication? My doctor prescribed me a good for a month medicines. Reflux is hard to get cured... because it affects on how we eat.. and it took so long time...so we need to have more patience...or else this will keep coming back and that is very annoying. T_T
    • Posted

After a month of my medication, still almost a month i still continue to avoid those food and drinks. So it is almost 2 months. So now I can eat anything after all...hope you will get better also and to others that have reflux.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.