Pain in upper thigh and hips after diverticulits

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anybody else experienced ongoing pain in upper thigh and hip after a diverticulitis attack. I have been told that is residual inflammation and will go.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Robyn,

My husband is a physical therapist so I am blessed with inhome treatement ever I want.  I too have had the exact same issue.  He works on them and I still need a low heating pad under my legs to calm them before I sleep (I do not sleep with it on!)

• Posted

I am on my 30th day of antibiotics from a diverticulitis attack with a perforated bowel and abscess. I felt I was finally turning a corner when 2 days ago this constant severe pain in my right hip area started up. I was going crazy trying to find if the 2 were related when I thankfully found this discussion. Ann ... does your husband have any stretching recommendations or any other advice to share on how to tackle this new hip issue? I would be so grateful.

• Edited

That is so interesting!  Yes!  It is so strange because it seems like it should not be related but everytime I have a flair up my upper thighs and hips/hip joints are sore.  This disease is so frustrating!  I can see from others posts that I am not alone in this.  I am sorry for your pain Robyn and Ann!
    • Posted

The psoas and iliacus muscles are also together called the iliopsoas muscle that line the INSIDE of our pelvis from spine to femur like the sides of the basket for our organs. A large nerve also goes over and through the psoas.  Find info for stretching and the psoas/gi issues, trigger points. Owning a PT practice, I have learned specific stretches for me, I use cupping and know the trigger points that I need to massage when these act up at the same time as divi issues.  You even mentioned something I use which is warmth.  When socks, sweats or hot bath do not work a simple heating pad is my friend!  
  • Posted

Hi robin

I have DD also and sciatica. I go to a chiropracter regularly for the sciatica and he has been really good in adjusting me and relieving pain from sciatica, he also said it can help with DD symptoms and flareups. I asked him the same type of question, he said it's related to the nerves.

Be well

Julia

• Posted

Julia...I to have had the hip and upper leg pain. It seems to get better with time but comes back on occasion. I have just moved and need to find a good chiropractor. Thanks for your info. Was he certain that it was nerve pain instead of the residual inflammation as mentioned by Robyn? I had 10.5" of my colon removed so DD is no longer an issue but was wondering about the same pain. If you know any other info it would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for a diagnosis just done other info. Thanks.

• Edited

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I ham in the midst of a flare up which started Christmas Eve. I have pains on my hips and down my legs every night in bed, so bad that I just keep turning over to stop the pain. Now I can give it an identity I feel better. I feel like the backs of my calves are being stretched and my feet hurt. Does anyone have any ideas to make this better other than painkillers?

thanks in advance for any help. 

• Posted

i forgot to say that keeping bedrocks on seems to relieve some of the pain.
    • Edited

Design-girl hope your feeling better. Get on psyllium husk ASAP. You must flush your system more regularly and this product will accomplish that for you. I have been pain free now six years running and still eat whatever I want in portions. I have a 90 year old Dr tell me that product is why he has been able to live so long. Please note you must speed up your processing of food product through your colon and psyllium will make that happen.

Lastly, the antibiotics you are on will kill all good and bad bacteria in stomach. Make sure you start up the good bacteria again with yogurt and probiotics.

Please understand this divertic is manageable and does not have to destroy your life. Diet, weight, and stress must be manage with divertic.

Get well soon.

• Posted

Better late than never, I thought I would tell you the if I am  laying in bed I drop one leg off the side of the bed as if to put my foot on the floor though trying to keep by back from arching. I am stretching the psoas.  Also for me I find it helpful to lay on my side and find the knot in the middle of my buttock and rub with my knuckle when I feel pain down my leg.  Then I but a heating pad in my bed before I get in if it is cold to warm the sheets so my nerves dont go crazy.  If all else fails even if I am groggy I get the cupping set out and put them where needed.
  • Posted

Robyn I also had the pain and in my hip on my last occurance several years ago. Pain has a way of migrating and a warm bath with epson salt help relieve the pain along with street
  • Posted

Yes also had that area of pain. Bathing in epson salts and stretching and massage all helpful to work out that area. Drink plenty of liquids and keep taking psyllium husk so your flushing out your colon.

• Posted

Hi Robyn

I have suspected DD and i have had pain in my upper thigh and hip too.  I thought this was a seperate issue so although i am not glad that others are in pain it is good to hear i am not on my own with this.  I have heard that excercise and keeping active is good for the DD but i am finding this difficult with the pain in my left leg and it also tires very easily. 

I hope you are currently well

• Posted

My pt husband taught me to lay on the bed and drop the leg off the side as if I am trying to place the foot on the floor to stretch my psoas, while keeping my back from arching.  Also on the side of my thigh I rub or cup to release and relax.  If I feel weak it usually means the muscle is also tight causing me an imbanalce.  Gentle stretching works wonders.
    • Posted

Thank you Ann ,

I will try that , any suggestions are useful .  These forums have so many people with lots of good advice.  Since December i have been struggling to get much information on what i can do to help myself.

thank you for your reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.