Pain killers & BPH

Posted , 11 users are following.

So today I have a stiff neck. I've been contemplating taking aspirin ,ibuprofen, acetaminophen etc. Then I got thinking this may aggravate my BPH. I looked online to see if there might ba a problem but didn't find much. Whats your experience with OTC pain killers and BPH

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ibuprofen seems to reduce my BPH symptoms, probably by reducing prostate inflammation. Hank
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies fellas. 
  • Posted

NSAIDs like ibuprofen, Aleve, Celebrex etc. can reduce inflammation in the prostate temporarily. There are studies showing that nighttime bathroom visits can be reduced with Celebrex. 
  • Posted

I generally don't take any OTC pain killers. I think they are ore effective when I do take them. This stiff neck is killing me today though

• Posted

Unckle, This is a quote from Healthline :

"Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are popular pain relievers that have a conflicting relationship with BPH symptoms. On the one hand, some studies have found they shrink the prostate and improve urinary symptoms. On the other hand, research shows some NSAIDs can worsen urinary retention.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and aspirin are examples of NSAIDs."

Basically, peeing easier (my experience) with more retention. Take it for your xxxx neck. 😁 Hank

Hank

• Posted

Before I began my BPH treatment last year, I also developed a stiff neck.  To make a long story short, I tried physical therapy that was mostly massage initially, followed by light band and weight exercises to strengthen back and upper shoulder/neck muscles.  Also, they prescribed some stretches.  Mostly helped.  Other than the baby aspirin, I take every day, I try to avoid pain pills.  Everybody's different.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Unckle, it has been my experience that ALL of the affect the prostate. For me Tylenol is the worst, but even Ibuprofen, and Naproxen affect it. I guess its different for everyone but they do all seem to affect it, if you already have an enlarged prostate.  I took 2 Tylenol last night and could barely pee at 2 a.m. when I got up to go.

Hopefully after my FLA on the 19th I can take anything lol.

• Posted

I decided not to take any pain relievers and let this stiff neck run its course. Thanks for the input fellas.
    • Posted

Forgot to say Best of luck to you Joe for a successful procedure
    • Posted

Thank you Sir. I am excited but very nervous. I am hoping its a good investment.
    • Posted

Who is doing the procedure? Right now its looks like 70% of the men on this forum that have had it are doing great. The other 30% had other issues that FLA may not have been able to overcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.