Pain killers & BPH

Posted , 11 users are following.

So today I have a stiff neck. I've been contemplating taking aspirin ,ibuprofen, acetaminophen etc. Then I got thinking this may aggravate my BPH. I looked online to see if there might ba a problem but didn't find much. Whats your experience with OTC pain killers and BPH

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Don't go by me, but I take naproxyn (Aleve) for relief from prostate pain.  Mind you, I have to be in a lot of pain, before I'll take one (and ONLY one), but it does seem to work ... for ME.  Who can say for sure?  For the next guy, using the same strategy may work against him.  Just a note of caution, my friend - with Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS - which is what you've described in your post), you may be increasing the risk for GI bleeding, which you won't be able to perceive.  If indeed you are bleeding somewhere in the GI tract, then it will be evidenced by the elimination of either dark, tarry stools, or stools that looks like coffee grinds.  Just be careful.  The one exception to this is acetaminophen.  It doesn't cause GI bleeding, which is why it's the analgesic of choice in a clinical setting.  However, with prolonged use of acetaminophen, one risks liver toxicity.  No advice for you - except to say - that if you ARE going to try, say, aspiring therapy for relief of BPH pain, then start off gradually, and maybe run the idea past your healthcare professional.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks Alan. Pain killer are not for prostate, I have a pretty bad stiff neck. Trying to figure out  which drug to take for relief

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.