Pain Levels of Fibromyalgia

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All

When I was diagonosed with Fibromyalgia it was rated at 4/16. My pain is severe to the point that when anyone places their hand on my back it is so painful. I have pains in my hands fingers when I hold anything.

My level has been rated as Mild Fibromyalgia !

Not sure how pain is measured on a scale ?

Anyone shed any light on this ?confused

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've never heard of a scale for Fibromyalgia it sounds like a very bad idea!! I'm not sure that there can be mild fibromyalgia, that's shocking! 

Sorry Bee I can't shed any light on this, it's an awful thing to do to you!

• Posted

just the presure of clothing hurts me cant wear anything like belts tight waist bands thick seams even a necklace hung round my neck will give me pain . 

so your not alone ,but have no idea how the pain leval is measured sure they make it up as they go along .

• Posted

I may have to agree with you. People with Fibromyalgia are being treated as case study to the professional and even they don't have a clue about it. I feel it's all trial and error !!
    • Posted

i get really upset because both my conditions cant be seen so you feel like when it comes to bennefits you have to keep proving how much you go thru and it all sounds so ilogical  , how do you make your symptoms which are many sound real to someone when you cant make sence of them your self 

• Posted

Wish everyone lived where I am, my Rheumatologist is excellent! I was diagnosed many years ago by a rheumatologist who is now retired but the staff who've taken over all appear to be just as good!

• Posted

lucky lady  so glad someone is getting the help they deserve 
    • Posted

Hello Shelagh,

Be interested to know where you do live, and also what they do for you.

Only because the rheumy I saw diagnosed and referred me back to doctor. Seems to be a common thing for a lot of people. Thanks.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

same with me , i have no idea what my pain leval was when i was diognosed

all i no is some days i cant bare to be touched , and other days its not as bad , the pain and fatigue is bad enough but all the other symptoms drive me mad .on top.  tonight its going to be a hot shower followed by some freezing gel on my sides and round my ribs because they are so sore..at the moment .will get me to sleep for about 4/5 hrs better than nothing .

• Posted

Hi Anne, I go to Westmorland General Hospital in Kendal, Cumbria. My consultant is a lovely lady called Dr Wood, she's tried different tablets, had scans done, most of all she listens. I've seen other Rheumatologists in the team and they are all good. 

Hope you're having a good day,

Shelagh

• Posted

Never ever heard of it..unless dr's do it..and just keep it private for their records/themselves and other doctors...unfortunately Fibro pain can be really through the roof one day and much better the very next...but still there.....it would be very interesting to know what the benchmark is for this..have a lovely day..be blessed..:-) xx
  • Posted

Hello Bee,

Totally agree with others on here. How can this pain possibly be measured, unless on a daily basis! As we all know it changes from day -to-day, and moves around. P'raps you could ask whoever diagnosed to explain. But never from all the apptms, research and people I have talked to has Fibro been judged on a pain scale. Good luck

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Hi Bee I have just dug out my diagnosis letter and it says that I was rated as 18/18 and that I flinched very badly at all my fibro points. I was also diagnosed as 18/18 by another rheumatology clinic. The thing is I also have cervical and lumbar degenerative disc disease and facet joint disease plus widespread arthritis and this is clearly visible on my mri's therefore would the arthritic joints not be the same as the fibro points?
    • Posted

Hi Gizmo1963, My rhuematologist stated he was shocked to see me looking so well with someone complaining of severe pains around the whole body. That was his first initial reaction on meeting me. He did all the questions with me and touched all the painful tender areas. He said as I carry on with my day to day life and are able to go to work I have a Mild form of Fibromyalgia and stated I scored 4/16. To be in the extreme I would struggle to get out of bed just to make a cup of tea, and spend most of my time in bed. I hope no-one ever gets to that level with this suffering.confused
    • Posted

i dont see that hun leaning against seamed clothing or a seam in a chair causes me awful pain , if i stay on my side in bed i am ok ,but if i roll on to my back i wake in agony and struggle to get out of bed .

but the one thing i have to do is get up because the pain is to much

really bad days sit in my recliner most of the day getting up for the toilet is pain .and if its not in my back its in my feet . i think you were unfairly rated 

we all try and do our best we try to move as much as possiable we try and stay positive as we can ,  because everyone tells us its the best thing to do , then the medical people say because we are doing our best that we cant be suffering that much.

will somebody please tell who is right .frown

• Posted

Hi Bee yes, I think it's to do with pressure points - you may be right. As I also suffer severely with arthritis too I actually reached the stage where I'm in so much pain and so fatigued I had to stop working after spending years in an office based job. Many days in a week I just make it to the bathroom and back and have to stay in bed. I wake in the night in agony and can't move my body or lift the sheets off me. I was always a very strong person before all this happened working 3 jobs and raising my 2 children and always taking them to zoos, parks, friends, little breaks away - I was fully of energy and my friends cannot believe I am like this now. Luckily my family and friends are all very supportive as they knew how I was before becoming ill. Bee, I really hope that your symptoms don't progress further as I remember when mine were just mild and I just totally ignored them xx
    • Posted

You are always right Tina..your the only one that really knows..your living with it 24/7. Do hooe you get some relief really soon...and fir someone to say "you can't be suffering" just because you try to help yourself..is just beyond comprehension..really feel for you...take care...gentle hugs..be blessed, hope you have a better day today than you did yesterday..:-) xx
    • Posted

i had a really hot shower this morning number 9 on my back thats full heat

then i apllied cold gel to my back with a spatula so the two extremes helped take the pain away a bit . 

• Posted

Well done you a Tina, whatever works for us we do..that's for sure...good thought, I'll remember that one..:-) xx be blessed..biggrin
    • Posted

if i do it at night it gets me of to sleep ,so i get at least 4/5 hrs before waking up.its not a lot but its something 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.