Pain on both sides of abdomen below ribs.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My pain started below the right rib around 5 months ago. It’s like a tight burning pain. Around two months ago it spread to the left side as well. No pain in the middle. The pain is always there but it generally is worse on one side than the other. It’s about a 3 or 4 out of 10 pain. I’ve had ultrasound, endoscopy, liver function test, and h pylori test and all came back clear. I can’t find a relation between food and the pain but excercise seems to make it slightly worse. My bowel movements vary between 1 and 3 times a day and are generally soft but not diarrhoea. 

Anybody else experienced anything like this or can shed some light on what it is? It’s reakky starting to get me down now. 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Meant to add, the only other symptom I seem to have is quite a lot of burping. Don’t feel bloated, just a lot of random burps. 
    • Posted

I joined here for my mums sake as she’s having constant burning pain all around her upper abdominal, she gets gassy to, when she hasn’t ate anything it gets worse and she can’t find a relation between food either. She has an ultrasound on Wednesday and awaiting a endoscopy I’m terrified Incase it’s something more sinister, did they say if you have an ulcer or something else? 
    • Posted

Have you been feeling the burning pain for months or does it come and go?
    • Posted

I have days that are better than others but it is generally always there. It started right at the start of this year. 
  • Posted

seems you are in the inital stages .. did you have HIDA scan to check Gallbladder  function, if not ..do it.
    • Posted

Initial stages of what? I’ve not had a hida scan, but I go back to see my GI in 3 weeks so will certainly bring it up with him. Would gallbladder problems cause pain on the left hand side? 
    • Posted

your gallbladder might function less or more .Normal range is 35% to 85%. Ultrasound showed no stones for me and hida scan showed my GB is working 0%, it was in 2011.I  get frequent bloating,burping if i eat any fatty/protein or oily foods.They asked me to remove GB during 2011, somehow i was in control of my diet and last year i run in to severe digestion issues after eating in restaurant where ultrasound showed stones. Still on the sidelines to remove gb or not as i also have been diagnosed with gastritis. For me bloating and burping is a concern compared to my gb pain and  doctors and surgeon are not sure if gastritis or gb causing this, so hence still in sideline.
    • Posted

gallbladder problems can cause pain only on the right side.but when it flares up , you can get acid refulx and that may cause gastric pain on left side.i also came across many post who had left hand side pain with gb issue.
    • Posted

Many thanks for ur explanation. I’m definitely going to bring this up with my GI. Do u ever get pain on ur left hand side with it? 
    • Posted

Left hand side pain is more of gastric/acid reflux/ulcer problem.But if endoscopy is clear, then GB may be causing it.
    • Posted

Do u ever get nausea? I get very motivated of nausea as well but again I can’t relate it to food. 
    • Posted

Sorry, that’s supposed to say mild nausea 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.