Pain on right side (Liver)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Dear Friends, Hope you all are fine. I am 33 years old male and my gall bladder was removed 3 years ago. Till one year after the removal of Gall bladder, everythign was fine. But now for the last 1 year, i am having troubles related to digestion and constipation. My digestionis very slow and i often get constipated. I also feel tenderness and pain on my liver side. 3 months back, i had ultrasound anf LFT test and everything was fine. But my problems are there. I feel that my digestion is very slow and i sometime feel burning in my stomach. Constipation and bloating in intestines irritate me alot. I also feel itching on my skin sometime. I also lost 2 kg. i am already little under weight. I heard that slow digestion, itching and pain on right side can be related to liver cirrosis. is this liver problem? Is anybody there feeling same things? Do i need any other dignostic tests? What can i do to get rid of these problems?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi,

I had my gallbladder removed back in 2005 and it was 3 years ago that i started having problems, i too get pain on right side and can be bloated but not from issues with liver, i suffer from urgency to go rather then constipation (except when i try to go before leaving the house and then needing to go 5 minutes later haha) though it looks like i may have a problem with the ileo cecal valve (not spelt correctly) so have to go onto the mainland for tests as it may be bile salt malaabsorption, not the same as all your symptoms but the pain and bloating is. what has the doctor tried? 

• Posted

Dear Ian, thanks for your reply. I went to Dr and he prescribed me omezrapole capsules and a digestive enzymes. But i dont think i have stomach problem. I think these problems are due to liver.  My main problem is the my digestion is slow and constipation. Before i never get constipated. I used to go to washroom every morning. I think when i get constipated, it also slows down the digestion. I also tried fiber etc but they don't work. I am fed up of this constipation and i hate it, Are you taking any medication Ian?
  • Posted

well mine is slightly different as its not a liver issue for me,

i take ranitidine for heartburn,

Colesevelam and codiene phosphate for the condition i have plus i have to go for a sechat test. I was tested for wheat and dairy free at one point too. Like i said though i dont suffer from constipation

• Posted

hello imranch its the liver that makes the stones that pass into the gallbladder. thats why some get stuck in the bile duct. because the stone is passing into the gallbladder from the liver.  im taking pain relief and feeling terrible i think its making me worse. very sore stomach and constipation and slow metabolism. since i started on the pain relief at first it was okay and now making things worse. so i just take paracetamol. im still waiting to have gall bladder removed. i have been so tired and sleep in my bed most days. try not to take anything with coedine or opiate unless short term and for terrible pain as i think for me its making everything much worse. hope this helps and you get some relief.
    • Posted

Dear cheeky, i already have been gone through from all these problems. I also tried my best to save my gall bladder by taking pain killers and  anti biotics but eventually my infection and pain did not go away so dr removed it. If you are having severe pain and infection in gall bladder, get it removed because any leakage of bile can cause liver damage. But after removal there is no guarantee that everything will become normal. My gall bladder has removed but i am facing problem of constipation and slow metabolism. But some people have no trouble at all after gall removal. so it depends on person to person
    • Posted

YES INRANCH thanks for that. yes im having anti biotics and the pain killers but as i said mostly paracetamol. i am getting the gallbladder removed. on the 11th april. i had a chance before but through fear of everything i'd read i said i had a cold. and i'v done nothing but suffer ever since. but im glad i did because now i know im getting it out because of pain and not because of fear.as it would have been before. as i'v read people saying they want their gallbladder back. but i know im doing it for the right reason.when you get a scan they can see the state of your liver so if you had liver cirossis they would see it.on the scan as i got told my liver looked nice and shiny. and iv had liver disease. hepb and hepc. i dont think anything could be worse than what im going through now, its 3pm in the morning and im just out of bed to have a look at mail and drink some soup i had made ealier as im in and out of bed all day long and im to afraid to eat anything solid so iv blended this sweet potato soup and even thats painful. thanks and good luck to us all.🙏.
  • Posted

If your liver function tests and Ultrasound are clear, there does not seem to be evidence of liver issues clinically anyway. The problem is that digestion is so complicated and different organs can in fact cause similar symptoms when they are out of whack. You know when you have had gallbladder issues that there will have been some functional issues for quite a while and often times, acid reflux or IBS is found with gallbladder disease.

I would suggest maybe asking for an H Pylori test, if you have not had one, to rule that out as a cause of digestive distress, as this bug triggered off a lot of trouble for me, even after treatment. I still have my gallbladder, awaiting removal as I have so many of the symptoms you mention even before removal and it has stones. I also had a CT scan which revealed hiatus hernia and divverticula whicvh can also cause all the above symptoms and more!

Also have you had a test for celiac and food sensitivities?

Some people post op find digestive enzymes and ox bile supplements, also probiotics can ease the discomfort.

Do you know why you are loosing weight - is this due to not eating much, or cutting back on fats etc? If there is no obvs reason for the weight loss, I should then go back to the doctor for investigations into why as this may be indicative for an underlying condition . Take care and good luck.

• Posted

Dear Cynthia, thanks for your reply. My major problem is constipation and slow digestion and i think i am loosing weight because of these. Yes when i get contipated i dont feel to eat. I am thinking to see hepatologist again but 4 months back ultra sound and LFT were fine. no i never had  H Pylori test but i will ask dr if i need this. I dont eat fat much because its really very hard for me to digest. I think my metabolism is getting slow and that is why i lost 2 kg weight.
    • Posted

Dear Cynthia, you said that in your CT scan, you found  hiatus hernia and divverticula. How did you get treated for this?
  • Posted

PS to post: Also look up gastroparesis as you mention slow digestion - I don't know if this applies to you but I have some of the symptoms of this, maybe due to my other conditions of course.
    • Posted

So cynthia,  how did you treat gastroparesis? what is the test for this?  are you ok now?
    • Posted

Hi They can run tests for this, on how quickly your stomach empties etc. Depends on yr hospital which one you get done I think. If they find there is a problem then there are various medicines that can be used to help speed up the transit times. Although there is no "cure" as such unless there is an underlying condition causing it that can be corrected. I have not got to that stage as they are going to wait and see if it was the Gb or not. You may not have this condition but its just something to bear in mind. Hope you get to the root of your problems soon.

• Posted

Hi, Imranch.  There is a condition called fatty liver, that can cause tenderness. You can search the condition on line.  I would ask for a CT scan, because there is definitely something going on!  Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing!
    • Posted

dear Lynda, 4 months back i had an ultrasound and liver size was normal in it. LFT was ok too. yes something is going on but i am not getting what it might be. Constipation, slow digestion and metabolism are my problems. I will see hepatologist again soon.
    • Posted

Hopefully, you'll get more information.  Please let us know.  Lynda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.