Pain relief

Posted , 15 users are following.

Good Morning , I am new to this, but at the moment I'm wishing I had never had this done. I had a TKR done on Friday, the epidural and sedation didn't work so had to have a general. The pain relief I got whilst in hospital was good, came home yesterday and all I've got is paracetamol and coedine, which has no effect at all, slept in 20 minute intervals all night. Our dog had her crucial element ligament done about 17 months ago and she was on better pain relief. I am honestly regretting what I have done, sorry for sounding so negative.

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh I so feel for you Diane my initial pain management was awful too, you should demand more, I'd speak with your GP or get a member of you family to.  I have found diclophenac or ibuprophen gel gently massaged around the bruising to be excellent relief.   You can take ibuprophen alongside paracetamol and coedine, not to mention tramadol/morphine, I believe good regular sleep is essential for a good recovery and how can you exercise when you are in such pain.  Don't apologise I feel the same some days even now but they are rare now..... Cold compresses help, drinking lots of water and keeping you leg elevated when it swells are all good tips.Hang in there it does get better......all the best Suki
  • Posted

Hi Diane, I am glad your dr gave you some more ain relief, keep taking all your meds regularly and ring if you need more. Mine too hmmmmed and haaaad but I said I needed them. It is only for a short while and tthen you realise oh i missed a tablet, but atm keep on top of meds it is easier than getting back on top of pain. Also rest when yor body tells you, ice knee, elevate it and drink plenty of water. Ice became my best friend. Best wishes for your continuing recovery, x
  • Posted

YOU WILL SURVIVE  AS YOU READ THESE POST YOU WILL SEE WE HAVE ALL FELT THE SAME I AM 6 WEEKS HAVING BILATERAL TKR YOU MUST BE GIVEN THE RIGHT PAIN RELIEF TO HELP YOU COPE PLUS ICE REST AS MUCH AS U CAN AND HAVE SOMEONE TO TALK TOO IT WILL FELL DARK SOME DAYS BUT U WILL GET THERE 
  • Posted

Good Evening all, 9 days post op now, and I'm doing ok ish, I think. Am on top of my pain killers now, but will have to ring the doc for some more so will probably get the 3rd degree again. Have been doing my exercises regularly, icing up to about 8 times a day, even had little walks down the road and back, got my first physio terrorist appointment tomorrow, not looking forward to that, but having difficulty bending my knee and got really bad hip pain, but other than that am doing ok. Thank all for your kind words on my first post here, went into major melt down and even wanted my mum, but sadly she has been dead for 12 years, so your kind words meant a lot to me.
    • Posted

Hi Diane,

Glad you're feeling better. Looks like you're doing well and managing your recovery perfectly..

Hope there's no 'terrorist physios' reading😎

Best wishes,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.