Pain under left ribs

Posted , 57 users are following.

Hi,

I've been having recurring pain under my lower left ribs for 5 months now. Dr has tested bloods, all normal. Had full cardiologist check, ecg etc all normal. The pain initially felt like a really uncomfortable ball under my ribs and I struggled with sitting for a couple of days. Standing, walking etc all ok. Lying down helped but not on my back as it felt like something was pulling at my ribs.

Was put on lanzoprapole and felt not too bad. But after a small holiday, lots of food, moderate alcohol it niggled away but not so bad as first time and recently it's flared up horribly.  I had one day I had to stay in bed as the pain went all round lower left side and stabbing pain in the back. If I sneezed it was very very painful.

I've got a gastroenterologist appt in over a week so should find out more but wondered if anyone else has had similar symptoms?

I've no idea if this is related to pancreas but I have had multiple doses of antibiotics that I've discovered can cause this in pancreas. My pain is most definitely left side and right at the bottom of the ribcage. 

0 likes, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Fiona,

I've been experiencing the same things, except the pain isn't very severe and really only started a few days ago. However, I have been experiencing constant diarrhea for about two weeks. my GP did blood tests and the only abnormality was that my amylase (pancreatic enzyme) was a little low. she also tested me for food poisoning and other viral/bacterial infections. So far, nothing. Last stool sample done Friday was testing for C Diff and H. Pylori. no results yet. I'm scared senseless that if these come back negative it means I have pancreatic cancer. Did you, or are you aware of any other commenter here, who experienced diarrhea in addition to the pain?

Thanks,

Terry

• Posted

i have this as well in a off for a few years it is so hard. Blood work good xray good ct comes back next week but I had one a few years ago The pain is constant ups and down sure wish i could help you but know you are not alone

• Posted

so far The only thing they can find is diverticula’s and that’s it I still have the pain

• Posted

Hi Fiona. I've been having discomfort below left ribcage. worse when lying down and getting worse cus trouble sleeping. it is not a sharp pain but the discomfort gets worse with pressure e.g. from side sleeping. I also feel something on right side but much milder. periodically i will get what feels like aching muscles around the back over where the kidneys are, but then this goes away. In fact ive only had this during 2 periods about 6 months apart along with some diziness. I also feel that the left side of flank/obliques is slightly more bulged but almost impossible to see. Also convinced myself it was pancreatic cancer but abdominal ct revealed nothing except the fatty liver i know i have. Been told its probably splenic flexure (both sides though?) or diverticula but my instinct says it isnt. At this point i feel that it is more likely kidneys but who knows. the only thing that came up in past blood work was high uric acid. I also have been diagnosed with IBS and mild diverticula from colonoscopies. I also get random chest pains in different locations that only last seconds. Was told to just ignore really. I often feel like a complete hypochondriac but these pains are real and i worsening. I worry sooner or later it will turn up to be related to something very sinister. This forum is the only place I found with mention of similar symptoms. the internet is full of the same old nonsense and find myself searching all the time and just getting worked up.

• Posted

Hi to everyone..... I am also going through very similar issue....I was going through a very stressful/intense 2 week period at work (small business owner).....Was constantly catching myself not breathing well, putting pressure on my stomach....after the stress finally ended I was feeling extreme tension in my abdomen and started getting a pain below the left ribs.....I would only feel this pain when under pressure , when brought to some emotional intensity (probably not breathing), or when I would bend/sit, twist.....and it started to feel like something was in the way of my ribs and stomach....like my ribs were stabbing something.....I was driving my riding lawn mower, hit a bounce, my ribs went into my stomach, and omg did it hurt......I went to the doctor who gave me a muscle relaxer and said its abdominal muscle strain from the stress.....sounded reasonable.......2 weeks later pain persisted.....next doctor said its IBS from the stress......went on an anti-spasm with the muscle relaxer......helped some.....the muscle tension I was feeling had lessened however the pain under the left ribs has persisted.....I feel it anytime I stretch the area or contract it.......I can sleep comfortably except trying to sleep on the left side......it feels like something is there that shouldn't be........I have experienced increased gas and started using gas-x to help......Doctor did an abdominal ultrasound and it was negative......just said stick with it......Well we all know our pancreas is in that vicinity so its not so easy to just accept waiting it out without ruling out something more serious (my uncle died of pancreatic cancer.....I shared this but he is not a close enough relative to be considered a threat to me)......So I asked for additional imaging which they refused and they referred me to an ortho to check my ribs and a GI.....Of course it will take weeks to get into the GI.......Dr.Google is evil.....sometimes we forget google will prompt us to the things it knows we will click on, not necessarily the most relevant to our search.....so of course everytime I search something it comes up pancreatic cancer or pancreatitis........I am having no real digestive issues other than gas.....I don't feel more pain after eating..... just this pain that's going on 2 months.......The pain now feels more like a burning feeling......I'm also feeling it intermittently on the right side(I stopped taking the muscle relaxer which may have been masking this) and have had back pain in several areas of my back.......Like others I don't feel it much walking or sitting or sleeping......mostly when I twist or bend or have to extend my body in some way..........I found a doctor who wrote me a referral to get an Abdominal MRI next week. If nothing else to help ease my mind......It gives me some comfort to read your stories and see I'm not the only one feeling this undiagnosed pain and doesn't lead to the worst case scenario we all imagine.....

• Posted

Did you ever get any answers? I'm dealing with the same pressure/discomfort and also waiting on my imaging appointment. Dr. suspects IBS, but as you know, it's just such a strange feeling that I'm nervous that's not it. Hope everything came back good for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.