Pain under left side ribcage....

Posted , 44 users are following.

About a week ago I woke to a pain on my left side under the ribs, I thought I'd slept awkwardly but the pain didn't go as it usually would. The pain is like a stitch/pulled muscle/gas sort of pain but with sharp stabbing pains also.

I ended up in A&E and was admitted whilst they ran tests. I tested positive for the protein that clots release but a vq scan ruled a clot out. I had orotein/blood in my urine but doctors said this is normal in a woman of my age (34). An ecg and chest xray both came back clear. I was then discharged and told it could be muscular skeletal.

It's about a week since the onset of pain and it does feel less painful when turning in bed etc but I still have this pain under my left rib. If you have ever been pregnant, it's the feeling of baby with its foot in your rib. It's still twinging to my back. I have also got random sharp pains in my stomach and it feels a bit bruised. Bowel movements are softer than usual but not diarrhoea as in I have to go urgently and extremely regularly.

In general been feeling under the weather for weeks. Had dental work and infrction 5 or 6 weeks ago and have had numerous doses if antibiotics prescribed; could this be a link? I have eaten live yogurt to avoid thrush. I am aware of gassy noises/feelings in my gut.

Any help is appreciated. smile

3 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Antibiotics and other medications kill off all of the good bacteria in our guts so it could very well be related to that and a good probiotic would help to replenish the gut flora.
  • Posted

Well I have has an abdominal x ray which revealed nothing. More bloods and urine testes which were all clear. Awaiting stool results. The pain has eased and so has the bloating and gas but I still have the feeling of something under my ribs. I still have some sharp drawing pains on the left and like a muscular strain feeling on my left mid back. Gp and doctor in hospital are thinking it's bowel related and could be gastritis or ibs but they don't say ibs until you've had issues for at least a month. Hospital doctor advised if pain still there in a week I can ask gp for an ultrasound. I asked him directly if it was cancer or diverticulitis but he said no as diverticulitis would show up as infection in blood tests and cancer would have other symptoms even if mild before pain as pain is the last stages of cancer and that would also show in bloods I think!
    • Posted

My left rib pain has decreased significantly in the past few days after treating the gastritis and taking "Move Free Joint Health" which has Glucosamine Chondroiten, MSM and something that helps build cartliage. (Got rid of my other aches and pains, too!). I also tried to avoid wearing a bra those few days. Thankfully it was cool here, so I could wear a hoodie. 
    • Posted

Hi I know this is an old forum, just wanted to chat her up and see what your update is? I am also Petrified of the worse. I have pain on my left side and it's really annoying.

I just finished taking a mild antibiotic, for a uti, not sure if this would cause this. Just very nervous. Tomorrow going for ultrasound and sonogram.

• Posted

Hey! What did you find out? I took cipro for a uti and now have terrible pain in back (left side) under rib cage....I'm worried.

• Posted

Hello.

So i think im in the same boat here.

Left upper abdominal pain under ribs.

Pain can be worse from laying or sitting. The pain radiates round my back to. My left shoulder always hurts to. I have had chronic pains for months now. Also been having hot flushes for about 8months im 26.

Feels like it burns sometimes to.

I suffer with acid problems and ibs.

Im aware i have a diastasis recti with two weakness. Some of the pain is due to a large muscle knot that keeps forming. 

How are you getting on?

• Posted

Back pains too 😔😑

• Posted

My pain finally went away. They did X-rays and couldnt ever give me an answer. I really feel like it was from the cipro.

Sorry you are having trouble. Hope you get some answers. 

• Posted

They found nothing but I can tell you that I now tell doctors I can't take anything in the cipro family. That really did a number on me

You will be fine 

Stick to probiotics

• Posted

Hi, I wondered if you had any outcome? I have the same symptoms that you describe. Upper left below rib pain, pain in left shoulder and back. I also suffer acid problems and IBS. Where my pain is I also sometimes feel like it’s pulsating. I have had lots of bloods done, ECG, x-ray, mammogram, ultrasound, CT scan all have come back normal. Was in A&E on Sunday evening due to severe pain and needed morphine to get pain under control. Doctors have given me no thoughts about what is causing my pain. I’d be interested to know of any outcome you have had and how you are doing?

• Posted

All i got told in the end was its intercostal neuralgia. But  then my drs said nothing about it. Other ppl disagreeded with that dignosis. I still get the pains now, but nolonger like constant burning pain more of a dull constant ake, still worse when im laid flat at times, my shoulder still feels not right somedays, i have new issues going on too, at the point where i give in trying to figure out this rib pain. My guess is its something todo with my muscles , have you had any luck getting answers? 
  • Posted

My abdo pain has eased a lot but I woke this morning really sweaty; I could actually feels my body was wet. I am on my period so could be hormonal but I'm usually a freezer. I also have aching shoulders. I am wondering if this is all connected? Googling brings up horror stories like lymphoma etc. I'm going back to my gp today for answers. I've always suffered tonsillitis etc and also notice a funny feeling when I swallow and right side is slightly harder and larger than the left. Any thoughts?
  • Posted

Have you found anymore information about this? I am having the same exact thing happen to me, but had no luck at the ER

. They could just tell me what its not, and not what it is.

• Posted

Hello Katran, I have an adernal/peritoneal cyst.  It was found on an NHS ultrasound (missed by a privately paid for one a week or so before).  It is quite large at 6-7 cm and I think it moves around resulting in intermittent differing pain.  Google says cysts over a certain size are always malignant but this isn't the case.  My consultant has assured me it's benign and I have to be monitored regualrly for changes etc.  I would ask for an ultrasound and take it from there.  Good luck! x
  • Posted

Hi biigagirl my name is Irene & seen your article & want to give you some advice... I would think your Gaul bladder where it radiates to your back!!! I have had a lot going on trust me it started w/Colin cancer @ 37 so I had to have my colon removed(to make a long story short) I became very ill was in Boston hospital for almost a year on a vent for 45 days so I had lost a huge amount of weight in a very short time .. I want in weighing 120 & went down to 65pounds!!!! I came home & I was getting this same thing that you are describing &I my first emergency room visit was oh you have had a lot going on with your abdomen but needless to say it didn't go away ... My nurse had my husband bring me back in to the hospital & that's when I found out it was my Gaul bladder ... Do not play around w/this because if it become infected (mines did)!tryst me you will feel like your dying!!!! Please look into this & lmk if I can be any help.. Good luck feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.