Pain under ribs on right hand side

Posted , 115 users are following.

Hi, for 5 months now I have been experiencing a stitch like pain under my ribs on the right hand side. I had my gall bladder scanned, all was ok. Had liver function test, all ok. Kidneys scanned - all ok. Test for ulcer - all ok. The pain is intermittent.

Not sure if it is connected, but five months a go I stopped taking sugar in tea and switched to sweeteners (aspartame). I got through 100 tablets in two weeks. My stomach ballooned with gas and I belched a lot. The pain appears to have come on shortly after this. Whether the sweeteners had anything to do with it, I don't know. I am male, 40 years old, reasonably fit and a non smoker.

Thanks.

2 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If your Gallbladder isn't knackered then you could have a Duodenal Ulcer / Duodenitis / Gastritis, a month or two on Omeprazole would clear it up smile

I realise sugar might not be perfect but sweeteners definitely aren't neutral

Paracetamol will help,, don't take Ibuprofen / Aspirin exclaim

• Posted

I do have gastridis. I take nexium. Have had gallblader checked. Ok.
  • Posted

Thank. I have been breath tested for an ulcer and all was clear. I was also put on omeprazol as one of the first things the doc suggested.

Any other ideas?

• Posted

Damian hi, i had the very same pain under my ribs on the right hand side,went to the doctor did a bunch of test ,gallbladder ,liver ,kidneys liver etc. and every thing was OK--but the pain continues,so i started researchingon my own, and discovered a Herbal Supplement called MILK THISTLE you can get it at any health food store in liquid or tablet, i use the liquid, just a couple drops in a glass of water especially before eating greasy foods or drinking alcohol does the trick.God Bless the lady who told me about it, im now pain free! also you can get DIGESTAWAY CHEWABLES biggrin IT HELPS
    • Posted

Seems like your saying how to helpwith the pain but not what causes it. When I researched it biliary colic came up where it said taht eating greasy foods can contribute to it.
    • Posted

Sounds just like me. Starts up out of the blue and lasts for few seconds or minutes sometimes a dull ache occasionally a sharp pain.It drives me nuts and then I'll realise I've had no symptoms for a while and think I'm OK and then it disappears for months sometimes years only to catch me out again when I've forgotten all about it.Used to drink peppermint tea to relieve it but now I've got lpr I can't take it.

• Posted

Maybe you should ask to get referred for an Endoscopy and get some actual eyes on what's going on down there smile
  • Posted

I've had the something on and off for 15 years, I've had all the tests and nothing?? The pain can then go through to my back and give all the symptom's of gallstones and ulcers!!!! Sometimes the pain can be really bad indeed but no medical outcome and my Doctor/s have just passed it off now as IBS. Taking Omeprazole can relieve the pain and acid but that leads to pain in my lower bowl area. Really sorry not to have an answer to your problem but knowing there are others with the same thing might be reassuring in some small way. It lasts around 8 months and gets better really slowly for another 2. I can then go 2-3 years with no problems but there again I can have 18months of hell with it. Good luck.
    • Posted

I have had the same problem on and off for 2 years, i have this pain on my right side, its under my rib area and sometimes it penetrates through to the back and up my shoulder, all signs of gallbladder problems, i had at one point extreme upper abdoman pains between my ribcage at the same time. i was admitted to hospital one night as i was in that much pain with a temprature , i could not get comfortable and the only thing that helped the pain was a hot water bottle.

I have had numerous scans and xrays over the past couple of years including , hida scan, ultrasound, x ray etc, no abnormalities were found with the gallbladder, no stones detected. Ive had camera put up and cameras put down and all they found was an old ulcer scar. I get this pain for a few months then it goes and comes back, I had the pain for a whole year at one point then it just dissapeared for a few months. The pain was that bad i was on tramadol and oral morph at the same time, it got to a point after a while the pain killers werent even helping anymore. when it comes it can last for months or just weeks. It effects my job as i have to take quiet a lot of time off work, recently ive just changed my job and even getting a common cold can trigger the symptoms, im worried its going to start effecting my new job, been there 3 months and already been off twice. i was seeing the gastrologist and as they havent given me a diagnosis they gave me a leaflet and said the only other thing they can think of it being Is IBS, although i dont have any symptoms of IBS, bowel movents are fine, no stomach cramps only this pain on my right ribs.

I have given up going to the doctors but i just want a diagnosis , it gets me down to the extent i become emotional and depressed, tired too as i cant sleep with the pain, the pain wakes me up at early hours in the morning. the pain seems to flare up more in the evening and night than during the day.

My mum went through the same thing for over a year going back and forth to doctors with pain, they discovered gall stones and removed them but then her gallbladder perferated in the end and she had to have it removed.

I have been thinking about asking the doctors to remove my gallbladder to see if it solves the problem as apparently the gallbladder is like the appendix and not needed,

• Posted

Agnes-I've been experience the same! Started with pain on right side right under the ribs. Had been going on for a month now.

I've lost my appetite, don't like to eat as it makes me feel more full. Even stopped having normal bms.

The pain is sometimes dull, other times sharp. Certain foods definitely make it worse.

I've had an MRI, 2 CTs, an ultrasound and just had a HIDA today. No one can get to the bottom of it.

I'm in so much discomfort, and have no energy from malnourishment at this point, I haven't been able to work. I'm worried about losing my job if they can't find an answer soon! This has all been extremely frustrating and is starting to make me quite depressed.

• Posted

Of course you need your gallbladder to digest fats. I've heard of people having gallbladder removed and it doesn't solve the problem. Once it's removed you will have a continual drip drip of bile in your system... Not a good idea. Research it first. Too late once your organ has gone!
    • Posted

Hi there I had my gallbladder removed as I had a 3mm stone in it . I have the same pain had all the tests was told it was muscle 😯 which I know in myself it isn't so I am just living with it as the doctor just keeps dismissing it
    • Posted

Wow Dave, not sure if you will ever be on here to see this, but you just pegged my issue to the T! Right down to its time cycle of waxing and waning...I cannot believe it! They find nothing. For some reason the months that mine starts to get better are during the summer and gets worse starting in the fall, benn a 3 year thing for me. I recently considered that I might have h-pylori over growing in more than just my gut because I did long go have an ulcer that was from the h-pylori. I read that many folks have h-pylori and it goes undiagnosed. Thought maybe it wasn't really ever irradiated when I was treated SO I got some Manuka honey and started eating it as it has shown to kill h-pylori better than antibiotics, also mastic gum. The first week eating the honey my pain went away...not sure if it may have just been my regular "getting better" period. But when I ran out of the honey the pain came back so I went and got more of the honey and it started getting better again. I

Still have some pain but not much...again it could be my regular getting better part of the cycle but I am willing to keep trying it up see if it might go away . Manuka honey is expensive though. I sure wish these belly troubles were more easily diagnosed. Sure are a bunch of us suffering out here. Sending up a prayer for everyone on here and who visits for answers and healing.

• Posted

Hi Debra,

I've similar to what you describe, I had GB removed 6 years ago, was told my GB was diseased due to stones, so they removed it as I was experiencing pain at left shoulder blade, the pain stopped after the op, but for over 6 months now I've developed an issue on right hand side which radiates across my back and often across to the left side, this often depends how I sit, if I move my middle core I feel a pain.

I've had an upper abdominal ultrasound and X-ray, nothing found, don't seem to be getting anywhere with the doctors either, all they do is refer you to a physiotherapist which I know will only make matters worse.

I've another appointment with the doctor next week, I'm just going to have to be hard on him to get to the bottom of this.

• Posted

Maybe get a second opinion as your symptoms are same as mine and mine is gallstone in neck of gallbladder and im due an op at end of month ive been in agony off sick from work etc just need sorting

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.