pain when coughing

Posted , 10 users are following.

I Am 8weeks post op after Total abnominal hysterectomy and stil getting alot of pain when coughing. How long does this last, I also feel like ive been kicked in the stomach too, is this normal

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Luisa..

I had my op on Nov. 11th... and yes... feels like a "kick" in your gut when you cough still... I haven't been coughing or sneezing thank god...but I just did, and yes.. still feeling it.

Doc said it would take a while more to get over that.. things are STILL MENDING, HEALING, RE-ATTACHING.... crazy... but there was a lot of things they did in there... we have to be patient I guess..

And to someone seeing us, normal, dressed up & out.. "gee , you look GREAT"... but they don't see the inside, the healing.. they don't understand..

I'm right with ya girl!  Slowly we will get there this year smile

• Posted

Luisa

I had my op on Nov 11th too and I agree about the pain when coughing,,,,,have you tried using a towel or pillow when you cough ?

• Posted

Hi Dee

yes I used a pillow during the first few weeks, I had op 3 Nov but still getting that pulling ache when I cough, was hoping after 8 weeks that would go but through chatting to others it seems that it can take a few more weeks or months for that to go.

Cant wait to feel me again

thanks ladies so good to speak to others in the know

• Posted

I think we ALL want to feel like us again sad

Day by day ladies... day by day!

smile smile smile smile

• Posted

Yes definitely I would love to feel my again 😜. But yes Iam 7 weeks after my full op ans still fell like I've been hit by a bus 😟. But let's hope lady's it's been worth it in the end 😘
    • Posted

Sorry about my spelling lady's it's my phone lol
  • Posted

We do need to remember we have all undergone a major op that has been a big upheaval to our insides......We just need to try and not rush things it is hard I know I am bored not being able to do what I used to do and feel bad that I need help.....but girls we will get there in the end and it will be all worthwhile cheesygrin
    • Posted

YOUR RIGHT DEE... WE HAVE HAD SOMETHING "MAJOR"... BUT AGAIN, WHEN PEOPLE SEE US, THEY DON'T SEE "IT".. THEY SEE THE OUTSIDE.

I GO BACK TOMORROW TO WORK, AND I AM GOING TO GO AT A SLOWER PACE THAN NORMAL...  USUALLY I AM MULTI TASKING DOING 5 THINGS AT ONCE... I THINK I WILL STICK WITH "1" TO START, LOL..

I THINK IT'S IN A WOMAN'S NATURE TO "WORK" TO "MOVE" TO "DO".., IT JUST IS...

WE WILL CERTAINLY GET THERE... WE HAVE TO KEEP IN TOUCH HERE.. I WANT TO KNOW HOW EVERY ONE IS DOING.

• Posted

We really will get there, we are women after all smilesmile.

good luck at work.hope it goes ok and keep us posted.

definitely would be good to know how you all get on .

for the first time in weeks I can actually talk to people who fully undestand even the little bits.

• Posted

Yes very true ladies, im just inpatient and hate asking for help still.im due back to work in 2 weeks, my head is saying its fine and im ready but not sure my body will agree.

How long do you ladies intend to be of work.

Emotionally my head is all over the place, went into full menapause and on HRT now so trying to come to terms with that aswell.

• Posted

I've got 12 weeks off but just into my 7th week. When did you have the op only go back when you are ready. It's been a big op. 
    • Posted

Hows your recovery going Sam, souns like we are about the same stage
    • Posted

I had my op 15th Nov with everything taken away. Iam in to my 7th week ans still feel like I've been hit by a bus. Still got 6 weeks left of work Iam hoping I feel alot better by then. I've put on 2 Stone and feel very big I think i have a lot of water not sure. Going for my 6 week check up next week it's late because of Xmas.  My sleeping is rubbish and I get hot flushes at night. I could go on lol 😢
    • Posted

Aren't we all Luisa, lol... I HATE asking for help... I even get up after and re-do, lol...

I totally understand your "head saying fine", not sure body will agree.. perfect way to say it... I have to use that one at work tomorrow!

Sorry to hear you went into menapause... doc left one ovary in me.. I do not have that... hopefully that will smooth out for you!

Keep your chin up!!!

• Posted

Did they put you on HRT if not you need to go on it.my consultant put me on it within 24 hours..I know it can take seveal types to get it right for everyone but so far so good mine seems to be working ok

hope your 6 week check goes well for you

• Posted

Yea menapause isnt nice especially within 24 hours. HRTdoes eork and stops the symptoms but doesnt stop the weird feeling of womenhood gone.

dont get me wrong ive had the kids and never intended to have more but at 44 I still feel very young to have had it done, I feel like an old women at the moment lol

• Posted

I don't won't hrt because of the risks. One of them are breast cancer. So Iam going to try and go with out it. Iam due to see my docter this week and he wants to put me on hrt. I had to wait till now just in case he mist any endometriosis that was left. It would die by now. Iam 40 years old. My two friends I've had it done and they didn't go on hrt and are ok. But I will try if not i will give it ago.
    • Posted

I can understsnd that Sam . luckily they got all my endometriosis during surgery. I was due to give it a go without HRT but went into full blown menapause very quick so consultant said to go on it.

if you can manage without then I say go for it and lucky you but dont suffer with night sweats etc when you dont need to.good luck and hope they sort your weight gain out that cant be good for you all that water retention

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.