Pain where gall bladder used to be-except I had my gall bladder removed.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my gall bladder removed 20 years ago. The experience leading up to the surgery was horrible--weight loss, no sleep, no food. Once I was admitted to the hospital (after going the ER), my gall bladder was removed the following morning. The recovery went well with ZERO pain since. Until now! About 3 weeks ago, it started. It is the SAME pain I recall having 20 years ago. Except, I don't HAVE a gall bladder. Anyone know WHAT this could be?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It most probably is gallstones in your bile duct.  I have the same situation and generate a large amount of gallstones.  You should have an MRI to confirm.  They will conduct an ERCP to clean your gallstones.  You need to find a doctor that is experienced in conducting ERCPs.
    • Posted

Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.  It is a procedure that combines upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy and x rays to treat problems of the bile and pancreatic ducts. It is conducted to go into your bile duct through your mouth to clean gallstones in your bile duct.  You can google it as ERCP for bile duct gallstones.  You will learn more about it.
    • Posted

They you Marie, will do! (although the procedure sounds a little frightening; surely they put you to sleep?) smile
    • Posted

I meant "THANK" you Marie. smile
    • Posted

If you require an ERCP, yes, you are admitted and you are under anesthesia.  It will be all based on your MRI whether you have gallstones in your bile duct.
  • Posted

Hi

I have the same. Gall bladder removed 6yrs ago and felt great. However the pains come and go with a vengence now.

Nothing shows up on tests, the doctors say it is just rogue nerves. The pain is excrutiating.

• Posted

Marketa,  Have you done an MRI to see if there are any gallstones in your bile duct ?
    • Posted

Yes and nothing there. The pain can be triggered by " forbidden foods" or by periods of not eating much at all.
  • Posted

Kidney infections/stones OR Pancreous Issues, what side is it on? Your left or right?
    • Posted

Just under 1% of the Population has their Gallbladder on their LEFT, Same rings true for Apendix....... but with Apendix, 2-3% of the population has it on their Left............
  • Posted

HI Joe,

Always a good idea to go in to the doc for tests, your pain could be telling you something. Not everyone reacts the same after GB removal. I had mine out in my twenties and they removed the bile duct at the time. Never had the same pain again. Yet many times rushed to the ER the GB symptoms mimicked a heart attack. After tests no heart problems so gave me pain meds sent me home. Took many years to discover it was gallstones. So glad to get it out!

It could be something serious. I never take my health for granted. Sometimes the simplest things can be just that and then again we are not doctors.

• Posted

They have taken your bile duct out ?  How was that done?  What are the consequences since you no longer generate bile? Have they restructured to go directly to your stomach?  Like to hear more about this type of surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Marie.

my bile duct was diseased from stones stuck in it for many years.  I had open surgery the incision about 6" . It never bothered me since. At a very young age at 29 I'm sure my stomach muscles were in better shape than they are now after several children. For more info plz see bile duct removal with GB. 

• Posted

What did they replace your bile duct with given that you need some type of path / tube ?  Where was it conducted ?  Any doctor/hospitals who conduct this you can share?  I have not found any topic regarding taking bile duct out.  If you have any links you can share, that would be terrific.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.