Pain with broken ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I broke my ankle Feb 21, 2020. they said i broke 3 bones. on Feb 28, 2020 I had ankle surgery where they put pins and screws. I was in a cast all the way until March 11, 2020 on that day I went to the doctor they remove my cast and stitches and I was placed in a walking boot but no weight bearing. I slept in the walking boot for 2 weeks until I was told I could remove it while I sleep. I be in the bed all day so sometimes I have it on and sometimes I don't. on March 28, 2020 it made 4 weeks since my surgery I am experiencing pain. sometimes it's a sting pain and sometimes it's a tight pain. my toes also be numb and swollen then the swelling goes down then I could move my toes. it seems as if my ankle will fall off from this pain if I lay on my side the incision be hard as a rock and it hurts on both sides and in the back of my ankle I don't know because it's cold or not. I don't go back to the doctor until April 8, 2020 which then it will be 6 weeks can anyone tell me if they know what is the pain I'm feeling Thank you all!❤

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

A little about me. I had a trimalleolar fracture 2/14/2019. Months of discomfort, going for pt which is a must, started back to gym/spin Jan. 2020. I always knew that I would have metal removed. Had that done on 3/02/2020. Today 3/10/2020 had surgical staples removed and life is good. I am in a boot and will start pt for 8 weeks next week. I already know this was an excellent move and I'm happy I did not wait to have the plate and screws removed. My bone has healed perfectly as seen in x-rays at the doctor's office. The stiffness I experienced even after a year was from the metal in ankle. Right now I am feeling no stiffness and hope it continues. I am so grateful to be feeling this well.

Everything you are experiencing is normal. This will take a long time to feel like your old self. You have to be patient. This is coming from a woman who has no patience. Don't be to hard on yourself. Take one day at a time. I found elevating my foot and icing was very important. I put a large pillow to elevate at night. Everything you have mentioned I have been through. Take it easy . I hope you have someone helping you. Good luck!

• Posted

GM Jessica, Thanks for responding. Thanks again, for that information because I been living in hell God knows I'm ready to go back to work and drive again. yes, my husband is here to help me. Thanks Love and you take care and may God bless you and your family during this Covid 19❤😘

• Posted

Hey ayanna1208. it's is typical for the pain it's just healing!! I did the same thing! broke my in three places I got two metal plates with 20 screws

just stay off it!! Ask your Doctor if you could do a little PT at home!! Google it and it will tell you that's what I did!! But don't over do it!!

Everything will be alright!! God Bless!!😊

• Posted

GM Jc05751, Thanks for responding ok now I know that's the healing process I feel a little bit better. I haven't put any weight on it at all. I try doing the ankle alphabet, but sometimes it hurts I just wiggle my toes. Thanks for this information I feel better now take care of yourself and I pray that God keep you and your family safe during this Covid 19 be blessed!

• Posted

Wow 20 screws?!?! I had two plates and only 12 screws. I thought that was a lot 😂!!!

• Posted

I also had plates and screws put into my ankle (triple arthrodesis) on Feb 13. I now have a boot that I remove for sleeping. If I try to turn my ankle sideways or even bend my knee while sleeping, I also experience intense pain. Sometimes I sleep with the boot on to avoid the pain. Like you, I also have a check-up appointment on April 8. I was informed on Friday that the appointment will be over the phone due to the virus (bummer). I still need to get an x-ray done somehow before hand. I will let you know what my doctor says about the pain. You are not alone.

• Posted

GM Marktech, Thanks for responding. I'm sorry to hear that you have to do an appt over the phone. I think since I start sleeping with the boot off on my side that's probably way. Thanks for your experiences with this now I know I'm not alone. yes, please let me know what your doctor said and I will also let you know what my doctor said. I hope they call you and tell you to come in. You take care of yourself and I pray that God bless you and your family during this Covid 19. Be safe and be bless. I will be in touch!

• Edited

Hello, I feel ya! I broke my ankle (lateral malleolus - fibula) and 5th metatarsal on Feb. 13th. Had surgery on my ankle on March 5th. Was put into a CAM boot on March 17th with weight bearing as my body allows, but no weight bearing without it. I still waited a week before I put down my foot with the boot on.

Though I have had the zaps on my ankle now and then and some discomfort on it because of the boot, my metatarsal has started to have more pain, though not intense. I read in several places that it is normal considering I am starting to weigh bear a little.

What is getting me now are all the other sensations that go with all this. My foot has been spasming a lot the last few days, but without pain. I think it is my muscles "waking up." My toes get tight from swelling when my foot is down a lot and this can inhibit them from moving as well as when my foot has been up the majority of the time, like you. They also are super sensitive when I lightly massage them and parts of them are experiencing numbness and an electric zap feeling to varying degrees. I live in Florida, so my foot often feels hot, and the ball of my foot is pressing too much into the bottom of the boot and has developed a pressure point sensitivity that drives me nuts!

The part of all of this that I find the most difficult is trying to interpret what feelings are normal and a sign of progress, and what parts may be a cause for concern. I have nothing to compare it to as I have never broken a bone before. I see from many post that this is also a common feeling, so I am grateful for this forum!

I do take comfort in the fact that my swelling is minimal, and many symptoms are relieved when I elevate my foot and/or when I ice it. I have to remind myself to look at it logically that I am not seeing signs of a problem, but am experiencing healing. But damn it is easy for the less analytical side of the brain to run away with the worst case scenario. None of us want a set back. The experience of it all is unpleasant at best.

At any rate, I just wanted to share my experience so far because reading other people's stories helps put my experience in a more comfortable and understandable place. It is hard to do this when no one around me can relate. And with everything else going on in the world, it is nice to have people who have been where I am now to assure me that what I am feeling is normal.

And that is why I want to share my progress. There are a few of us very close together in surgery times and it helps me to see I am not alone. It is a huge comfort when those that went before us reassures us that these things are normal. And I wish to assure those that are or will come behind us that they are not alone in their questions, feelings and experiences.

Sorry to be long winded. Guess I need to get this out. I wish everyone quick and easy healing, and much progress. Thank you for allowing me to have a voice! Stay safe!

Gina

• Posted

Hey Gina, Thanks for sharing your story I know that we all will be alright it's just the healing process that got everyone feeling down especially me I want to go back to work I brought a new car that I haven't even drove yet. it sounds to me that you are almost done healing. I'm glad you have shared your story and I hope by sharing it you feel better. I go to the doctor on April 8th I will let you know how it went until then stay safe and I pray that God keep you and your family safe during this covid 19 be blessed❤

• Posted

Thank you for sharing as well. I hear you, I certainly have my days. I am scheduled to see my doctor on April 7th, though not sure if that will happen due to the rapidly rising cases of Covid-19 here. But if I do get to go, I will share my results as well. I wish you and yours, and everyone here safety and healing!

• Edited

Hey Gina, I pray that you can make it out to your appt despite of what's going on and yes please keep me updated please be safe until then😘❤

• Posted

everything you are experiencing id part of the healing process

For those of you who are just beginning this journey patience, friends and family will help you get through it

i broke my ankle 7/5/2019 had surgery on 7/11/2019

Four weeks in cast, then had that removed, stitches removed and given boot w/25% WB

At about 7 weeks I was told I could FWB and begin PT

I think first 4 weeks are the most challenging mentally. You go from a very active life to sitting around and being dependent on others not to mention getting in and out of the bathroom!

It does get better!

Im back to my normal routine 8 months later

• Posted

Hey Sandra. I'm glad to here you are back to normal. I had my cast on for like 2 weeks and I been in a boot since March 11 with no weigh bearing. Yes, this is terrible I want to walk, drive do something other than sitting around complaining and hopping around. The medication is breaking my skin out like flakey and some of my hair is coming out. I'm on Hydrocodone 10-325 and it is so strong. Right now it feels like my foot is burning I'm so ready to walk. I go to the doctor on April 8th which will be 8 weeks for me I hope I could start back walking then. My right leg is so small right now it looks crazy I'm not wearing no shorts this summer and the scars from the surgery looks so ugly. Thanks for sharing your story please be safe and I pray that God keep you and your family safe during this Covid 19 please be well and at blessed!❤

• Posted

It's been 6 months since I broke my tibia & fibula. A plate and a lot of screws put me back together. I can say that it has taken me this long to start to feel better. I can walk a mile without swelling up, still aches some and have stiffness in the morning, but so much better. This was not a quick recovery. I was dedicated to physical therapy. I feel your pain & frustration. Hang in there - there is light at the end of the tunnel! Ice, elevate, do your PT exercises, but listen to your body. I pushed too hard too quickly and was set back a couple weeks from pain and swelling from tendons. You'll get there- and probably a lot faster than me!

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry you was set back a couple of weeks. I'm glad you are doing better. Wow 6 months that seems like a lifetime for me and it's only been like a month in a half. Thanks for sharing your story please be safe and I pray that God keeps you and your family safe during this Covid 19 be blessed!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.