Painful

Posted , 10 users are following.

Had my THR Friday. Had a bad reaction to the medication in hospital. I was vomiting and passing out. Did not het out of bed for two days so that prolonged my recovery. Came out of hospital today and I am struggling with the pain. I feel my left is a lot more painful than my right hip. But it's only day 5 I'm sure it will get better. X

4 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi heather, 

oh dear ... I am so sorry that you are in so much pain, darling .... is your pain medication agreeing with you now and  strong enough? was it managed while you were in the hospital and upon discharge ?

I am not sure what to tell you except that it is very early in recovery - I read on your profile that this is your 2nd THR surgery ... 

are you full weight bearing and did you get physical therapy in the hospital ?

apologies for all these questions - 

feel better and if not, call your surgeon - I don't think you should be in so much pain ...big warm hug for now

renee

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It's been 18 months since I had my right hip replaced but I can not remember being I never so much pain. I phoned my gp this morning and she has asked my to up my medication. Did not have physio in hospital I just needed to manage the stairs then they said I could go home. I have the nurse coming today to check everything over so hopefully everything will kick in. X

• Posted

I know how you feel .... my experience exactly - My 2nd THR surgery was 6 months post-op the 1st one - I even told my surgeon that I was in much more pain - his answer:   "Probably you don't remember it anymore ..."

Maybe he was right - he also told me to not compare the 2 surgeries, but I do anyway - ... 

be very gentle with Heather okay?  no need to rush or push yourself - as long as you do your ankle rotations and footpumps in bed ....

all is well -

• Posted

OH boy as many THR are done every year every once in awhile something goes wrong.it should have not happened I too had a bad experience with pain machine. Crazy things happen. 

the staff should have had all your medication history. It sounds like you were given an over dose. Do you know what the pain med was. It couldn't be a reaction allergy since all that info is on file unless someone gave you what your allergic to without checking your med history. I was in bed 2 days the first time it didn't seem to slow my heeling.

Hope you can find pain meds that work for you. It's very important for heeling.there are many available.

keep up all the the exercises walking and glute squeezes. In 6 weeks you will be thru the hard part. 

wishin in you heeling blessings thru your journey.

• Posted

Hi Heather

I can totally empathise as I had a similar experience I could not eat anything for over a week and just felt sick and nauseous. I tried everything with my pain mess and at day 10 gave up and it was paracetamol after that.

I found like lots of people the first two weeks were the worst. I couldn't be bothered with anything or anybody. I knew from the advice on this site to do my exercises.

Now nearly week 4 I can fully weight bear and physio were delighted with my progress. Hang in there girl it does get better. I say that after one of my worst nights sleep ever !

I hope you feel a lot better soon. Hugs Sandra xx

• Posted

Hi Heather

I am ten days in and I was exactly the same . The pain shocked me I was not expecting that . Agony. All I can say is stick it out .. Pain is less now and every day gets lesser but by no means gone . I upped my meds myself to 3x30 mg codeine, 1x40 mg invupropen and 2x paracetamol every 4 hrs in the day as what they gave me was not enough . Think the first week passed in a drugged haze where I slept al time . So yes it does get better and if ur in agony and it's safe to do so take more drugs ! You may be out of it but but preferable to the pain as long as you remember to do a few exercises to stop it stiffening up . Elevation and icing good too . Stick with it trust me X

• Posted

Ohh my love I know it well , poor you . I'm 11 days post op , was 6 days in hospital and 3 days until they could get me out of bed . I'm resistant to morphine and have really bad reactions to painkillers . I have really struggled with my pain because most things don't work on me . Day 5 is very early indeed . Rest rest rest , In between do your exercise , foot pumps and butt clenching is important for now , I do a few more exercises on the way to the loo but then back to bed . Every day things do get better but you must rest so your tissues can start to heal and muscles can start knitting together . Then you can slowly build up your strength . It's a long slow journey . From day 5 to day 11 there was so much change . But all because Iv rested .xxxx take you pain meds regularly , so important to keep on top of it xxxxxx

• Posted

after reading all these lovely comment I cried when I got to your. Just the releef that I made not the only one and there is nothing wrong.Thankyou for your kind thoughts. Will let you know how I get on. X 
    • Posted

Bless you heather 🙏🏻💖 please just rest , your body has been through a horrendous trauma .the pain dose get better . I'm in bed with box sets 👍🏽And chocolate 😉 I do my exercises , I go for a wee and I get back in bed . It's a long journey but it's 1 day at a time x keep in touch heather 😘😘

• Posted

I'm sure it will get better...very early days.  Keep wiggling those toes!  All the very best!

• Posted

Thank you all. Hi my 

Can not remember the first two days but getting a few flash backs like looking round and seeing a nurse squeezing a clear liquid bag into my drip, being sick and a nurse putting oxygen tube around my neck.

I am home know but can not get comfortable as my knee aches like hell. 

Been back to hospital twice to have my dressing changed because of leaking. But apart from that all is well. Ha ha ha. Hope Anne and yourself are well. X

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your knee.  It seems a bit ironic that after hip replacement the knees start playing up.  I guess they are taking more pressure after the rocking gait!  All the best!
  • Posted

Well you finally got through it!

But don't push yourself! I tell that to everybody because everybody seems to want to 'skydive' after a few weeks. Lol!

I was on pain meds for about 6 weeks mainly because I was still in PT for that length of time.

I am 1 1/2 years out and still have some occasional pain and twinges.

Take your time!

Good luck to you!

You'll get there!

• Posted

Oh hun, I had a reaction to morphine too, and then they gave me too much without realising and it was a hairy six hours, but we come through it, and we know we can do it. I am completely with you on the hell that is the reaction, and I was put on paracetamol after that. It is very painful the first two weeks (to put it mildly) but every day it gets a tiny bit easier.

I spent all of my time in bed until it eased a little, and slowly moved out of bed into chair, and then down stairs and so on. Slowly and carefully. I did my exercises on the way to the loo and back and in bed, just take every day and night as it comes. It really WILL get better I promise, you are through the worst, now you are healing you are home and safe, allow your body to guide you, if something doesn't feel right don't do it.

Nothing has gone wrong, it is just life without morphine (at least you don't need to worry about withdrawing) at some point you will be very proud of how strong you have been (if you are not already) and some day soon you will be walking and enjoying life again.

For now, you are in a cocoon, try and keep everything as comfortable as possible. Remember to put soft furry covering under your heels to avoid sores, eat to be well (fruits and vegetables, or smoothies if you can't face it) Move as much as you can in bed, feet, foot pumps etc, and just let yourself feel better.

Sending you huge hugs and love, and if the pain continues to be agony call the dr - and they can give you something else. xx

• Posted

Well this is week three and I am still on two sticks because of all my setbacks.

It was my first time out yesterday with my sister but I did have to hire a wheelchair and by the time my sister pushed me around the shops and got home I was shattered even though I just sat there. 

My leg still has not healed yet and still have a dressing on.

But it is a step in the right direction. X

• Posted

Hi Heather, 

wow ... that is pretty good ..

I am sorry to hear about your leg though ... How was your scar closed? dissolvable threads or clips ?   

Is there still seepage coming from scar ? When did you see your surgeon last?

It is not so strange that you got so tired eventhough you just "sat" there.. So much energy and impressions that you took in ...

So, rest up darling -

Using 2 sticks is also normal for 3 weeks post-op -

sending you light, love and healing 

renee

• Posted

Yes heather week three was bad for me ... Into week 4 now and a bit better . Would not be healed at three weeks ... I don't have a dressing bit my scar itches and throbs and stings .. Think it is a long haul

!!! Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.