Painful and stiff walking

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi folks

my surgery was cancelled April 3 because surgeon broke his leg but I now have new date may 30 

i am having so much pain and stiffness in both legs the past few days when trying to walk, even with a cane. I'm taking ibuprofen and Tylenol 3  but pain still there Is this normal or do you think I have something else going on?

i think any muscles I had in my upper legs are gone through lack of exercise although I did do the preop exercises until the pain got too much for me

any ideas?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ginny,

I did have my THR on April 3rd but I did experience the same thing.

When the op date was first set I actually could do more and then had a downward spiral and felt walking was just so hard the few weeks before the operation.

I think the first (burst of energy) was psychological - you know, YAY I'm having the operation all is right in the world.  But that burst almost made me think I did not need the operation.  So who knows maybe both were playing tricks on my mind.

But I also think our lack of ability to continue good exercises (aka pain) probably plays a part in it.

If you've read enough here in the forums you know the GREAT NEWS is when you wake up from the operation all of the pre-op pain is gone (really it is).

So sorry you have to wait - just a few short weeks.  

Best and remember to keep us all posted on how everything goes (now and after). 

• Posted

Hi Kebra

thanks I just feel so frustrated but I guess I'm not alone. I suppose I'm feeling sorry for myself too. 

Do hope you are healing well.

my best wishes to you

• Posted

Hi Ginny

I was so stiff and in pain pre op quite normal. The end is in sight not too long to wait now keep moving as much as you can the fitter you are the better the recovery

Good luck keep us posted

Julie

• Posted

thanks Julie for your good wishes

im counting the days and will be so glad when May 30 arrives

Ginny

• Posted

Your whole body is struggling, keep moving but also get as much rest as you can. No need to wear yourself out. You'll need your strength for after the op. BW Lisa. 🛀

• Posted

hi Lisa

im trying to keep moving but it really is so painful

but the end is in sight so I will persevere 

Ginny

• Posted

i had such an incredible downward spiral the month before my surgery that I was truly shocked. I just couldn't believe that suddenly I wasn't able to walk at all . I didn't realize it was even possible not to be able to walk. It is very unfortunate that you geared up psychologically for the surgery just to have it cancelled for a very long time.. two months may not sound long to people but when you waiting a lot can happen in two months with the diseased hip.. this is very very hard

• Posted

hi Libby

yes, it is unbelievable that I can hardly walk

ive always been active and used to doing everything myself, I now have to ask for help getting groceries, etc and housework---- forget it, dust bunnies are forming on lower furniture as I can't bend down low

hope all is well with you now Libby

all the best

Ginny

• Posted

Today I went to my first physio and my gait  so bad she thought I had had a knee replacement. My knee is kicking out badly. My operated leg feels much longer than my non operated one. I see the surgeon tomorrow. . 
    • Posted

One thing that may help is doing some pool walking and arm movements e as you will need arm strength after surgery to maintain your hip safety and 90 degree restrictions ( if you are having posterior).  OUr local pool has hip and knee classes. These help maintain your strength for surgery but but more importantly will have you be able to move pain free and enjoy movement.  I met someone who came to the pool daily just  because moving elsewhere is not possible. Hope this helps Ginny
    • Posted

Hi Libby

sorry to hear about the leg discrepancy hope it gets sorted at the surgeon's appointment 

thanks for the advice about arm exercise and walking in the pool. I have been doing arm exercises at home and I do have strength in my arms. We have aquafit classes here however I have a lot of trouble now getting in and out of my car and I'm exhausted just trying to go anywhere so stay home.

I'm 78 years old and a widow so until the operation and recovery time is done I will be mostly housebound. My granddaughter helps when she can and will drive me to physio after the operation until I can drive again. She works and is on an afternoon shift so she can only help mornings.

I have been able to drive up until this past week when I seem to be deteriorating quickly.

thanks and I do hope you get healed fast

Ginny

• Posted

Ginny I thought being housebound would be torture but it is a relief. You will find that you are quite preoccupied fitting in the physio ,resting ,and eating on time .. and getting in and out of the car is easier after the surgery although it is time consuming and tedious as you have to move the seat back  and lower the the back of the seat so you can get in safely.  .   . Eveything is better after the surgery.  Like you I deteriorted quickly and in a frigtening way before the surgery and suddenly could not walk at all. . This is a very scary thing esp when combined with  facing the power tools. But you will be relieved and improving quickly after the surgery. All the best during a difficult time for you. You will find you get all the help you need and some will be from unexpected sources. Angels just appear and I am not sure how this happens but it does.
  • Posted

I think there's a tendency to "grin and bear it" up to the actual op, and your brain fixes on coping up to that end point in sight. So when it doesn't happen, your resource to handle it is less. 

For different reasons, I had to wait for a hip replacement whilst in an enormous amount of pain. The answer is obvious - go to the doctor and ask for better pain relief!  You are talking about a matter of a few weeks - you aren't likely to become a raging  addict in those few weeks! I was on morphine for several weeks and was easily able to stop after the surgery. If you need pain relief that is stronger, that isn't a sign of weakness. Just do what you need to to get through the next few weeks.

• Posted

Hi Beth

yes I know I won't get addicted I'm not worried about that. I'm taking Meloxicam which is ibuprofen and Tylenol 3 with Codeine and recently increased dosage of the Tylenol to 4 times a day 

the doctors here (Ontario Canada) are leery about giving stronger drugs prior to major surgery in case drugs don't have good effect after the surgery when you need them for recovery.

i only have five more weeks to wait so as you say I'll "grin and bear it"

Ginny

• Posted

I am from BC . My GP gave me morphine two months before the procedure because nothing else was touching the pain. I know he had to justify the choice the with the college of physicians and surgeons . They are very worried in this province about opiates getting onto the streets and used illicitly and furtherrig the street drug problems.. I am not sure how morphine is for other people but it  was not pleasant or fun and barely took the edge off the pain. I  had the surgery two weeks ago and I barely  need drugs at all.  I just take a couple tylenol once a day and on many days not at all. . I don't think you should grin and bear it. It is hard enough with all the fear and trepidation before the surgery and planning for the lack of mobility after the surgery and arranging for all the aids you will need. Your Dr. should give you anything at all to help you cope with the pain which is unbearable so you can remain active and fit for the surgery because you will need strength to do the physio required three times a day and so you can get on and off  chairs and toilets and in and out of bed safely and effectively.  I hope this helps and that your surgery goes well. 

• Posted

hi again Libby

just wondering if your surgeon told you why there is a length discrepancy in your legs. I hope it got sorted for you.

you are doing so well and I hope you continue to do so.

Ginny

• Posted

he says there is only 3 mm discrepency but my knee on the opposite leg is bending out badly.. I had artroscopy on there about 14 years ago and there might be a little too cartiledge left and I might be facing a knee replacement there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.