Painkillers

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks post TKR  I still get pain in my knee especially at night.

i rang my doctors this morning for a prescription for some stronger painkillers

the GP himself rang me back and said at 8 weeks I should no longer be having pain and if I was just to take paracetamol

I stated my case and reluctantly he agreed to write me a prescription.

has anyone else had this problem ? 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The fact is Jean, is they're 'always' reluctant to prescribe pain killers.  The usual being 'well you know they're addictive'....and if he says you shouldn't have any pain after 8 weeks he's actually talking from a part of his anatomy where the sun doesn't shine....What a plonker'.....
    • Posted

Now that made me smile 

I was beginning to think I was abnormal

i explained that I only want them to get a decent nights sleep

thanks for your reply

it cheered me up 

• Posted

some of these gp s should have it done just so they know what there talking about , so glad my gp gave me what i needed , addictive bs , i was on morphine for over a year and just stopped with no messing , and full suport from the gp 

• Posted

Can he read tea leaves too ? Change your GP or ask to see someone else your in pain 
    • Posted

I may ask about the tea leaves ....

they would probably make more sense 

• Posted

After a cup of tea has been poured without a tea strainer the tea is drunk or poured away the cup should be shaken well and any remaining liquid drained off in the saucer the leaves patterns in the cup leaves allows the imagination run away  with the shapes 

I'm full of information lol 

• Posted

Maybe he should have a Knee Replacement and see how he gets on. What a numb nuts! The less pain you're in, the more you'll be able to exercise that leg and importantly get a decent nights sleep

Debx

• Posted

Hello Jean

sorry to hear you are paid - totally agree with whats already been said 

but you can inist on some strong stuff - I take Tramadol daily and don't care if it is adictive - it works for me - it is your right to make such a request

kind regards

Simon Jude

• Posted

You are the one who knows if you need stronger painkillers. I agree with others - maybe he needs a TKR to understand! My GP prescribed strong co codamol (30/500)     when I asked for them and, in fact, I had a bit of a job to change the repeat prescription back to the weaker ones(8/500) after a few weeks. I still take the weaker ones at night or when the pain is worse and I'm 15 weeks post op today! Hope they help you get a good night's sleep. Jen 
    • Posted

I've always had a repeat prescription for the co codamol as I have a cronic back problem ...but recently with no explanation they were taken off my prescription ...plus the chemist where  my prescriptions go to rang and said they had but some statins on my prescription for high cholesterol ...I've never even had a blood test for that 

this is getting scarier by the minute 

• Posted

I still take Naproxen and Cocodamol regularly every day and my TKR 11months ago!
  • Posted

Hi Jean and all

Well I went back to work today, 7 weeks to the day. I teach primary and it is possible for me to have frequent sit down time with frequent short walks as well. I managed! Hooray! My main worry was whether I could get my head in the right place, having been a couch potato for so long and having focused on my knee only for too long. But a handful of vitamins plus continued painkillers ( prescribed morphine based interspersed with over the counter pain killers) got me through. And I feel confident that I'll be able to handle the pace. However I had a docs appointment after school just in case and my doc said he'd been asking around and has decided that I should continue to have drugs for a few weeks yet. He said all those in the know say 6 weeks of quite strong pain and up tom12 weeks at least of some pain and much discomfort which needs to be managed with stronger pain killers. And he actually offered to bump the strength of my dosage up from 5 mg back to 10 mg. I accepted his offer for night time use and will continue to take 5 mg with Panadol as well during the day as it helps to have distraction with work. Don't allow medics without experience of having a TKR tell u that u don't need painkillers in the first 3 months. Certainly not without a bit of a scene smile glad you got your medication anyway jean

• Posted

Surgeons are the 1st to tell you that there shouldn't be any more pain. Somehow they seem to take it as a personal affront that you are hurting and that they might have caused it, lessening their reputation as a skilled practitioner. On the other hand, a good pain management guy works with a blend of pills and skills to get you relief when and where you need it, regardless of how it came about. Listen to your body and don't let a professional's ego direct the cure. I was told by a doc years ago, be your own biggest and loudest advocate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.