Painless Lump taking over my life

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ok. So since the post I made a few days ago I've def learned more than I ever thought I would about BC and I'm still confused!

At this point I l've gathered that my case is mild. I have no pain (and when I did it was mild), no swelling, no abscess, no pain while sitting or walking. I can't feel a single trace of it until I actually use my fingers to examine myself. In fact, the cyst is so deep inside me it seems more like the gland itself is swollen and that's it. Is that even possible? Overall I would venture to say it's smaller, but it's kinda hard to be sure. My BF felt it and said it was.

I've been on antibiotics for five days now, two to go. Because I know my cyst isn't infected, I now know the antibiotics will probably do nothing more for me as far as reducing the size. My doc def just gave them as a precaution. I guess I can't be mad at her for not giving me the full picture on these things, by others would be led to believe they could just take pills and it will go away, which is not always the case.

I know most people who post on here have more complicated stories and issues surrounded BC which I really feel for you all, but none of them really relate to me at all besides the painless grape sized cyst. Has anyone had one of these that just took a while but went away on its own? How long did it take? Since the first time I had pain up until now it's been 3 weeks for me.

I've had a tremendous amount of mental anguish over this stupid lump. The physical pain I felt was nothing compared to how upset it's made me. My mind is starting to have me think 'well maybe it isn't a BC..maybe it's something else..' which is a terrifying notion, however the description and area of it seem spot on for BC. Ugh. So over it.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

OMG you've just described mine. I'm on my second lot of antibiotics and it's only shrunk a little. It feels as though there's a swelling and inside that is a hard lump, more of a long thin shape rather than round. It don't feel pain unless I poke and prod!!! My friend gets them and hers just come and go and generally take about a month to clear. I tell myself we're all different and ailments can effect us differently. But like you I have suffered tremendously over it, I totally lost my appetite and couldn't eat!!! And of course doing our own research online doesn't help, we self diagnose ourselves with the worst possible case! Be patient that's what I keep tell myself!!!!!

• Posted

Yup, exactly, because if you go on the internet you're gonna find what you're looking for..the worse case scenario. Do you have actual swelling of your labia?Is there pain? Why were you put on antibiotics twice? Cuz if it doesn't hurt my understanding is it isn't infected, and antibiotics only treat infection, not the cyst, which if it's just fluid needs to drain. If you went to the doc a second time I'd assume they would maybe have lanced it as opposed to just giving more antibiotics? Mine is literally just a small, kinda soft lump, not squishy, but not particularly hard. Definitely round in shape. No pain at all, even when I massage it. I haven't felt any pain since Wed.

• Posted

I had my first one over a month ago. There was pain the first few days but then that went away. For another week and a half it was just there about walnut size. I got nothing much from my doctor except to do sitz baths. I could this forum and got more information. Then all of a sudden it started to hurt and then it was painful when I walked and sat. Then it finally burst I had it for 2 weeks and after the first day it wasn't painful until the day it burst. I was however trying the make it burst as it was annoying even though it didn't hurt. I tried a home remedy that I found on here with turmeric I think that might have brought it to the surface and made it burst. So you may want to give it a try. Once it burst is was immediately better. And has disappeared all together. So maybe try that and see if it helps. If you are worried then you might want to ask your doctor to do a byopsy on it. Good luck.

• Posted

Did you have an abscess though? Because like I said all I have is a small cyst deep beneath my skin..there isn't any abcess to lance or burst.

• Posted

Mine was about walnut sized even when it was painless. But I wanted to get rid of it. My doctor said it wasn't abscess when she saw it. And like I said it didn't hurt and wasnt painful so she didn't give me any antibiotics. It wasn't until I used the home remedy that it began to hurt and finally burst.

• Posted

EDIT*

I should have mentioned that I also have OCD, depression,anxiety issues, and am a huge hypochondriac.

• Posted

Hi Jess,

U need to get rid of it. That's how my story started. I was afraid it could be or become something malignant with all those lancingm and infections over the years. I got the gland removed by my ob/gyn. That's was my life saver, the only permanent sout ion to these beasts.

• Posted

Thanks for the concern, and although I could be wrong, I'm not sure if this warrants a gland removal. Everything I've read says that if it's painless and small and not causing any issues it's best to leave it. As far as I know gland removal is the very last resort when draining/catheter/marsupialization doesn't work. This isn't something reoccurring for me. It's my first issue. My doc told me there was nothing for her to even lance. Perhaps your removal was due to all the complications? Docs don't just take out the entire gland because of one small cyst.

• Posted

Hello

​I had this come back 3 times. This time its really hard to the touch and walnut size. Was yours hard?

​Waiting on the referral for OBGYN I want it removed!!

​Bc its hard worry It might be cancer.

• Posted

I would say that if the lump is painless it is just a bartholin cyst at this stage(the gland might be blocked) but not infected as opposed to a abscess which is an blocked infected gland. You will know when it becomes infected as you will start to feel unwell and the thing grows rapidly becomes painful, red and tender. You will find it uncomfortable to walk, sit etc. 

when mine was a cyst I could feel a hard marble sized lump, it did not hurt to touch it and it didn't really bother me just wanted to know it was okay. It stayed like that for month and then became infected and grew over 5 days or so until it burst.

I did not use hot compresses to make it grow it just did it on its own accord.

thats my understanding...

• Posted

Yeah, at this point it's just a cyst. It started as just a sore area that hurt when while walking, sitting, and even coughing. I finally found that the lump was the source of the pain. That was two weeks ago. I went to my doc on Wed of last week. She said it seemed to be going away on its own but gave me antibiotics just to remove any trace of infection. I'm going to call tomorrow to let them know That I'm overall better than I was but that a lump remains and see what they say. I keep hearing that people get these, they go away, but then come back with a vengeance. I rarely hear anyone say 'yeah I had one, it took a while but went away.' Pretty disheartening. But I supposed those people are less likely to make forum posts about it heh.

• Posted

Yes, I think you are right. If it goes away then most people resume their life.

i am wondering if the cause of these thing is swelling or irritation around the duct openings of the gland. One thing I reckon that precipitated mine was a thrush infection caused by being on a medication. Swelling and mucus might have blocked it? (Sorry it's gross) If bacteria gets in after then it would cause  an abscess. 

Problem is antibiotics can cause thrush again so the cycle resumes. 

Not saying that everyone has this problem, there's probably lots of other causes.

• Posted

Ah yeah you're right, I've def had it after taking antibiotics, one time my doc prescribed me some meds for thrush right along with the antibiotics in case I needed it. There's different reasons the duct becomed blocked, some trauma to the area, sex, change in amount of/consistency of fluids..I'm hoping it's not from my new birth control pill..

• Posted

same situation for me too. had a painless cyst size of a grape for over 10 years fluctuates in size but never painfull. sometimes gets bigger after sexual activity. antibiotics never worked for me i took some years ago and it started shrinking then flared up towards the end when i was just about to finish my pills smh. ive been on the waiting list for over a year to get a word cathetor after getting fed up of it at that point. now im thinking of trying whatever it takes again while still waiting for the day surgery. my case is not considered urgent.next im going to try homeopathy as ive read some good results in other posts ....just frustrating!
    • Posted

Ten years? Geez. It's only been about a month for me. In general mine is smaller than it was but still present. Pills prob didn't work for you because they don't do anything to shrink it..only get rid of any infection. So you are still left with fluid in the cyst. I'm hoping mine will continue to get smaller over time.. if it gets bad again I'm going to demand something he done..I can't last another six months let alone ten years. I'm wondering why they kept giving you pills instead of lancing it if it keeps coming back? I also read that if it's small and painless it's best left alone, so I'm curious why they finally decided to go with surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.