Palpitations Are Really Scaring Me.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had palpitations on and off for several years now. They aren't pleasant but they've been bearable. Recently though they are frightening me. They vary from flutterings to my heart feeling like it's trying to get through my ribs.

Last week, I had horrendous palpitations and they last for over five hours. I went to bed at about 10.00pm and couldn't sleep till well after 2.00am in the morning. I was very down for days and my anxiety was through the roof. I had one episode in bed last night and one this aftenoon and this type of palpitation lasts for about ten to fifteen seconds and my heart feels like it's thumping and trying to get out. My pulse feels weak/different until it passes and then for hours after I'm panicking but trying to keep calm.

It doesn't help that I finished a course of two antibiotics last Tuesday morning. Clindamycin and Ciprofloxacin are two of the worst or giving you terrible diarhea and I'm still trying to stop that so again, my anxiety is high this week. I'm now terrified that it's something bad, I'm on constant health alert and down about it so when the palpitations start, I just sit and fret and/or cry. 

Does anyone here get palpitations that bad? I've read about many who've had them and it reassures me but when I get them, all logic goes out of the window. Thanks for listening.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bugglybot, I had horribly flutters and palpitations while I was in Peri and into the beginning of menopause. Some of them really scared me.....to the point I had to do some deep breathing or I would've gone into a big ole panic attack. A couple times I almost told my husband to take me to the ER they were so bad. I can say that the really. Bad ones went away after being in menopause for a short while. I still get very mild flutters once in awhile but nothing I can't handle....in fact they're hardly noticeable. It's all about the decrease of and imbalance of hormones!  Hang in there....there IS a light at the end of the tunnel!!
    • Posted

I do the deep breathing Pat, the other week though that didn't help. I'd got so worked up but tried to keep calm. That is hard to do sometime. Just like you, I've nearly had my husband take me to the A and E and that was what I was going to do the other week. In fact, I once got the ambulance out to me, (about two years ago), I was that bad but thankfully they didn't find anything. I felt embarrassed. Thank you for your post, all the best.
    • Posted

I want to hear more about the light at the end of the tunnel!  How long have you been in menopause.  My light can't come soon enough.
    • Posted

Yes pat I would also like to know when you started to feel better. My light cannot come soon enough either x
    • Posted

Hey Michelle, how many years are you in?  or did you just start perimenopause?  I'm 8 years into menopause, had a few off months where I almost felt 'normal' and it was a big relief, however, when the imbalance of hormones begin again, it comes back with a vengenace.
  • Posted

Fortunately, I never got flutters like  this just mild ones that went away when I stopped eating spicy foods and processed carbs. Yet, with this said, I recommend you consult with your gyne to get evaluated.
    • Posted

You're right Pat, I need to go and have a chat about them again. Also, I have cut out a lot of rubbish that I was eating. I am just trying not to get paranoid about it because sometimes when I'm hungry, I daren't eat. We have to have a happy balance, it's just finding what orks for us.
  • Posted

I am like all of you with heart palps, also scared to excercise and do much when they get bad,BUT i figure i wouldnt still be here if anything bad, its annoying though and must therefore be hormonal , actually i got so fed up that ive excercised more and saidto myself 'bring it on have a heart attack' ha, still here, try yoga etc.

• Posted

After our stressful trip to Birmingham, if I exercise now and overdo it, I seem to get the palpitations so it puts me off. Believe me, I need to exercise too. The decorating that we have coming up is worrying me but I'll take it gently so I don't overdo it. When I've been really mad, I've said similar things to myself too, almost challenging myself. I have thought of Yoga, some form of relaxation would be beneficial. Thank you Deb.
  • Posted

Last night, about 10.30pm, the palpitations started. I was in a right state. I tried to keep calm, think rationally but I was panicking. Hubby could feel it in my pulse, as I could. I went to bed, did some relaxation, tried breathing slow, quick, sharp..anything to take it off. I got angry and tried to even challenge them at one point. I almost felt numb, I'm so fed up of being this scared.

Thankfully they went off after about an hour and a half and I slept. When I got up for the toilet though, I'd get the odd one and this morning again, my heart seems fluttery. I'm trying to just get on with things and not dwell on it. I'm wondering if I just can't tolerate anything sugary at the moment, I don't know.

Thank you everyone for reading and replying here. Honestly it's genuinely helped me as when I'm scared I think of you and it does take my fear down a notch. Much appreciated xx. 

• Posted

Buggly, are you taking anything like Rhodiola or any off the wall vitamins or herbs? If you are stop taking them. Sugar and carbs like pasta, bread and rice could spike your glucose. You should get an ekg just to be sure it's nothing but part of the perimenopause. Hang in there hon, we're praying for you. xx
    • Posted

I think if you go and see your doctor and let them have a look and do an ecg. If all is well you will relax a bit.

I felt terrible last year, I'd been to the doctor and was fobbed off. I had this awful breathing thing going on at the same time. I phoned for another appointment and the receptionist said I couldn't have an emergency one.

It was the start of this painful arm thing too. I went shopping and the palpitations were making me feel faint. In the afternoon pain beneath my left breast.

Well as you know you start panicking. I ended up going to A and E. I was there ages they did ecg and chest x ray and found everything to be ok.

It makes you feel much better to know that everything is ok.

I've been much more laid back about it since and they are not as bad if you are not scared of dropping dread at any moment!

• Posted

No Patra, I've only just started the starflower oil capsules and B12. I've not tried any of my other ones yet. I did wonder about the sugar and carbs. Today, I've nervously eaten some chocolate and had a ready meal that's microwaved. Fingers crossed, this won't set them off but I'm becoming quite paranoid and if I don't stop it, I'll end up just drinking water through fear. I'm keeping a mental record of what I do to a degree and if need be, I'll write it down. Thank you for doing that, it made me smile x.
    • Posted

You're right Zigangie and honestly, just being here has helped me pluck up the courage to do so. I read your post to my husband last night and bless him, he feels for us all and can see the similarities when he's seen me upset and feeling off it. 

One lady here mentioned a holter monitor and I wonder if my doctor may sort me out with one so they have something to look at. Fingers crossed, it's like your own history of them and that it's okay. If it helps to take the edge off the worry, I'd be happy with that.

• Posted

Buggly, cut out the chocolate. Once you do that many of the symptoms go away. Eating microwave food is a train wreck waiting to happen. Eating microwave foods is equivalent to eating acid. It's really bad for you. Okay well, I hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Sorry I wasn't clear about the chocolate Patra. I had cut it out, in fact I'd cut out most sweet things but I had wondered if eating a custard fruit pie I'd made had made the palpitations worse. I don't have caffeine in drinks anymore so I thought I'd eat some chocolate, (it has caffeine in it), to see if it caused more palpitations. Fingers crossed so far, it hasn't, nor has microwave meals. I'd stopped using these too but again, I tried some yesterday just to see what happened. I'd rather we had proper meals or even a bowl of soup and bread that eat ready meals a lot. Thank you x.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.