palpitations shortness of breath

Posted , 15 users are following.

anyone experience palpitations shortness of breath and light headed. I've had tests and had ecg done all fine. every time it happens my health anxiety really kicks in and I worry about heart attack. I keep thinking well it's happened so many times before and I'm still alive but it doesn't stop anxiety. It drives me mad I seem to spend most of my life these days worrying about symptoms. I never have a day when I feel totally myself always something weird going on.

4 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Vicky I could of wrote this myself. I’m the same. It’s always my heart with me to and like you I’m still here. It’s a nightmare darl xx
  • Posted

Hi Vicky, I feel exactly like this - same symptoms plus horrible dizziness/feeling off balance and nausea - and same health anxiety. Doesn't matter how many times I tell myself it will pass... Hugs! Annie-Mae

• Posted

I used to have this all the time, I went to see a therapist and she asked me how many times it happened, I said everyday and she said ‘and how many heart attacks have you had?’ I said ‘none’ and she just moved on to something else. So every time it happens I just think of what she said and it goes away.  When it is happening to you it is the most frightening experience but it does pass. Xx
  • Posted

Oh poor you. I've had 2 ambulances out to me for chest pain and shortness of breath and each time ecg normal. Its a panic attack all be it an extreme one, but I have them regularly so my dr put me on low regular dose of diazepam. It helps alot and the only real side effect is that it is addictive so needs to be used with that in mind. As I have had numerous bad reactions to SSRI anti-depressants which are also supposed to help but they are also addictive, have some nasty side effects and you nearly always get worse before you get better. You could needs some meds to help calm you down. Do you take Bhrt or hrt or any supplements to help you? XXX

• Posted

Hi Vicky, I’ve had exactly this for 2 -3 years, been in menopause 2 yrs 4mths. Palpitations, dizziness, panic attacks, health anxiety about my heart. Ecgs all normal. Ive been on sertraline for the anxiety a year now and 95% better. Had awful side effects for2-3 weeks and every time i upped the dose. Settled at about 3 mths, mostly good by 6mths. I had CBT privately as the lets talk NHS 20 mins a week phone chat for 5 weeks didn’t help that much. I had 2mg diazepam for particularly stressful times/ to counter the initial side effects of sertraline (extreme anxiety). I was also on 120 mg betablockers for 6 mths but have cut down to 40mg daily, to reduce effects of adrenalin on the heart during panic attacks. I rarely get the palps now and have found its nearly always  when bloated/gassy (IBS), when lying on settee...irritation of vagus nerve  by the gas, causing the palps. When it does happen i tell myself it has always passed, and i get on with something, and burp to release the gas! It feels horrible i know, but it is common in meno and as you and i have had ecgs, we can be pretty confident its down to the hormonal changes. 
    • Posted

I am 55 and having a hard time.

I had the heart palpitations about 10 years ago, went to cardiologist and went through all tests: told I was pre-menopausal.

Then about 6 months ago the palpitations returned.  

They are once again gone, but I have other bizarre heart feelings: 

I can feel my heart beating, it actually hurts once in awhile.

I have another appointment with cardiologist this week, but wondering if anyone else has weird heart issues.   

• Posted

May i ask how long since periods stopped? Ive had the feeling of missed or extra beats which make me catch my breath, sudden thuds which made me jump off the settee, flutters where it seems to go out of rhythm, waking in the night to rapid heartrate of 113/117 bpm, caused by nocturnal panic attacks. So much better since i went on sertraline and betablockers. I try to sleep on my right as im more aware of heartbeat if i sleep on left. Before i was on meds, i felt the anxiety like a tightness in my chest, discomfort rather than pain. Of course when we have a strange sensation we get the anxiety reaction which triggers more strange sensations (effect of adrenalin on heart). It’s good that you’re getting checked again, i hope itll put your mind at rest. Oh and  since ive reduced betablockers i take 250 mg magnesium daily. Many people with menopausal palps swear by it and like i say, the palps are rare now, every few weeks rather than every few days. Let us know how you get on at docs x
    • Posted

About a year since my last period 

I am not taking any medications at this point 

And I would say the feelings are discomfort rather than pain 

• Posted

And I will certainly say that days when I am feeling more anxious or depressed my symptoms are much worse. 

• Posted

Sounds like typical meno symptoms, i was worse 1 yr ago, a year after periods stopped, really bad anxiety, regular palps. Certainly try the magnesium, it should settle the palps and hopefully you wont get to the stage of having anti anxiety meds x
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for this discussion. I’ve had that again and again during the last weeks (and all of today)and  my health anxiety goes berserk. I have asthma and even though my asthma is completely in check, I suddenly feel as if I’m going to die, suffocate etc. Thank you for sharing. Instantly makes me feel better. Maybe I have to up my bioidentical HRT. 
  • Posted

Hi Vicky, yes I’m having all the symptoms right now!! Palpitations, lightheaded, fogginess, health anxiety, sweats. I tell myself it’s all menopause symptoms don’t fret, you know it’s all part of it!! Lol, I still fret though. Sometimes are worse than others and this is one of those times and even though I know what’s happening it’s damn scary. It’s the unstable stuff that’s going on in my head that is so frustrating, I hate not feeling like myself! Today I picked up some menopause relief by Purica. It gets good reviews and covers a lot of symptoms so I will see if it helps. I pray it does!! It’s so helpful to go on here and see someone else is experiencing the horror. I don’t wish this upon anyone but I’m glad I’m not alone and that there are others who understand! Chins up💜

• Posted

it's awful Angie and I totally understand what your saying about unstable stuff in your head if I could switch my thoughts off I'm sure I would be fine but I'm always thinking the worst. let me know how you get on with the menopause relief. always here if you need a chat xx

• Posted

Hi Angie, Id recommend 250 mg magnesium, vitamin b complex, omega 3 oils, i also take calcium and vit d as i get run down in the winter plus vit c due to all the colds going about. CBT was useful too for rationalizing whats happening rather than going into panic attack /fight or flight mode. Im living in the moment more rather than thinking worst case scenario/what ifs! Things that helped: walking/ fresh air/ doing things that take me out of my head, whether it’s cleaning, crafts, visiting people (esp. nieces and nephews!), watching a good film, cbt/ talk therapy, pushing myself out of my comfort zone! I went from looping panic attacks and struggling to even go to a supermarket jan 2017 to flying to Oz on my own for 3 mths in august 2017. Once id achieved that i knew i could cope with just about anything. What made things worse...seeing people who raised my stress levels/ showed no understanding of anxiety, late nights, lack of sleep, caffeine, sugar, eating late (after 6pm). Hrt helps some but my anxiety had got so bad that anti anxiety meds were the docs first choice. I briefly tried hrt but decided to stop that cos it was hard to say what was actually helping! It’s a rubbish time but we will all get through it :-) 
    • Posted

Thanks Julie for your reply. I take all of those supplements as well including flaxseed oil. I’d hate to think how bad the symptoms would be if I wasn’t taking them. We are enduring a long winter in Canada this year and I’m not getting out as regularly as I’d like to on my walk/running that I enjoy. I need to get back into yoga as well. The combo of all was a good remedy for me. I’m very much into energy healing and the crazy still creeps in. I know it will get better, it’s just not happening soon enough lol. Thank you again💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.