pancreatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter is in hospital with her second attack over 2 years she would have a light beer every now and then socially which she enjoyed nowthe Dr has now told her she can't even have a sip and can never have any fat either she is a nice size 10 and never been a big drinker she works out so sad for her. She had a kidney out about 6 years ago because she had a big growth around it. You would think there would be a tabket she could take for it.

Wendy sad mum

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How has your daughter been with eating sugars?
  • Posted

Lulu8888, alcohol activate the pancreatic enzymes and cause inflamation of the pancreas in people with pancreatitis. Same as fatty food. I use to drink and about a year ago when I was diagnosed with CP, I had a choice to make. Either I stop alcohol or continue in moderation. So I stopped for about 10 months. In december I drunk 4 beers on the 8th December and nothinghappened, them 5 beers on 13 December, still nothing happened, however, on 26 December I had about 5 beers and 3 glasses o wine in a party, the next day I started to feel pain. I this problem remains and there is no cure. The only thing is to avoid alcohol. Its a sacrifice that she will have to make if she wants to avoid attacks. For the moment there is no medication that cure CP. Medications are only pain killers. But she should avoid alcohol and fatty foods, and maintain a healthy life through exercise.
    • Posted

I'm not as wise as you clearly and now and then I like the alcohol so I suck liquorice juice sticks and take herbs. Not ideal? Perhaps not but it minimises the damage, also lots of water and food.

Also I can't get to AA meetings so I have no support in abstinance.

• Posted

Yes this is all so, and lovely for your daughter that she has you to be sympathetic. I never drank much either, but had digestive troubles all my life. At last diagnosed with CP 6 years ago. Now no alchohol (it would destroy any pancreas currently still ok) and a very boring plain diet. I need to take enzymes whenever I eat. I get truly fed up, especially at festive occassions when everything is all about food & drink. However, worse troubles at sea I guess. My birthday tomorrow will be a sober affair! It will, as a nurse once said to me, keep her nice and slim!  She may be able to enjoy plain chocolate. Good luck to you both!
    • Posted

I've been working on this for a long time and food definitely doesn't have to be boring or plain, just sensible! Herbs make foods tasty and learning new ways of eating and cooking can be fun. razz
    • Posted

Happy birthday to you Sue. Hope you are enjoying it. I guess ny now you must have already explored all the do's and don't especially where food and beverages are concerned. It's not easy for us, but at least we should be grateful that we are not living with severe pain like a lot of people with CP. I tested my limit with a few beers in December after a whole year abstinance, but I started to get mild pain and I stopped. But don't sacrifice yourself too much on food like Georgia is saying. As long as you don't large amount at one go and limit the fats, you should be alright. For me I have also noticed that caffeine is not good and I only have one tea bag 4 times daily instead of string coffee like before.

So enjoy your birthday. Norbert

• Posted

What a kind message, thanks. Well I just know what is bad for me, by years of trial & error. I was interested to see how other sufferers get on in their lives. But yes I daily am happy that it's not life-threatening & whilst difficult, many have much tougher roads to follow. My son is coming round for supper soon & we'll have a nice time I am sure, Helpful advise from a consultant was to try 5 small meals a day, less work for the poor old pancreas in one go! And I am not about wilfully sacrificing myself, I am about avoiding pain & diarrhoea. Abstinence is preferable to a night of that. It is good to hear that other people are around, sometimes I feel a bit lonely with this, as no one seems to have heard of it.
    • Posted

I didn't say sacrifice yourself on food Norbert! Don't mis quote me please.
    • Posted

My sincere apology Georgia. It was quoted by someone else on this forum, to the contrary you have stated above that food doesn't have to be boring and plain. That's fine.

Again,  my apology.

Regds, Norbert

• Posted

I used to have such terrible diarrhoea every day; once I went in a shop and it happened. I had to get home as fast as I could! redface lol

A consultant said that I can't digest fats very well. I just had to tweak my diet accoringly. Coconut and Extra Virgin Olive oils I can eat now, even cheese and a little butter but not too much of the latter.

I was prescribed Creon capsules but I've found that with the right diet I don't need them.

• Posted

Georgia is extremely fortunate that her digestive issues are very mild. One hat doesn't fit all. You need to experiment and you can only do this by trial and error. This is where a food/symptom diary is very good. 
    • Posted

Not mild at all Stuart, they've nearly killed me. I've been hospitalised more times than I can remember, which is why I have a hopeful message to give. It's so much better now and so can you be. razz

• Posted

I'm rather intriged as to how you manage to digest your food if you have a badly damaged pancreas and don't need to take any enzymes. If you have mild CP then yes it is possible to manage with diet, but can you point me to any learned information about the need to avoid sugar? OK, if you are diabetic, yes, but not all CP patients are. If I misjudge the amount of Creon that I need with a meal the result is steathorrea. 
    • Posted

When I found out what was wrong Creon capsules at first, then I did a heck of a lot research over several years, found out about things like Co Q10, getting rid of harmful bacteria to cleanse my pancreas with Grapefruit Seed Extract,

What can I eat? What I can eat now is less limited. Organs have a remarkable ability to heal given the right care.

I'm still very thin but not like a skeleton now.

• Posted

Forgot to say Liquorice! Can't praise it enough.
    • Posted

Sorry...sugars, seeing as the pancreas' main job is to work on the sugars and fats we shouldn't give it too much of either when it's trying to repair itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.