Pancreatitis anyone?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Pancreas problems are most of the time related to heavy drinking.

​I think I have that...I have had bathroom problems now for over 10 weeks.  When I was in hospital last time my lipase level was in the 1800.  The high range for this is 150 (or something).

​I have an apt with a Gastro this Thurs. because my PCP can not figure out why I am having this problem.

​Has anyone else had experience with pancreatitis from drinking? And I am assuming this is chronic...since it has gone on for so long.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your problems misssy. I'm sorry I can't be any help and hope someone on here can. Good luck with you appointment this week and well done us for staying sober for Xmas xx
    • Posted

Yes, I stayed sober for Christmas...but DRANK last night.

​I was so overwhelmed with a few areas of my life and wanted to escape. The GOOD news is...I feel CRAPPY today and I AM NOT GOING TO DRINK IT AWAY....Because then I will probably die from what I think I have...pancreatitis!

​I'm glad you stayed sober for XMAS...and SO did I....I was wasted last Christmas...this XMAS I got to spend some time with some of the people I love.

• Posted

Not surprised you drank the other night with all your health problems. Hopefully you are now back on track.
  • Posted

Hi. Most of us have the odd blip so try and find the strength tomorrow to (and this evening) to stop so you don't have to go through the withdrawals again. Thinking of you and good luck, you've done so well xx
    • Posted

I didn't drink today smile which is 12/28 for me - you are probably fast asleep now...and don't plan on drinking in the near future smile.

​I need my stomach problems to stop and I'm sure what I did yesterday did NOT help.

• Posted

Hi Missy2

I have Chronic Pancreatitis, my consultant says it's caused by Alcohol. It started around 2 years ago and it is very painful, indigestion/nausea /diareah/constipation and weight loss. I take multiple vitamins on pescriptions also I take enzymes called Creon every time I eat even a snack.I really feel for you if you have this it's a horrible illness I take various pain medication sometimes morphine for the pain,hopefully your consultant will do the all the tests needed and get you on right medication it never gets better it's chronic so pain daily.Also I have to admit I still drink wine every night I have tried to get help from Alcohol rehab but they said I don't drink enough to qualify ( around three quarters of a bottle of wine a night) I have asked about the Sinclair method which Joanna from cthree Europe recommended but they refused to prescribe it. I am going back to my GP in New year to see if I can get anymore help. Well done for quitting the Alcohol.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

My troubling thing is I DONT have pain.  Which makes me think it is some silent killer - pancreatic cancer (which chronic pancreatitis turns into or colon cancer.  But colon cancer I shouldn't have because I was only screened 2 years ago and was clear. 

​But I was told in hospital that my pancreas was very inflammed and that drinking with pancreatitis could kill us!

​That is how powerful alcohol IS...I have that information and I still drank.  And apparently you do too sad

• Posted

Hi Missy2,

I think you will find out more when you see your doctor, have you had Endoscopy or EUS procedures done yet, they look around your pancreas with cameras to see if you have scarring/calcification on your pancreas, I also think you don't always get pain at first it gradually comes after time when pancreas is damaged. I wish you all the best please let me know how you get on also again well done for giving up the Alcohol, I just live with pain everyday but still go to work If not I would think more about the pain so work kinda distracts me.

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

Yea, emmab..I'm sorry you have chronic pancreatitis...I don't know how you work with it...unless they are understanding about your bathroom habits.

​and I know you absolutely shouldn't drink with chronic pancreatitis.

No, I haven't drank since Sunday and hope to keep it that way.

​I didn't really get anything out of it except feeling like crap yesterday!

​And still somewhat tired today...your fast asleep in UK land right now smile

• Posted

Hi Missy2

Sorry took so long to post back to you with Christmas and New Year, I still go to work everyday yes it's a struggle but I find if I'm at home I think about the pain more so at work I am busy, it helps take your mind off the pain, plus I take various pain medication. My consultant knows I still drink alcohol but I do fib about how much, take last night only had 2 glasses of wine, I know I have to stop altogether for health reasons as I understand my pancreatitis will only get worse,but I am addicted like most people on this site, or they were previously but obviously managed to cure there addiction. I am not sure how much you used to drink , do you drink to relax after hard day at work, or maybe after children have gone to bed.In my case most evenings around 7.30 till maybe 9.00 pm with meal.I have an appointment with my GP in a couple of weeks hoping he can help. I was refused the Sinclair method so I Will see what else they can help me with. Congratulations on beating your addiction. Ps if you ever want to send private message please do .

Best wishes

Emma

• Posted

hi emma how are you now?

i am pretty sure i have the start of pancreatitis and wondered if i could ask you a few things? take care

debs x

• Posted

Misssy when you say bathroom problems, do you mean (sorry to be blunt, but constant diahreaa!) if I've drunk for more than two days then I get the runs, so much so that I can't leave the house. Just wondered if that's what you mean. So sorry if it's not that.
    • Posted

Yes, that is what I mean vicky..LOL..I was just too embarassed to say it.  EVERYDAY...really thou..only in the morning.....I used to only go in the morning anyway but now it is all diarrhea....I have Dr. Thursday.

​Your not drinking again are you?  You say "if I've drunk for more than 2 days".  I believe it is our pancreas.  At least last time I was in hospital they told me it was...my numbers were sky high for my pancreas being agitated...and if we keep drinking it turns to a "chronic" problem and doesn't go away as emmab stated. sad

• Posted

I've had a few drinks over Xmas. Wine and cider. Sorry to offend anyone, but it goes right through me sometimes. Fruit juice is the worst though. Basically I'm constipated, but a couple of drinks can need a bathroom. Other times no problems and no pain, but need a loo ASAP. Never had pain apart from chronic griping tummy pains very occasionally.
    • Posted

Nothing goes thru me when I drink.  I don't think we should have to apologize for talking poop on a pancreatitis post smile.

​I have started having the dirrehea...in the last 2 months constantly..drinking or not...now it is only in the morning...EVERY morning no pain.  I didn't drink for 3 weeks...and STILL had it...and I drank Sunday...and didn't have it Monday morning....but have it again today...and I'm sure tommorow sad.

​I want to say something about your drinking...but I'm not sure what..except..don't let it GET US....like it has in the past.

​I was SO DRUNK Sunday night...that I didn't even wake up when my b/f was banging on my door...or when he entered the room..but he did say I DID wake up...but I don't remember it.  There is no such thing for me to have a FEW drinks...no SUCH THING sad

• Posted

pretty sad when my CATS POOP looks better and more formed than MINE!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.