Pancreatitis anyone?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Pancreas problems are most of the time related to heavy drinking.

​I think I have that...I have had bathroom problems now for over 10 weeks.  When I was in hospital last time my lipase level was in the 1800.  The high range for this is 150 (or something).

​I have an apt with a Gastro this Thurs. because my PCP can not figure out why I am having this problem.

​Has anyone else had experience with pancreatitis from drinking? And I am assuming this is chronic...since it has gone on for so long.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Like Vickiilou I get the runs really bad while drinking, even tho I don't eat. It lasts until the second day into withdrawal, then I get horrendous constipation, even if I eat fruit, never normally suffer with this when I'm normal. So the doc gives me lactulose which solves the problem in a day.

really hope it's nothing serious misssy, xx

• Posted

That used to happen to me...I used to get constipated (and that was from dehydration).  But come to learn...dehydration can cause dirrehea too....I think my pancreas is unhappy since i swear I was almost dead 3 weeks ago when I was withdrawing and probably needed hospital care and fluids for my organs sad...Dr. Thursday.
  • Posted

Hi All, Very interesting reading all your posts. We have just had the worst xmas as on xmas eve i had to call an Ambulance for my Husband with Acute pancreatitis, i've never seen him in so much pain and this was the second attack, he had already spent a week in hospital before hand. His was not alcohol but infected gallbladder and gallstones. He had the gallbladder removed and the surgeon said he could eat and drink what he liked!!!. So although loosing 2 stone he was really careful with food but did drink some alcohol.

We have now been told he should not drink for 6 months!!, hence the second attack on xmas eve. Its been 5 weeks now and only just up and about but still very weak. In his research he came across chronic, which he think i have. I have drank for many years, up till 2 years ago when i stopped vodka. When i stopped i got much better but then i started on rose wine. The symptoms i get are bad stomach, very bloated, constapation/and opposite, burning all round my stomach and pancreas, like its going to burst inside. Shoulder pain through to the front under the stomach. I cant wear a bra without it really hurting, no sickness as yet, does any one else have any of this and could i have it too??? I really belch badly as well xx

• Posted

hi lesley that WAS an awful Christmas...I hope he feels better soon and you "no sickeness as of yet?"...Um that all sounds like you have some sickeness going on.  Have you seen a GI Dr?  Are you presently engaging in drinking wine?  I wouldn't...well I really can't say that since I got drunk on beer the other night...BUT...I shouldn't have!  Anyone with bowel symptoms should abstain from irritating factors such as caffiene, fats and alcohol - not medical advice..just what I read about myself.  I can't stay totally away from caffiene and fats...I'm eating a grilled cheese right now!  And I have one cup of coffee in the a.m.  But nothing else (well that's a lie, I'm going to have TEA)...

​Sounds like your gas problems and pain..and shoulder pain could also be associated with gallstones...because I was reading about gallbladder (hoping it is that vs. my kidneys or pancreas) and it mentioned shoulder pain. 

​I'm not sure mine is pancreatitis....because I have no pain...I'm worried now it is my kidneys cause my urine is very foamy. sad and I read about that for kidneys.  I can't wait to go to the Doctor tommorow just to get started..I know he won't determine what it is right away...but its a start.

​Please make an appoint for your Dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.