PANGASTRITIS??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Finally, after years of suffering from frequent throat clearing,(after my ENT's couldnt help me) and niether did gasteroenterologists. I got the endoscopy done and I have had been diagnosed with PANGASTRITIS(Biopsy of the inflammated stomach is taken as well as of duodenum awaiting results). now the doctor also said that my Sphincter is relaxed. he didn't talk much and just gave me PPIs and Prokinetics to take till biopsy comes back. Now Im confused what really i pangastritis? even when i type it on google it shows me Just Gastritis and not Pangastritis. What is the difference? How long to heal? plus I have never had vomitings thankfully just throat clearing and abdominal pain which is always relieved by flatulencing. and if it had been the problem for 5 years, then is it the real cause behind my critical throat clearing 24/7? Looking forward for some answers cuiously, btw my age is just 20. Thank you smile 

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mrchase24

The only pangastritis..i have found is 'Type B Pangastritis'...and 'Erosive Pangastritis'. Google it and keep scrolling down until you get to 'people also ask'....

best wishes...

• Posted

Oh so it means I have a rare condition that even the great Lilian doesn't know about :-P well I have Googled but I didn't get answers so I seek them from the people themselves here. Should I post this in the gastroesophageal reflux group because the only problem I'm having is acid in my throat and causing me to clear my throat frequently

• Posted

Hi Mrchase24

Never been called 'the great Lilian' before..haha..

Google:- WebMd...LARYNGOPHARYGEAL REFLUX LPR (SILENT REFLUX).....Best wishes....

• Posted

Hi Mrchase24

Try Mastic Gum a friend of mine swears by it for gastritis. It is a natural growing plant found growing around the med in turkey, cyprus. She said it really helped with stomach acid..my best wishes to you Mrchase24....

• Posted

Hi Mrchase24

I have read recently that Gastro-Oesophogael Reflux is connected to IPF..Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis a lung disease....although you would be too young for this i would check it out 'Gastro-Oesophogael Reflux and Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.....hope you are ok..my best wishes to you...

• Posted

Aww I can't thank you enough for your concern Lili. But I'm really not okay. I'm tired of clearing my throat and I read somewhere that a gastroenterologist explained to a guy that his IBS is coming back up and causing acid reflux. It sounds so weird but is it true? Can IBS cause acid reflux? I used to be fine with acid reflux before, only had to do it after eating but now I have to clear my throat 24/7..

Regarding your thought about that lung disease, I got my chest Xray done as well as pulmonary function test which says that my lungs are as perfect as they should be even though I smoke. I just don't know how can I stop my acid reflux no PPI or prokinetic is seem to be working and I'm just 20. Please let me know anything you find. Thanks a ton I owe you my life thank you all guys.

• Posted

Hi Mrchase24

No probs..when i read the article i immediately thought of your post. I am not experienced with IBS,.but there are forum members who are experienced in IBS as they have it and can help you in that area, i am sure will see this post and respond to you.. If i come across any articles on the subject that may be of help to you, i will surely send you a post...My very best wishes to you...

• Posted

Thanks a ton again Lilian thanks a ton. I really really appreciate it a lot.
    • Posted

You can get acid reflux with IBS and gastritis.  Since you have widespread gastritis, this could be why your acid reflux is so bad. The best solution is a bland diet avoiding anything spicy, rich or fatty. A food diary will help to pinpoint any foods thatvare irritating your stomach.  I have acid reflux which makes me cough and clear my throat but standard antacids and milk get rid of it.  The other day, I almost felt I was choking on mucus which built up because of the acid.
    • Posted

But what could have caused me gastritis? My biopsies are clear and my freakin gastroenterologist said that the inflammation is chronic but mild and gave me only PPIs and recommended me to a psychiatrist. I'll surely consult with a nutritionist who'll help me make up a diary and yes my acid reflux is that bad that I have to clear my throat 24/7. And more when I eat. I have defecation issues as well, everyday in the morning I feel abdominal pain with a need to go to washroom only to find out that I'm constipated even though I'm taking movcol. Does this happen to you too? And even if it's ibs, can ibs be the cause of my gastritis? Thanks pipa

• Posted

Stress and diet can cause gastritis.  However, do not worry about the cause.  The important thing now is to trust your gastroenterologist and try to manage your gastritis. PPIs will help to reduce stomach acid and protect your stomach lining from further irritation. So continue to take the medication. This is very important in the treatment of gastritis. I wouldn’t bother with a psychiatrist; they will probably tell you that your symptoms are in your head.

IBS and gastritis are two separate conditions.  IBS is sensitivity of your bowel whereas gastritis is inflammation of your stomach lining.  One does not cause the other. The only thing that links them is stress and diet.  However, it is possible to have both.  I have IBS with constipation which can turn to diarrhoea.  Stress caused it in my case.

Your gastoenterologist will be able to tell you if you have IBS.  If you are diagnosed with IBS, ask for an antispasmodic and eat  lots of fruit.  Movicol does work but it can take time and you have watch that you don’t get overly loose stools with it.  I found that. If you see a dietician, ask about the Low Fodmap diet which can help if you have IBS.

• Posted

Ohh understood but my question is exactly the same but confusing. IBS should only relate to bowel problems then how does it cause acid reflux according to a gastroenterologist. Well yes I do trust my doctor and now than him I trust all of you people who have helped me with so many answers here. God bless you all. Yes I'm taking PPIs and I'm gonna continue to struggle to get rid of every problem I have

• Posted

There is relationship between IBS and GERD because of poor muscle function of the intestinal tract. It is thought that there is a lack of coordination between the oesophagus, the small intestine (stomach) and the large intestine (bowel). Hope this helps.
    • Posted

It's still hard to understand but is there a monitoring test to check how is my intestinal muscles are working just like there is a test for the sphincter of esophagus called esophageal manometry test?

• Posted

The oesophageal manometry test measures how your intestinal muscles are working. 
    • Posted

Oh then that's great. ONE LAST QUESTION, you must have heard about a surgery named LINX right? What if I get it done? Would it completely eliminate my acidity and is it worth it? I read the stories of the people you gave me a link to and they said that linx helped them a lot. Are there gonna be any complications if I get this surgery done and get a magnetic ring placed. Would I still be able to play football and run like an animal? :P

• Posted

Hi Mrchase24

I gave you that link .. .i think it would be a good idea to have the surgery. If you have any questions about life after the LINX discuss it with your doc or consultant. The people who have had it done certainly are doing well as you must have gathered when reading their stories...my best wishes to you Mrchase24..

• Posted

Lili you have done a great job by providing me that link. I thought that there was no treatment at all for acid reflux but now I have hope. I'm gonna follow up with my gastroenterologist. First I'm sure they'd wanna get manometry test done before they go for the surgery. Thanks a ton Lili and all of you you guys are life savers. May god bless you all. My best wishes are also with you people ??

• Posted

This surgery can work for some people.  However, there have been others who have had complications and gone back to their doctors and enquired about having it removed.  Having a magnetic ring put inside you is a foreign body and it is never a good idea to have foreign objects put inside you unless absolutely necessary.  I was offered surgery for my reflux but the sedation and surgery would have made me worse than I was before the surgery and I most certainly would have had permanent complications because I am hyper sensitive to any medical intervention.  Medication is the best option.
    • Posted

The problem is that meds aren't working for me. Nothing at all can seem to get me relief from LPR or whatever it is no matter what always clearing my throat. Also I feel burning whenever I swallow food. Otherwise I don't have any other symptoms. I think my manometry test will decide whether I need to have it done or not. I don't care what happens and how much money is spent as long as I get completely better. I hope meds help you pippa

• Posted

Hopefully the manometry test pinpoints something.  My reflux used to be a lot worse and I took PPIs which worked.  Now the reflux is intermittant and is relieved by OTC meds and milk.

Good luck with everything.

• Posted

So happy for you that atleast meds work for you. They don't work for me as I have bowel problems too. I'm not even sure if it's IBS or not. Or if it's being the cause for my reflux. I just can't bear it anymore its so hard to live with this. Everyday I wake up with gas pain and bloating in my lower tummy that is relieved after having a inflammatory bowel but doctor didn't find any UC or Crohn's during colonoscopy.

• Posted

If nothing shows on scans or other tests, your bowel problems could be IBS.  IBS can be confirmed when everything else is ruled out. 
    • Posted

I know I might really have it and it could be the reason for my reflux. Thanks for telling that we have to rule out everything else

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.