Panic attack at work and dont know what to do,please help !

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,I've just joined this forum in the hope someone can offer a bit of advice.The nuts and bolts of my life are as follows.I'm a former alcoholic from about 10 yrs ago and barely touch it these days.As a result of stopping drinking I developed anxiety yrs ago and thought I'd put it all behind me .Since then I've been in and out of jobs and thought I'd found a job I could settle in with good prospects and money,but the job is very fast paced,stressful and demanding.However because the money is good and the chance of me getting another job like this is very slim,I've been prepared to just push through it and ignore the stresses.Last week I turned in for work and within half hour had a panic attack and got sent home from work and went dr's who said it was panic/anxiety attack and since then I dont know what to do, I feel I dont want to lose the job but every time I even think about it its makes me sick and dizzy,I feel like my brain is being pulled in different directions.The dr suggested that if its making me ill then no amount of money is worth it.He offered me a sick note but I refused for fear of being off for a while and losing my job.It took six months of in depth job searching to get a job and one like this is a blessing but I dont think I can go back its just breaking me apart inside.It seems every bit of luck I get is rewarded with a bigger dose of bad luck and I'm just getting mentally tired of bouncing back to only fail again.I split with my gf a couple of yrs back which set me back but I came back from it after councelling and numerous pills,and dont want to be struggling back on jsa or sick again,but i really dont feel I can go back work.I utterly feel like I've let everyone down,my boss,my mother(who is pretty much the only person that cares about me) and especially myself.At the moment I dont have a gf or many friends even and have a fairly dull life,and my confidence is feeling shattered again now after building it back up.I dont feel suicidal but I'm really starting to wonder if I care any more to live.My life isnt so much a life as an existance.If theres anyone on here that could just possibly give some advice on my work situation it would be much appreciated,thanks Lee

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think the best thing to try is to talk to a therapist, which is very different from counselling. Medication is up to you,I choose therapy only. It takes time but its the only way to resolve issues
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice jmcg,but in the meantime what do I do,go back work and risk another panic attack or go back drs and request a sick note and risk the job? I'm just getting sick and tired of struggling in life with getting nothing to enjoy.I'm basically only working to enable me to save to start my own company once I could do that I can start doing what I really love and comtemplate being happy again.This job is good money but I have no passion for it.My hopes were to either hope I could settle here(not likely now) or work here save and get enough behind me to do what I really love,which would probably be achievable in about 4 months but like I say I really feel this job will send me over the top going back but on the other hand I know from first hand experience getting another job will be incredibly hard.My first thought was to give it up and just land something for the next few months when all the xmas jobs come up,I just feel worried Im gonna be back to square one again and I dont know how many more square ones Ive got left in me.
    • Posted

Its a tough one, I'm off sick myself at the mo. If you are at work and aren't able to so the job, that's no better I guess than actually being off. Noone can really tell you what to do there - you'll have to decide that with your doctor I'm afraid. Kick off therapy asap though, that can take some time to organise
    • Posted

Ok thanks for the responses jmcg,yeah It took me about 8 weeks before I could see my councillor last time from requesting her.I cant go back work tomorrow because I cant really perform my job properly like this so think I'll just go drs again tomorrow and see what he advises,appreciate your help thanks jmcg.
    • Posted

No problems, I know stopping work is a horrible thought, but sometimes you just need to do what's best for your health. Therapy itself does take time even once you start, but it can be very effective
  • Posted

Hi lee

This unfortunately happened to me about 5 years ago. I had a panic attack at work and felt I couldn't go back as I kept associating it with negativity. My mum couldn't believe - but every time we started talking about my place of work she took my blood pressure and it was through the roof. I would get in a total state.

I was signed off work, put on citalopram and went to weekly CBT sessions, with the understanding that I would eventually go back to work.

Unfortunately, I never went back. My one piece of advice if you do all of the above, is TRY to go back. Because all I did was feed/confirm my fears, rather than retrain my brain to realise there was nothing to be scared off.

Look into 'exposure therapy', this is a task of exposing yourself to a fearful place/event for a short time. Each time you stay longer, and longer, until you realise there is nothing to be afraid of.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry for you, but understand you are NOT alone.

• Posted

I went through a similar situation with my job .I think it actually caused me the all of a sudden anxiety .I ended up losing my job cause of it .I got another job in same field auto parts again in management but I always felt anxious so I quit.now I work but just as a regular and the anxiety is not as bad.less pay but...
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses and advice guys smile I actually just wrote a very lengthy piece but decided against posting it as I think thats best saved for the drs or therapist,I appreciate your help guys,thank you  Lee
    • Posted

Hi Holly thanks for your concern,I've been back docs this morning and he's recommended a couple more days off then trying to go back on Thurs or Fri to gradually face the work then hopefully back proper as of next week.I asked about a therapist and he said it's something we'll need to look at if it doesnt go away but to take the medications he's given me to try first of all.I broke down crying at the thought of being back on meds as I've been off them for a good while now and he said I'll need to go back on them full time which upset me,after thrying so hard to get myself right again and last time they didnt help at all they just caused a few probs when coming off them.

I've not had some of the ones he's prescribed so maybe these may be better but the thought of being back on these all the time sends shivers down my spine,like I'm some sort of outcast who needs pills to be normal ,it really aggrieves me.But needs must as the devil drives,as they say.I'm not sure if you or anyone has any experience of these but the ones hes put me on are Propanolol which I've had before then the others are proxazine and venlafaxine,do you or anyone else know anything of these meds,thanks for any responses smile

• Posted

Don't beat yourself up too much - if you had heart problems, diabetes, some sort of disease, you would take pills to make you better. Look at it that way, it helps me smile 
  • Posted

Took my pills this morning and kinda felt little relaxed and 'doped' up,then about an hour ago,started clenching my jaw and then about 40 mins ago burst out sweating and went all dizzy and disorientated with tremors,My calves started getting cramp and I got diarrhoea,just been docs because was bit panicky and theve told me to come back in the morning,I dont feel as bad now,more like spaced out or disattached from my body with needing to pace up and down.One of the tabs said have with food but I've no appetite,does anyone if this the cause and how long I'll feel like this please.
    • Posted

Don't worry Lee, everything you're experiencing is normal.

What pills are you on and what mg?

Some people are put straight on to 20mg citalopram but find they need to take 10mg for a few days/a week to cope with the side effects. Some people even take 5 then 10 etc but I went straight to 20 as I just wanted to get going!

I am now on day 17, I've not had a great day, BUT from Wednesday - Sunday I felt totally fine, as if nothing had even happened.

It's a bumpy ride, but it's worth it. Keep talking to your GP, it may be that in a few weeks if you don't feel any better,  they'll give you something else

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for the instant reply Holly ive got some promazine 25mg(a syrup at 5ml 3 times a day) some venlafaxine 75 mg(mgone a day) and some propanolol 80 mg(1 times a day).I cant get used to this its worse than my original panicattack to be honest,I wonder if it happened because I'm worried about being long term ill again,I've been thinking and pretty much all this is originating from my job and I'm starting to think is it worth really clutching to it just because the moneys good,I'm not even too bothered about the money I can survive on lower pay if it means I dont get these health problems back.
  • Posted

Hi guys just to let anyone know who's interested,I've been back dr's after yesterdays episode and a night lying awake with flashing in my eyes.He's reduced my dose of venlafaxine to a quarter the original does and kept the others the same,he suspects he hit me a bit heavy with the venlafaxine.

I told him that it was my job that was the root of all this stress and anxiety and literally facing the fear of becoming homeless is less worrying than going back,he encouraged me to go back and said it can take a couple of weeks before the venlafaxine starts working properly.

How I'm supposed to go back to work in this state is beyond me.I phoned my employer up and explained the situation and with me being of an honest considerate nature and a little mentally messed up at the moment I said it might end up being a few weeks before I'm well enough to go back as I'm currently in a right state. Her response was to not worry about the job and to worry about my own health first and foremost,which I thought was considerate of her.I'm absolutely distraught at the thought of going on long term meds again,it scares the bejesus out of me and is contributing to my anxiety,but must do what dr says I guess !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.