Panic attack at work and dont know what to do,please help !

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,I've just joined this forum in the hope someone can offer a bit of advice.The nuts and bolts of my life are as follows.I'm a former alcoholic from about 10 yrs ago and barely touch it these days.As a result of stopping drinking I developed anxiety yrs ago and thought I'd put it all behind me .Since then I've been in and out of jobs and thought I'd found a job I could settle in with good prospects and money,but the job is very fast paced,stressful and demanding.However because the money is good and the chance of me getting another job like this is very slim,I've been prepared to just push through it and ignore the stresses.Last week I turned in for work and within half hour had a panic attack and got sent home from work and went dr's who said it was panic/anxiety attack and since then I dont know what to do, I feel I dont want to lose the job but every time I even think about it its makes me sick and dizzy,I feel like my brain is being pulled in different directions.The dr suggested that if its making me ill then no amount of money is worth it.He offered me a sick note but I refused for fear of being off for a while and losing my job.It took six months of in depth job searching to get a job and one like this is a blessing but I dont think I can go back its just breaking me apart inside.It seems every bit of luck I get is rewarded with a bigger dose of bad luck and I'm just getting mentally tired of bouncing back to only fail again.I split with my gf a couple of yrs back which set me back but I came back from it after councelling and numerous pills,and dont want to be struggling back on jsa or sick again,but i really dont feel I can go back work.I utterly feel like I've let everyone down,my boss,my mother(who is pretty much the only person that cares about me) and especially myself.At the moment I dont have a gf or many friends even and have a fairly dull life,and my confidence is feeling shattered again now after building it back up.I dont feel suicidal but I'm really starting to wonder if I care any more to live.My life isnt so much a life as an existance.If theres anyone on here that could just possibly give some advice on my work situation it would be much appreciated,thanks Lee

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lee I went into teaching at young age and it really broke me it was an amzing job, great prospects and very rewarding but I just kept getting classes piled on me and it was very stressful I just didnt have the time to give to the kids I wanted to be able to. We had a few members that went on sick leave which didnt help and I had to pick up the slack even though I was new to the teaching profession. When i had to finally leave i felt like a failure for months after and blamed myself. If you need some time off then take it, its not worth risking your health if its making you this unhappy. Theres no point of having lots of money if your not enjoying your life. I understand how hard it is to give up a good job but thats life sometimes and you will find something else just stay positive and trust me it does get better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.