Panic attacks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Will my attacks ever go away? It started last month when I was smoking weed, I went into a panic attack. It stopped for a month and now it started again about two weeks ago? I don’t feel normal anymore. How do I get my life back? :-(. Did the weed alter my brain cells and made me have these attacks now. I had to cancel my vacation to Miami on Friday because I was scared that I may have had a panic attack mid air :-( Please help me! 

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Kind of in the same boat so you are not alone! Except what I thought was weed ended up being spice and I’m terrified it messed with me. My panic attacks are awful so you are not alone
    • Posted

Oh wow. That’s messed up. Yes, I’m terrified now too. I will never smoke or eat another edible again. I hope you get through this 🙏🏾. 

• Posted

This is a discussion about weed and cannabis Janine which are illegal in this country. Medical Marujiana has not been mentioned. Smoking weed and cannabis damages the lung tissue as well .

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Capri

I'm sorry you are experiencing panic attacks, I know from experience how truly horrendous they can make you feel.

First off, no, I don't think you need to see a drugs or addiction counsellor unless you are a perpetual user of weed and can't stop. Smoking it now and again at a party does not make you an addict.

Weed can affect people very differently and as has been pointed out already different varieties have different effects - sativa especially isn't recommended for anyone with anxiety issues. Personally as you've had a bad experience I would stay away from it in future.

To get back to your main issue which is the panic attacks (not the weed). The problem with panic attacks is that they can become a vicious circle. You had one (which was hideous) and so you worry about having another. As you are worrying it is far more likely that you will experience another one. By time you've had your second one you're convinced you'll have another and worry even more....

Try to note down what was happening when you have them. Is there any connection between the episodes? Time? Place? Feeling? I mainly get them when I'm out in public on my own or if I wake in the middle of the night.

If you can identify a trigger it gives you something to work on. Breathing can really help, in through your nose and out through your mouth as slowly as possible - count the seconds to help you focus. Make sure both feet are firmly on the floor and try not to fold in on yourself, sit up straight, hands on your knees. Try to notice the things around you - try counting how many different colours you can see, what can you hear or smell. Try to find something to look at beginning with A then Be then C - keep going as long as you can - you may struggle with Q, X, You, Z but that's ok wink

Remind yourself that you are safe, that this is just in your head and it will pass. Try to think about what someone you love and trust would say to you or do if they were with you.

If you can identify a trigger, try to put things in place that will help - maybe take a friend with you, practice breathing before you get there. But try not to avoid the situations that trigger you as that can make it a bigger problem down the road.

If you continue to struggle despite all these things, speak to your doctor. And try some form of talking therapy - CBT can be useful for panic attacks.

You can get through this, you really can. Good luck x

• Posted

May I politely say that anyone is an addict. 

The idea of suggesting a meeting was to help the other person identify with others wishing to stop taking this obnoxious substance that is weed.

I think you advice on dealing with panic attacks is good. However the other person has already identified the trigger that is weed. Sorry to labour the point but it is not a subject to be swept under the carpet, glossed over as it can damage innocent gullible, impressionable people who may be taken in and think/assume that weed/cannabis is not a drug and that it is safe. It is not safe according to clinical and scientific data. It is also addictive and in this country illegal.

Having identified the trigger the solution is in avoiding the trigger that is weed. Remove the cause of the problem.

We are not talking here about medical marujana at all.

​Lives  can be wrecked even lost  by this poison.

Please stop pushing drugs that are illegal.

• Posted

TYPOS Should read that I did not say anyone is/was an addict. Going to a meeting helps as you meet others who are taking drugs which weed is and who want to stop wrecking their lives by taking this trashy stuff.

Are you driving?

Have you ever had a road accident or injured yourself or anyone else whilst under the influence of weed/cannabis.

• Posted

I don't understand what you mean by 'anyone is an addict'

Capri has already stated that she smokes it very occasionally, that is not an addiction any more than I am addicted to parsnips as I have them now and then with a roast dinner!

Yes, cannabis is illegal in the UK but these forums are used by many people all over the world. My guess is that Capri is from the US and it is legal in several states there so we cannot assume any law has been broken.

Her first panic attack happened while smoking weed but the subsequent ones have not. She has not smoked it since the first one which was a while ago. Weed was the possibly the likely trigger for the first one but this doesn't explain the subsequent panic attacks. There is something else going on here apart from an occasional use of weed and that is what I'm trying to get to.

The original post was about panic attacks, not weed. Sadly the weed aspect of the post seems to have been blown out of proportion and has taken over from the main worry which is the continued panic attacks.

• Posted

I did send another message stating that I had meant to write that I did NOT say that anyone is/was an addict. As stated previously the idea of attending aa meeting is to identify the triggers for taking weed/cannabis and to be supported in case one is tempted to do so again. I am unsure what the long term effects of weed is on the brain so cannot comment on this in relation to the incidence of repeated panic attacks which ONLY started when smoking weed, taking edibles and alcohol.

​The other person has stated that she smokes weed , we do not know how often. Why smoke this trash in the first place. PARs\NIPS . I am unable to understand why you chose this in order to attempt to convince me that smoking weed is ok. 

It is obvious the other person lives in the US but what has that got to do with smoking, ingesting inhaling weed, cannabis and other substances of abuse? Thanks.

• Posted

Weed here is the US in certain states IS legal for recreational use. It may be bad idea in your opinion but so is smoking cigs and drinking. AA an NA only deals with pills, drugs like crack heroin  alcohol and so on.There is no meetings for weed bc it is not addictive like other drugs. I can safely say I study in RN and psychology is a class I also study.  

If you use weed, drive and get pulled over the fine is 60.00 and no jail time(bc it’s not a serious crime here in the states)  

Weed is a plant. No chemicals are added to weed. It’s natural. Someone who has anxiety disorder can experience higher anxiety while smoking. All of this is based on Medical purposes.  I would be more concerned about pharmaceuticals and the REAL danger of harmful chemicals found in pills. Ativan, klonopin and Xanax are anti anxiety drugs. Those have been proven to be addicted bc of their class D. 

• Posted

We’ll explained Lucy and thank you for explaining that to Harriet because she doesn’t seem to understand my post. 

I’m not an addict (I explained this already). I do it socially. I have not done it since a month ago when I had the first attack. I’m still having these attacks now and more frequently. I don’t understand why. No I do not need to go to any meetings for this! 

• Posted

Thanks for the comment. I needed this and it was so helpful! I’m praying that they will eventually stop. I know one thing for sure, I’m never smoking again! 
    • Posted

Weed is illegal here. I rang the Police and the confirmed that. Pushing drugs is an offence too.

​Weed is a substance of abuse and NHS Choices state that it is illegal and addictive. The evidence is there for you to google. This is England. 

Kindly stop discussing me and trying to humiliate me. That is a crime.

• Posted

I did not say that you are an addict. I am qualified too.

Weed is addictive and illegal in this country. The Police have confirmed that this evening. The problem is that when people push drugs the people who buy them often turn to crime to fund their habit. I am not referring to you but speaking generally

​If you .experienced a panic attack smoking this trash then it is obvious the weed caused it. If you want reassurance that these panic attacks will stop asking an addiction centre who are well conversant with these issues seems a logical thing to do. You have already stated that you are not an addict and do not intend to take this stuff anymore. Good. That is great news. However if you ever feel tempted again you know you can call on support from the organisations mentioned. Take care.

• Posted

Capri Have sent you a link explaining that weed/cannabis/dope causes anxiety and panic attacks. Take care 
    • Posted

We are talking about America here and medical marijuana. We don’t believe Everything on google. I certainly don’t. I’m going to go with my degree on this one. We are aware of the law on recreational weed. I think Capri is from the Ud so giving us info based on another country does us no good here. 

Her post was “will I ever feel normal again.” After smoking weed. This is NOT a debate on legal or illegal. She never stated she was addicted and the correct answer to this post would be “yes! Stop smoking weed” not “find a meeting to identify your trigger.”  She’s not asking about triggers. She talking about panic attacks!! Jeez!!

• Posted

I did not say that you are an addict. Where did you get that notion from?
    • Posted

I disagree. Weed is addictive, dangerous and illegal in this country those are the facts . Pls go to NHS Choices for the evidence. This is what this website goes by.

Bestj

• Posted

Harriet, you keep repeating that it is illegal in this country. You have even phoned the police to confirm that (wow). Nobody is disputing that. We all know it is illegal in the UK.

But as has been pointed out several times, she is NOT in this country. She is from the US where it IS legal.

People from all over the world use these forums, so UK advice and laws don't always apply.

I am unfollowing this discussion now as it is getting ridiculous and is no longer about what the original poster was asking.

Capri - good luck. Feel free to PM me.

• Posted

I have observed that a lot of young people subscribe to this forum/website. In the public interest it has to be pointed out that weed causes panic attacks etc.

Help is available to those who smoke this susbstance occassionally or otherwise. I am sorry that you are angry at the facts.  

No one has ever said or suggested that you are an addict. The Organisations mentioned offer support to everyone affected by drugs which weed/cannabis is.

I hope you are ok and receive counselling or help from your dr over the ill effects of smoking weed.  Thank you Take care.

• Posted

I think Trading Standards would disagree. You are not allowed to make false claims. How do you know that I do not work for Trading Standards This is a serious matter.
    • Posted

Capri Thank you for your PM thanking me for the link to Panic attacks and weed/cannabis. I am glad that you found it helpful and that you never going to smoke weed/cannabis gain.

Take care and best wishes.  xx

• Posted

I am afraid that I am going to have to discontinue this discussion.

Claims have been made that cannabis/weed/dope is used in various conditions including cancer ...

If you google the cancer Act of 1039 you will get an indication of what you are writing collectively is by implication contravening this Act.

I hope that the others have read enough to realise that smoking weed/cannabis/dope is not conduicive to good health.  I wish you all well.

• Posted

I think you'll find Harriet that I have made absolutely no claims about any health benefits. Please go back and read my posts before accusing me - this is libel which is illegal.

• Posted

Claims have been made that weed/cannabis is not addictive and is used in various conditions. I did not  identify anyone  so how is that termed as being libellous?

My computer is being serviced so unavailable online for several days.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Good advice re the panic attacks. Hope you feel better soon.  Best
    • Posted

Your reply re trading standards was to me. THAT is identifying me as the recipient of that remark.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.