Panic attacks at night, feeling like suffocating

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi, I've been having alot of nightmares lately with this hurrendous sleep paralysis, and waking up in a panic, gasping for breath, feeling disoriented, feeling like I've been smothered and can't get my breath!!! It's so frightening and worrying me why I'm getting it...??

Is anyone else getting these symptoms...?

Is this perimenopause as well or something more serious....??

Makes me feel like I'm loosing it when it happens and takes me ages to come round properly from it. Then feels like or get scary thoughts that I'm going mad, and things aren't real... Scaring me sence less 😳😵😱😰😭😭😭

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

YES I have it. Just a had a major panic attack from a nightmare last night. Panicking in my sleep. Takes me some time to open my eyes to wake up. More time to sit up . I had to have a half xanax. Takes me an hour or two to calm down. Panic attacks make my stomach empty out from top to bottom. Its like instant. I guess this what they call scared s***less.

I had PTSD when younger. But its come back with a stressful life situation. But I think its hormonal influenced as from what I read on this form it is a top symptom of menopause. Drs handing out antidepressants, xanax like candy. But not getting to the core of the problem. You nerves feel like they are greased.

Anxiety won't kill you its just makes you feel like you are dying. I am going to take xanax more regularly. Only had it as a security blanket in my purse in case of a panic attack. But I need to treat this more regularly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.