Panicking as mental health nurse told me citalopram won’t work

Posted , 7 users are following.

i called my mental health team this morning as I’m on week 6 of taking citalopram 20mg and I’m waking up panicky at three am then I’m been sick with anxiety. One of the mental health nurses told me that anti depressants like citalopram won’t work on anxiety alone as I’ll need therapy too. I know that therapy will help me but there is a long wait for it but for them to dishearten me regarding the citalopram is awful. Has anyone else out there got by on citalopram alone for anxiety.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

citrolopram will help depression  and anxiety on its own.Once you have taken it for 8/10 weeks this medication will work and carry on working as vlong as you take it daily.I  was on this medication for some time and it did indeed work for me
  • Posted

Yes. I'm still on this Medication for health anxiety and it has work for me as well..is way too early to determine at six weeks it took me 8, months to recover and four months to feel the benefits.. and iam only on ten milligrams...

• Posted

I think it all depends on the person and personality type what approach is best. Some people are naturally more passive and have a "what will be will be" spirit and do better with just letting the medication run its course. I on the other hand have a personality that is much more geared towards a sense of control, I like to know that if I do steps a,b,c I will see result d, well turns out anxiety does not work like that. I received a book recommendation from the wonderful Katecogs! And upon reading that and a little work with a therapist I am learning how to give up the control aspect which has helped me from obsessing over it and judging myself which has made the grip of anxiety start to loosen. I dont know if the therapist would have been totally necessary had I realized some of this earlier.

• Posted

Thank you Matthew for the advice and reassurance, can u remember the name of the book at all. I’m really struggling at the moment as I feel that I was getting somewhere and now I’ve stepped back to the earlier days. It’s unbearable at the moment I just hope I’m going to get through this.
    • Posted

I will private message you the title they won't let us out it on the forums. I also hit a struggling point around the 6-7 week point. My therapist helped me to realize that I kept comparing how I felt at the present moment to how I felt prior to having these feelings. She said I needed to stop comparing how I feel all together but if couldn't she helped me to narrow my focus to just compare it against my lowest points. This helps me realize a lot of the time that even though I might be feeling off it isnt near as bad as it had been, that maybe I had just hit a flat point but if I kept up the good work I would keep getting better. Before I'd compare how felt to how I used to and if I felt anything off I would catastrophize everything and tell myself I want getting anywhere and I couldn't do anything and was a failure and I'd hide myself away. Part of the process is to put yourself out there, even if it is uncomfortable, and slowly things come back. I see where you said you feel like you were letting your family down, do you have children? If so I have a little advice on this also.

• Posted

Yes I have an eight year old and I try to keep as much as I can hidden from her so she doesn’t see me at my worst but it is a struggle. When my mind wants to catastrophise everything on a bad day I fear that I may not be able to provide for her. I know that it hasn’t happened yet but that’s the problem with anxiety isn’t it.
    • Posted

It's horrible how your brain makes you feel like your having physical pain..but the doctors can't find nothing wrong with you...I sympathize with you..but you will recover iam a recovered example...so hang tight .it's very sloww

• Posted

Thank you for the reassurance Lois, it’s nice to hear how it’s worked for others, even though we are all different and it takes us all different time lengths, it’s still nice to hear from those that have made it.
    • Posted

I completely understand, I have 9 and a five year old and I spent a lot of time feeling like I was failing them or that I wouldn't be able to make them happy. The most important thing to do is to just keep doing stuff with them no matter how cruddy you feel. I used to get so upset with myself because I would do something with them but I wouldn't really enjoy it and felt like I failed them, or what I was doing with them wasn't good enough because I was too scared to go anywhere. Then one day I was talking with my mom about it and she said "it doesn't matter if I liked it, it mattered that the girls liked it. That they couldn't tell the difference how I was feeling on the inside all they cared about was that I was spending time with them." Once I paid attention, it was true they just liked spending time with me. I've spent a lot of time doing craft store crafts and coloring books, reading to them, and painting their nails or letting them paint my toenails. Also we listen to a lot of upbeat Christian music and have dance parties, it doesn't have to be Christian just our preference. Lots of times I really have to take it to get started but once we start singing and dancing I end up feeling pretty good! Just keep chugging along and before you know it you will notice times that you aren't having to fake it!

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I can relate to how you’ve felt because I feel just like that too. I end up feeling like a failure and that I’ve let her down. I know that she needs me and that’s what’s kept me going. I just hope that she never suffers like I do which is why I try to stop her from seeing me upset. I just hope I can keep finding the strength to keep doing the little things at the moment, all she wanted was for me to watch Star Wars with her tonight so I’ve sat and done that even though the anxiety was laying heavily on my mind, I just try to hide it and to appear happy as much as I can.
  • Posted

Thank you for the advice everyone it’s reassuring to know that you’ve all got there or are well on your way to recovery. I’m hoping it’s just early days for me but there has been times over the last couple of days when I think I just can’t do this anymore. I feel I’m letting my family and friends down and I just don’t know how to get through this.

• Posted

I took Citalopram specifically for anxiety and it worked for me and let me feel normal again - for 5 years.  This was also without therapy.

However, I do recommend you do take up therapy as I regret I didn't when I first started Citalopram.  My anxiety came back and I found I couldn't deal with it.

But Citalopram DID help with my anxiety by itself.  It really just depends on what medication works for you.

• Posted

Did the anxiety come back because you stopped taking them or altered the dose. I’ve been on them before for anxiety with post natal depression so I took them for five years but last year the doctor told me to come of them slowly, so I did and I slowly got the anxiety back and went back onto them when I thought I can’t cope with this anymore, I wish I’d stayed on them.
    • Posted

Hi.  No, I didn’t alter or stop my dose.  I was consistently on 20mg.  Not really sure what brought on the anxiety again except that I had experienced a bad panic attack after years of not having one and I suppose I just forgot how to deal with all those terrible feelings.

Have you ever done therapy?  I’ve just been to 2 sessions, but I’m hoping it will help me long term with the panic/anxiety regardless if I stay on the medication or eventually taper off of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.