Panicking as mental health nurse told me citalopram won’t work

Posted , 7 users are following.

i called my mental health team this morning as I’m on week 6 of taking citalopram 20mg and I’m waking up panicky at three am then I’m been sick with anxiety. One of the mental health nurses told me that anti depressants like citalopram won’t work on anxiety alone as I’ll need therapy too. I know that therapy will help me but there is a long wait for it but for them to dishearten me regarding the citalopram is awful. Has anyone else out there got by on citalopram alone for anxiety.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gemma are you feeling any better as the day goes on? I'm on 9 weeks and really thought I was making progress last week. Then yesterday was pretty cruddy and this morning I felt like a truck filled with anxiety hit me. I did not make it to work and ended up feeling super depressed and just kind of gave up and just laid on the couch all day. This afternoon I'm getting a bit of an uptick and am ready to take on the fight again. I just dont understand how I can feel so good for days then boom feel like I am back at square one. It is exhausting

• Posted

I know how you feel. It's a slow progress to get there but we'll do this together. I took ziplocone last night and slept well which has left me in a better place to get by. I'm still anxious but not as bad today as I was yesterday so just take it a day at a time and be kind to yourself you can get past this and u will get better. I'm here if u need me, we all are.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.