Paroxetine / Seroxat withdrawal symptoms

Posted , 41 users are following.

after being on the anti depressant Seroxat for 21 years, I am now coming off it, my doctor says must do this gradually. I am now taking 10mg every other day for 1 month then hopefully continue with maybe two 10 mg each week.

However I am having symptoms of withdrawal, I feel like I have a bees nest in my head, continuous buzzing then occasionally a feelin like an electric shock with a definite ping sound. 

I do not have this when lying down at night but I cannot lay down all day!

Has anyone else sffered this and if yes then how long will it last?

5 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi all, hope it's ok to post on here even though the original post was a year ago, I see a reply 4 days ago and have been very keen to join a forum to try to get as much advice as possible from fellow sufferers of this nightmare drug!

I have been on seroxat for 20 years (biggest mistake of my life) I went to see the Drs after being ditched by a boy who I thought was the love of my life, and not understanding these feelings were in fact very normal and given time would go I was told by the Drs I had anxiety and these new drugs were the 'wonder cure' I trusted the Dr that they would help with these horrid feelings I had not had before.

He put me on 20mg which I faithfully took for 10 years. Never noticed any difference whatsoever, none! So, I decided 10 years ago to go down to 10mg overnight. This worked absolutely fine.

Fast forward to 5 years ago, and I started getting perfectly healthy teeth that had never been filled suddenly becoming loose and needing removal. Not choosing root canal. I was told I had bone loss, now these were perfectly healthy teeth!? No bleeding gums, not gum disease but a drug was suspected.

So I looked into this to see if there was a correlation between any meds I am on (This is the only prescribed med I am on) and bone loss there was!! I found other people had a similar experience with seroxat and bone loss resulting in tooth removal! I couldn't believe it! This scared me enough to want to come off this drug asap, so I made an appointment with the Dr who told me I could quit cold turkey as he has had patients do this that had been on it for as long as I had and successfully managed this, or cut down to 5mg for 1 week then 4mg for 1 week 3mg for 1 week etc until you quit! My Dr also told me that because I have been on seroxat for so long they would've stopped woking about 4 years ago as my body would've become accustomed to it, therefore rendering it useless other than any bad side effects! 

Not so simple!! 5 weeks ago I took myself from 10mg to 5mg overnight by cutting the pill in half. First 2 weeks fine, then the 3rd week oh dear.... I have been just horrid, vile to live with, very very short tempered, ratty, shouting, such anger where I am full of rage, and it happens suddenly no build up, it's dreadful, also can get very over emotional at things that I'd normally have laughed off before I cut down!? But not everyday, about 3 to 4 times a week. Now my partner is struggling to cope with this even though I have told him none of my anger is personally directed at him, he sees it that way. I have been seeing things from the corner of my eye, like white flashes or black flashes too. I know it's the reduction in this pill!

I just don't know what to do. I am in no way wanting to go back to 10mg. I know that some of you are on 60mg, and this must seem so trivial I apologise I don't mean to moan, and I am thankful to be on such a low dose. But nevertheless I am going through these horrendous withdrawals like others here and so so sympathise, but feel pretty hopeless, is there light at the end of the tunnel? Have any of you successfully come from 10mg down to 5mg overnight with no adverse effects? How did you cope? How long do I stay on 5mg for? Do I need to go on a different drug to help cope as I don't want to start all over again with seroxat? Please can someone tell me if I'll get through this? I was thinking of taking 5Htp pills whilst still taking the 5mg dose.

I am due to see my Dr next week, but as nice as he is he sadly hasn't got a clue about just how very addictive seroxat is and just how difficult it is to come off of it. 

Please can anyone on here give any advice? Even if just to say it is possible to successfully come down to 5mg. How long will this anger last on 5mg? Will it get better at 4mg etc? When do I cut down to 4mg? I don't think my Dr can help me with these questions which is why I have more faith in the seroxat community here.

I am sorry for this long reply. I really don't know where else to turn. Thank you all so very much.

• Posted

Hi Seroxatbegone [great ID for this forum] I started this thread and although I have been off Seroxat for over a year now, I realised people are still struggling.

I am sorry you are struggling to come off this terrible drug and I think what you are suffering is agitation and this is your body trying to get you to give it the drug. When I got off it, I did not go directly down to 5mg but started by taking 10mg every other day for 1 month to fool my body into believing I was still on the same dose. After 1 month I went down to 5mg for 1 month, then commenced 5mg every other day for 1 month. By this time any side effects had diminished so I tried 2 days without then one day with 5mg for 2 weeks and after this I stopped altogether. I may have suffered some withdrawal symptoms but they diminished quite quickly. This might have seemed like a long spell of cutting down, but it worked for me and if you look back on this forum you will be able to read my update after 6 months of stopping. Now after more than one year without it I have had no sign of depression and no bouts of anxiety. However I am finding that I am more emotional and cry easily whenever sad things happen but compared to when I was on Seroxat where I could neither feel sad nor truly happy this emotion is welcomed because I feel normal emotions at last.

Good luck to everyone on their journey off this drug and if my joirney helps then I am pleased to be of assistance.

• Edited

Hi I've been on seroxat since 1995 and have tried to come off it before, using liquid paroxetine and dropping 1ml at a time. Had got down (on tablets) to 10mg and doctor was OK with that, but then another doctor in the same practice said they weren't going to renew my prescription. I got liquid paroxetine and am down now to 2ml (4mg) but it seems that it takes my brain time to catch up with the rest me when I move my head. I also get "electric shocks in my head" and it feels at times as if my heart has skipped a beat. Feeling anxious again so seeing the doctor again tomorrow. Will update you...

• Posted

Hi Valerie1957, well done you are almost there to be off Seroxat for good. Please persevere because what you are experiencing are the side effects of withdrawal but these will get better. I realise at times it is hellish but believe me it will ease it just has to run it's course and eventually you will come out the other side Seroxat free and withdrawal symptom free. I know cos I have done it and have been free for over a year. Keep positive stay strong and you too will succeed.  Hope you can get more liquid good luck.

• Edited

How could such meds be legal to be taken if it cause such horrible side effects 
    • Posted

I cannot answer that but to say for some people it works well, it did for me until I needed to come off it then found I had the Seroxat withdrawal syndrome (look it up on internet). The doctors are aware of this but they also know that this drug works for most people. Perhaps it should only be used short term cos it seems to me the longer you take it the harder to withdraw.
    • Posted

Hi tillycd, thank you so so much for replying.

I think you have done so incredibly well to be completely seroxat free, you are very strong smile I read you say it took a long time, and I think this is the right way forward and the Drs don't seem to realise the seriousness of the withdrawals hen they get you to cut down so dramatically so quickly, and my instincts tell me to take it so steady now. 

I am a wimp though because I'm still on 5mg everyday ! I'm so so scared to go to 2.5mg, and I have the liquid here unopened! I may try what you suggested every other day. Do you think I should go straight down to 2.5mg or 4,3,2 for a month at a time?

As for my mood swings I was desperate so I bought some St Johns Wort tablets and have been taking these for 12 days exactly, my awful anger has subsided but I don't feel mega happy or elated like they are supposed to do? But now I don't know if it's the St John's Wort tablets that are masking the anger caused from withdrawal or my body has got used to the 5mg dose now if that makes sense? 

I thank you so much for support and admire your strength smile

• Posted

Hi Tilly

Not sure if I replied to this (that'll be about the time I was going through hell withdrawing I apologise x I wanted to update with what I hope is good news x After reading your story I am inspired because I know it is possible to come off of seroxat for good! 👌I am now down to 2.5mg in liquid form x I am not feeling as bad as when I went from 10mg to 5mg! The transition from 5 to 2.5mg has been easier x will it get better? I hope the fear and anger doesn't come back x I am taking 1 st Johns Wort tablet a day maybe this is helping ? In a way it's a shame because I don't know how I am naturally if that makes sense? Is the St Johns Wort masking how I should be feeling on 2.5mg?? Thanks Tilly 🤗

• Posted

Hi Valerie 

Wondered how you're doing with the weaning process? Are you any lower than 4mg? I hope you're staying strong and feeling really well and the worst is over! 🙏🏻🤗

• Posted

Hi, I have written several posts explaining how I got off seroxat. Not everyone might do it this way, but for me, so far, it has worked.

In a nutshell, my GP suggested I switch from seroxat to Prozac, and then slowly withdraw from that. Prozac has a much longer half life than seroxat, which is why it is easier for the body to withdraw from the former.

Please discuss fully with your GP and see what you think.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Isabella..

Do it by degrees over six months.

I did cold turkey and it was HELL.

Go easy on yourself. Be patient 🌷

• Posted

Hello all I was very happy to find this discussion about seroxat withdrawal symptoms.

I have my father (about 65 yrs old) who was on seroxat for 10 years. He was taking 1 pill every morning of 20 mg

He has parkinson disease but the Dr gave him seroxat just for matters of "precautions". My father never showed in the past any depression symptoms.

Two weeks ago we read some articles about antidepressants and how bad side effects they have so ..we read the seroxat instructions and the side effects got as alarmed

We wanted to stop this pill since there was no meaning to our opinion.

My father cut the pill into half and just took 10 mg every morning. He started this on  Sunday two weeks ago

Until 4 days after he was doing fine but on Wednesday in the afternoon he looked a bit confusing. Next day morning he was ok until afternoon. He continued to take half pill (10 mg) till Saturday. Then his symptoms seemed too bad and we called our Dr. He said to start again the whole pill (20 mg).

He took half pill on Saturday afternoon and on Sunday morning (last Sunday from today) he took again his usual 1 pill (20mg).

Monday morning he was ok but in the afternoon he got again worse talking rubbish and seeing things..

Tuesday morning and noon he was great an we all were happy. But afternoon he got again worse

Last Wednesday he was tired anxious and in his world..

Yesterday he was good during noon .

Today Friday he was sleepy in the morning took his pill didnt realise much. But during noon he was slightly better.

In the afternoon he was up very energetic but in his own world he was opening doors closing doors he was walking here and there.

In the evening he got a bit relaxed but he was again closed in his own world.

What is your opinion ? our Dr says we should wait 2 weeks...

We thought taking back his original dose his symptoms would ease and he would get back his logic

But it seems this is not happening. Whenever he gets a bit better then he goes back mumbering and talking rubbish.

Dr says we should wait with stabilized doze and then after he recovers start very slowly reducing the doze. 

We are trying to find other Dr but it would be helpful to hear your opinions too since we are afraid maybe something else should be done. (we lost trust in current Dr since he never told us the side effects of Seroxat nor the withdrawal symptoms)

thanks a lot 

• Posted

Hi Belisarious, I have not heard of these withdrawal symptoms nor these effects when taking the drug. Could it be possible that by lowering the dose it uncovered some other problem your father may be suffering from. I do think the doctor makes sense to leave it for 2 weeks then if his symptoms continue there could be possibly something else going on. Most doctors do not tell you about the withdrawal syndrome this drug causes, but taking the drug does not seem to cause most people problems it is only when trying to come off it these side effects occur. You can read about Seroxat Withdrawal syndrome on the internet.
    • Posted

Hi Tillycd,

and tnks for your reply. He told us he has vivid nightmares, he does feel that electric shock in the brain and his legs shake when he is in bed among others. Of course our worst concern is he confuses memories and he doesnt have touch with reality. Afternoons he gets more anxious while mornings till noon he is more relaxed. Which effect do you refer as not expected ? because I thought they were usual even after taking the dose for a period of 1 to 2 weeks. I read in several articles that after coming back in many cases it was a nightmare even when they went back to the normal dose before trying to reduce, Also it was mentioned in some cases it could take a whole month to stabilize.. As you can see i get more and more worried to check for another Dr...

tnks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.