Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation side effects of Bisoprorol

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PAF 2 months ago but am having dreadful side effects from medication Bisoprolol, since starting them I have gone from a very active 68 year old to being zombie like GP always has stock answer the benefits outway the risks and the side effects. I think the worst thing has been the awful feeling in my throat and a persistent dry cough

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda. There are other medications and other doctors. Try something and someone else. I'm on Sotolol and have no problems. The main thing is to be on blood thinners so you don't have a stroke. I'm in AF now because l ate something with preservatives in it which is what triggers AF for me. If l a void those foods and drinks with msg and preservatives I'm fine. They can take a few days to get out of my system then l am fine. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Robyn, Thank you for your prompt reply, I am seeing the Cardiologist in a couple of weeks so I will ask him about Sotolol, My echocardiogram came back showing no sign of any heart diesease at all, I think maybe it could be that my immune system doesn't function properly I was diagnosed 20 years ago with Sjogren's Syndrome and I also have palandromic rhuematism, my imune system often rejects meds that others can take. Iam on thank you for your sound advice.Linda.
    • Posted

No problem Linda. I know everyone is different and it's good to know you are not the only one with AF. It's a journey and l hope you get sorted sooner rather than later. good luck. You don't feel so stressed the further you get from the initial diagnosis.
    • Posted

Hi Robyn. That is interesting to read that you have triggers. I thought it just happened randomly! I'm now going to start keeping notes of what I've eaten/drank when I go into AF and hopefully find the cause of these worrying episodes ...
    • Posted

Hi Robyn. I was interested to read the above - my original theory of my own pad was sugar rush! I'm not diabetic in any way, and apart from evening, eating is my only common factor, though I've yet to pinpoint a specific food or type. Your observation is interesting.
    • Posted

Hi Christine and Congo. someone else on this forum suggested foods last year so l kept a diary. drinks affect me within hours. Food takes up to a day. I've realized that preservatives 200- 230 (sulphites) and 620-625 .(msg) put me In AF. I've found some drops called pure wine which dissolve the preservatives and they have been fantastic. Some wines have still done it so It's trial and error. Worth looking Into foods as anything you can do to prevent It Is a good thing. good luck! Of course my doctors Arnt convinced but l am..
    • Posted

Thanks Robyn. MSG has long been identified as a "problem" additive in foodie world, but is used extensively as a flavour enhancer. I'm intrigued by the preservatives though. I'll have to explore that one a bit further. Im pleased to note that since my original posts regarding side effects of bisoporol, the headaches have eased, but I still have dry eyes and mouth and digestion upset. Stress in sure contributes too in AF episodes I fear.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, do you take other medication too? I know everyone is different but in the last six months my Bisoprolol intak has gone from 2.75mg to the max of 10mg per day. I didn't any of the symptoms you have described but tiredness was a problem but I'm okay now. I also take dijoxin and warfarin
    • Posted

Hi Anna Maria thank you for your reply I must say I am so pleased I found this forum, its alaways best to speak to those who are living with the same thing. I am only on 1.25mg but quite often my immune system throws out things other people can use for example I am unable to take any anelgesia apart from paracetamol and then I can only take one if I take 2 within 20mins I amcovered from head to toe in an itch rash.
  • Posted

Hi Linda. I was also diagnosed with PAF. I'm on warfarin. Cardiologist prescribed bisoprolol 2.5g. Almost immediately I felt worse so after two weeks the dose was halved. I stayed on it for another two weeks but my condition didn't improve. A month ago I stopped it completely (in agreement with my GP). After 3 days I felt better. In time I hope to go on another anticoagulant which doesn't need constant monitoring. I would advise you to see another doctor and, if you must be on a betablocker, ask for an alternative. When I asked my doctor if bisoprolol could make me feel worse he said yes because we're all different and although it works for the majority there will be some for whom it does not.
    • Posted

Thanks for that Christine, as I replied to Robyn my immune system is not good and there are lots of meds I can't tolerate, so I am hoping a visit to cardiologist will be successful, GP wanted me to go on Warfarin but I asked for more evidence that I need it, as my Sjogren's Syndrome over the years has caused severe gastritis and my stomach lining is already like tissue paper so he put me on Clopidogrel but I can only take it every third day, do you know if you have to weend off Bisoprolol.
    • Posted

I didn't have to be weaned off but I had been on it for only a month. I couldn't believe how I went from feeling okay to feeling really ill. I hope you are able to come off it ... keep us posted!
    • Posted

I have been on it for about 8 weeks, I was only about 3 weeks in when I asked GP for an alternative or to come off but he wouldn't hear of it like you I went from well apart from the AF to very poorly within a few days.I had no energy and felt very weak I didn't even go out for 2 weeks I didn't have the energy to walk. Re Robyns comments about triggers this is why forums like this are so good we learn a lot from each other.
    • Posted

Agree we are all different when it comes to meds. I found that my Afib started after I took Ramipril for BP and after changing to Candesartan was made worse. I'm now on 2.5mg Bisoprolol and it's good for my BP and Afib. Tiredness is a problem but prefer that to the Afib. I was taking Sotalol with Ramipril and then Candesartan but any potential benefit was undone by these meds and I don't take it any more.
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I was on Bisoprolol and it didn't help my palpitations at all.  It did however give me really bad headaches and migraines.  Like you my echo has come back 'essentially normal' and I don't know what triggers mine.  Like everyone says on here different medication works for different people. Have a look at natural remedies, I started a discussion on here about a week ago looking for natural help with AF and had some really good info from a guy called Frank.  See if you can find it.  I have now been given Verapamil which is a slow release tablet.  Only been on it two days so far with everything crossed I am not having any side effects or palpitations.  I would just keep pestering your GP until they find something that works for you.

Gloria

• Posted

Hi Gloria,

Thanks for the info, Like you I don't know what triggers mine heart good and I have never suffered with high blood pressure, I hope your new meds work let me know how you go

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.