Partial hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

4 months postop partial hip replacement....keep getting groin pain n still walking with cane...Some days I feel fine but others my leg feels stiff...Is this normal?

Also are precautions forever?..Like not being able to bend down n put my shoes on????...not being able to sleep on my side....This is depressing me.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Cecilia

You will have people who were hopping and skipping after a few weeks and others that are still on crutches at 4 months with a plethora of issues. I take it that you are religiously doing your exercises as they will help tremendously. Re is this forever the answer is no. you should be able to do almost everything but again others will say you should always be wary . my view is for me to rule my hip and not the hip telling me what I can and cant do . re the groin pain this should subside but again there are so many factors ,get checked out by doctor if it keeps up .

• Edited

I'm assuming you also had hip surgergy....

Was yours anterior or posterior? How long did it take for you to recover?

I have been doing my exercises n walking at least 15 minutes a day.

But then my surgical leg becomes sore n there is pain afterwards....could I be over doing it?

• Posted

Keith I read your surgergy was also a posterior approach...Are you allowed to bend down as to tie your shoe laces...sit on regular chairs...not have to sit on 90° angle all the time. ..or have to sit on raised potty all the time?

• Edited

lol Cecilia I had real bit between teeth and was adamant I was going to do everything I did before. I didn't use those toilet seats ,that was a struggle and was off stick by day 10 and back to running at week 4 . took to about week 4 to be able to sleep on operated side but was tying shoe Laces from about week 2 but with some.pain. Honestly its going to be uncomfortable for a while but if you dont push you will keep to your comfort zone . Certain surgeons are more upbeat and will depend greatly on how fit etc you were before surgery and what you want out after . They will tell you that the data was built around older people and now that more younger and different materials in the hip old info is slowly being updated. If you want accurate info on surgery outcomes look at the national joint registry 2019 report it tells you a world of info .

• Posted

My hardware is metal n it was cemented.....I am 66 yrs old....I was pretty normal before my fall I jury.

Did your dr. tell you not to bend down bc you cld dislocate?...I'm having a problem with this...

My surgery was posterior.

• Edited

Cecilia

my surgery was posterior titanium prosthesis into thigh,ceramic ball with plastic/titanium insert in the pelvis uncemented. He just told me that it would take few weeks to mend and then do as i wished .he did not tell me not to bend ,cross legs, tie shoe laces etc. From week 4 i was back running by week 7 up to 10 k and now doing half marathon distances . i will be 12 months in july . I am younger though 53.

• Posted

Like me....but is this for the rest of our lives?...never to be able to choose where we want to sit so as not to break 90 degree rule...nor bend down n tie our shoes or get dressed normal?

• Posted

Please let me know what kind of surgery did you have...Also, what else he tells you about the precautions...Thank you.

• Edited

hello, I'm just curious...what is a partial hip replacement?

• Edited

it's normal to still be stiff...to tell you the truth I never had restrictions .I had lateral anterior approach..total left hip replacement..at 8 weeks I was riding my horse again...stretching for me was very important ..still do have to stretch alot..but I'm hiking and riding my horse...things will get better...I promise..

• Edited

Hi Cecila. I wonder the same thing aswell. I am assuming you arent having any physio, that doesnt help does it. From everthing i have read on here, it does get easier but some residual issues remain. My consultant told me i would never be the same person i was prior to hip fracture. I am 3 month THR and having real problems too. Groin, loss of muscle etc.. nothing seems to improve it and i do the exercises as prescribed. I think it's time lovely - just going to take time and physio when we can get it.

All the best and know you are not alone on here xxx

• Posted

I get better n then I start feeling stiff again...when I cook n stand at stove for more than 10 mins. I start getting pain....no groin pain at rest only when walking n exercising.I can walk without a cane but limp n some pain..Dr. said it will go away...Because of the pandemic had not had any xray done.

He also said I wld never be able to bend down( as to pick things up from floor...tie shoes...cross legs....put pants on without a reacher bc I could dislocate my hip.....This is hard on me bc I live alone n do everything on my own...including my yard work....What do you all think?

• Posted

My surgeon told me that my precautions were forever! I live alone n need to do so many things that require bending down.....getting dressed....doing yardwork.....cleaning ...etc.

Did they tell you the same thing?

• Posted

I am 3 months from hip replacement have been walking been out on my daughter bike and will be off fishing once lince comes I am lucky that I heal quickly as just before I found out I had arthritis I rolled a quad bike down a hill broke 11 ribs and shoulder blade was taken to Nottingham truma centre was in for 2 weeks but after a few days you would not have thought that anything was wrong

• Edited

Cecilia

Please dont get too down you can take out of the site what you will and take what advice may suit . As an example Kirstie's doc told her to take precautions and they were forever ,whereas mine told me to get on with whatever I wanted including returning to running which I promptly did . We all have different aches and pains and they will get better with more exercise time and determination.

• Edited

hi I had RTHR almost a year ago and agree it takes time for you to get as good as you'll get. I had groin / upper leg pain for a gd 6 months. I'd not realised how bad my muscles had become and it was them screaming out at me - stretching in a morning on waking was a nightmare. I went back to see my GP and fortunately got to see a physio who gave me extra exercises to do + the use of those exercise bands you can use. I noticed a big difference almost immediately.

I think the main thing abt hip surgery is that like most things everyones different and have other health issues which could impede things.

my advice re walking is to do as much as you can for as long as you can which atm isnt easy for many of us. pre lockdown I was going out for a walk abt 3 x a day .I'm lucky I live in flat safe area to do this. I'm hoping next week once the rush to get out by others has calmed down I can do this again and drive somewhere I can walk abt as well.

I'm sure you know it takes at least a year to get you as gd as you'll get. if I'm walking far I still need a stick more for my lower back pain from arthritis there than anything. but compared to how bad I was pre OP I'm just so grateful for less pain and improved mobility.

best wishes in your recovery

• Edited

I had no trouble walking before surgery;however, I slipped on water n fell n broke my hip...so had partial hip replacement.

• Posted

Alan how young are you?

I know you mentioned you had the same pr ecautions.

So you werent expected to follow them forever?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.