Partial hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

4 months postop partial hip replacement....keep getting groin pain n still walking with cane...Some days I feel fine but others my leg feels stiff...Is this normal?

Also are precautions forever?..Like not being able to bend down n put my shoes on????...not being able to sleep on my side....This is depressing me.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I am 3 months since hip surgery and still get pain in groin but to day went out with daughter and her boyfriend to look at a fishing lake and no walking stick and no pain

• Edited

Hi Cecilia,

4 months is still quite early in your recovery. I was told that it can take up to a year, and during that time you should continue to improve. I remember feeling disappointed at times, when I was feeling sore after a long day, but hang on in there.... Keep on doing your exercises, and walking. That should help your muscles to strengthen.

I can do everything that I used to do, except I don't run any more. (except for a bus!)

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Mine was posterior, but it was minimally invasive, I have a short scar, and I was lucky,had a very straightforward recovery. I was also relatively young, 57, and before my ostioarthritis got going I was very fit.

• Posted

Yes I had all the precautions, raised sofa, raised bed, toilet seat, grabber. I was careful not to break the 90 degree rule for the first 3 months. I used crutches for 6 weeks, I had 1 physio appointment, and they showed me how to walk nicely, heel to toe, and they kept the crutches.

Although I was careful about the precautions I was v active. I did my exercises, walked every day, and had some great days out by the sea, travelling on public transport on my crutches. (People were v helpful making a space for me.)

I wonder if it's different for you because you were unlucky and broke your hip. Does it make dislocation more likely perhaps? You talked about discomfort, are you still taking some pain meds?

• Posted

Hi Judith....so you had a posterior approach?Was it cemented?

And the dr. didn't tell you

precautions were forever?

Why did you need yours?

I dont think the reason I had the surgery matters....its the kind of surgery.

How old were you may I ask n how long did it take you to recover? Did dr. mention there wld always be risk of dislocation?

• Edited

Hi Cecilia, I had osteoarthritis in my right hip. For ages I just thought I'd pulled a muscle... then saw the doc and had an x ray. I was about 53 I think, and then I waited ages because I thought I would try and avoid a revision later. It was getting more and more painful, and I had an mri, and saw a consultant who booked me straight in. Yes I had a posterior, I was 57, and it was uncemented. He said that he would use a bigger ball so that it would be more stable as I'm active. I was careful about not bending awkwardly for the first 3 months, and I was told no running and no sky diving..... but I can do most things that I want to do, swimming, riding my bike, skiing. I'm a bit stiff at times, and I don't like crouching much, but kneeling down is fine. I did a lot of walking post op, and also the exercises. Were you shown how to stick out your operated leg behind you when you need to bend? That's useful when putting something in the oven! (Or just picking something up.) l I do think it take up to a year to fully recover.

• Posted

Can someone please tell me if precautions are forever????Will I ever be allowed to reach down n do my own shoes....sit on regular chairs n not always at a 90° degree angle...use regular potty....just bend down!!!!!

Bc I cld dislocate. ......I cant live a normal life like this....

• Posted

Hi Cecilia,

I was told twelve week precautions. I started using my elliptical walker from around eight weeks, returned to Pilates at five months and Zumba a couple of months later. I had my posterior replacement, metal/ceramic that was cemented, in April 2018, I was 61.

I still cannot cut my toes on the replacement side unless I sit on the stairs, which was a tip I picked up on this site, it does work. Have you thought of getting an exercise bike, which will help build muscle and flexibility. I do bend, twist etc., It is not perfect and certainly not 'my own hip', it is heavy when I lie flat and lift my leg but, a pilates band is ideal.

I was lucky I did not have any pain at all after op. Keep your chin up and I would suggest the bike and maybe joining a leisure centre when they re-open.

• Posted

Hi Jen thanks for the response. I had the same thing done.Dr. said 12 weeks precautions which I was faithful following n thought I was done...I am physically able to bend down ....BUT he said I had to follow them forever or risk dislocating! My surgery was on Jan. 11 (spent my birthday in hospital Jan.12...😩).I am 4 months post OP n

I will be going home in a couple of weeks n live alone..IM still walking with a cane but can walk alittle without it but limp.

How long did it take you to recover?

Please explain the "chair" deal that let's you bend down to do nails.

Also, did dr. tell you never to bend down for the rest of your life in risk of dislocating?...but you still do it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.