Partial hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

4 months postop partial hip replacement....keep getting groin pain n still walking with cane...Some days I feel fine but others my leg feels stiff...Is this normal?

Also are precautions forever?..Like not being able to bend down n put my shoes on????...not being able to sleep on my side....This is depressing me.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Cecilia,

To cut my nails, I sit on the stairs, that way I can put my feet on another step, it is easier to bend forward to cut my toe nails, it does work.

The day after my op, I dropped a tissue on the floor in the ward, forgot myself and bent to pick it up, a nurse told my off for bending!

To be honest I did stick to the twelve weeks as I was scared of dislocation, after that I never really had a problem. I started testing sleeping on the operated side at about six weeks. I bend over and touch the floor when exercising and have been since restarting Pilates.

When you do walk, walk heel to toe, it makes a big difference.

• Posted

Sorry Jen to bother you n thank you ever so much for responding....

Did you say your surgery was posterior?

And are you talking about stairs in your house?(Dont have any at my house).

When dressing do you dress normally or with a reacher?

Do you sit anywhere n even low chairs? Can you tie your own shoes?

And most important....did dr tell you you could never bend down or flex past 90 °for the rest of your life but you just do it anyway?

I'm sorry I'm being a pest....but dr. told me that that was my new normal n I'm depressed.

• Posted

Jen....I've lived alone for 20 yrs n was used to doing everything myself.

Cleaning .....lawncare....mowing...edgeing....weeding

Climbing ladders to paint ....chang bulbs.etc. etc.

But dr said I had 3% chance of dislocating if I bend down...or flex more than 90 ° n he devastated me....I followed the 12 wk precautions to the max!...I'm 4mos postop now n walking some with a limp.

What do you think?

• Edited

Cecilia,

The only thing my surgeon promised me was I would be out of pain, he promised nothing else. My leg was at least two inches shorter before op, he levelled them up, I had no physio, was sent home after two days with a piece of paper, it had six exercises on, no more help, I rang the hospital once, asked about what can I do and was told, if it hurts stop!

Do not be scared to get back to normal, you can do more than you think. When you start bending, put your hands on your legs and bend forwards, slowly increase how far you bend over time, when you walk, walk heel to toe, it really does help with any limping. Do not be scared to do normal movements, you will get twinges etc, your hip is stronger than you think.

• Edited

Cecilia,

I forgot, have you got a kneeling stool for weeding the garden, they are brilliant for pushing yourself up, I was weeding the garden at about four months, of course you can use it for any kneeling job. I also climbed the step ladder to clean the car roof.

• Posted

Did you have a "total "hip replacement?..Mine was partial hip replacement.

(JUST the ball part broke from socket when I fell).

So do you think in time I will be able to bend down n tie my shoes n dress without a reacher?

Thank you for giving me hope!

• Posted

Cecilia,

I had a full hip replacement as I slipped walking the dog in 2009, from that time it degenerated, until eventually in 2018 I had hip op. I was too scared to have an op, everyone else would nag me, but I was adamant I like my own bones!

I have had a look online and there is no reason why you cannot go back to the activities you did prior to op. Apparently, the main reason they give a partial instead of a full is, like you due to a fall and there is no evidence of arthritis. I read that with a partial as opposed to a full, the head is larger therefore, more stable.

I am sure there will be people on here who have had a partial and returned to full movement, who can give you positive outcomes. I think the main thing is not to be scared of the hip, I was, I was worried about dislocation.

Maybe, be a bit more careful for the next two months. Continue walking and doing the exercises given.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice.....What is a hip op?....n how old are you now

Did you survive the surgery with a partner or were u able to do it by yourself...the reason I ask is because I am going back home next week n I live alone n worried of daily surviving duties.

I dont know if you know but you reaching back out to me means alot n helps my stress.

The reason I'm in this sad state of mind is that the surgeon himself told me NEVER to bend down ...cross legs....tie shoes....to sit 90°..always dress with reacher....even after my 12 weeks of precautions..bc it was my new normal.This was devastating news to me bc I live alone with very little support by my kids.

• Posted

Cecilia

I know you are responding to Jen here but is it any wonder you are worried if the surgeon has told you all these things you would not be able to do . It is very outdated information and as I have said a few times I have no restrictions what so ever and can easily touch toes ,tie shoelaces but will take grit and determination to get where you want to be .

• Posted

Keith I am probably able to bend down n tie my shoes n dress normally...

But my surgeon told me NEVER to do it

bc there was a 3% dislocation .He is a young surgeon..wouldn't he have updated information..?...So I'm worried about even trying.

• Posted

cecilia

There are no certainties in life and 3% is a very low risk factor to be concerned about when there are so many higher riskier probabilities in life we do all the time . The 2019 national joint registry available on line gives you all the probabilities and factual Information if you want it but read with caution .

• Posted

I had my hip replacement on 27 feb and after 5 weeks I was walking up down stairs can put socks on kneel down tie shoes up and more or less back to normal but of late every time I sit and get up I get a very severe pain go down my leg but once I move it goes I am on my 13 week since opp and 66

• Posted

Alan Was your surgery posterior or anterior?

Anterior has no precautions.

• Edited

Cecilia,

My surgeon promised me nothing except being out of pain. As I said previously I was left to get on with my recovery alone, I found this site about a week after my hip operation (hip op).

I do have a husband who helped me, but, a week before my hip replacement he had four stents put in his arteries due to a heart attack three months earlier and he was suffering bad side effects from a tablet, I am 63 now and badly missing the gym as I enjoy going to Pilates, I do Step Aerobics and Zumba purely for exercise and meeting the other ladies.

At four months post op you should not have any problem looking after yourself, you are well past the worst of your operation and should be well on the road to a normal life.

Sometimes surgeons and doctors are not always the best people to advise, as I said before, do not be scared of your hip, it is stronger than you think it is, you can carry on with normal life, you must not allow the surgeon to stop you living. The general rule of thumb appears to be, if it hurts stop.

• Posted

Hi Keirh had my 6 months post op this week. Surgeon said xray looked fine..But I'm still walking with a cane and in pain...He just said to take pain killers. From I gather from him he seems to be telling me that's as good as I'm going to get. He did say my hips were out of alignment....And never fails to tell me that 1 out of 4 people die within a year!!!Is this something your surgeon kept telling you?

• Posted

Cecilia

that information is not right at all and changes with age etc. I have advised others to review the national joint registry national report for 2019 and gives all the outcomes from good to bad way back to early 2000. We have 90k thr in the UK every year and most are very favourable . I had no issues post op at all and as I said I had been running again since week 4. I'm 10 days away from my 1 year anniversary but left hip now starting to go . Have you been keeping up excercises and walking plenty ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.