Partial hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone one on here had a PARTIAL HIP REPLACEMENT because of a fall n fracture with posterior surgery done?

The posts I have read here have been mostly THR n I would like to relate to someone with PHR n recovery journey.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

So sorry. My post seems to have been sent twice! Probably my fault.

• Posted

My surgeon does not have very good manners...Tells me that 1 out of 3 patients die. n my limping might be as good as it gets n that every one with hip surgery has some kind of pain n they deal with it..He

brings me down!

• Posted

My partial was also a femoral neck fracture.

Why is there no dislocation risk with your surgery?

Did you have any precautions to follow?.

• Posted

Half hip replacements don't have the dislocation risk as they haven't put the protective cap in our socket. That's why they didn't give me a full hip replacement as they thought the MS might have weakened my muscles and made the dislocation risk greater. I don't think so as it's a very small risk and I can still walk. Our op. is about 30 mins shorter and recovery time is quicker with a hemi as well. Fewer of the post op. precautions necessary with the full op. I wasn't told I had to do or not do anything in particular. (My surgeon said months later that I should change my exercise routine and use an exercise bike rather than do my 20 mins.walk on a treadmill as that was less impactful. ) That's the good news. Unfortunately when the implant starts to loosen over time, the lack of that protective cap will mean it rubs against our cartilage. My surgeon said I had short term gain over long term gain. 20 years for a full hip but a lot less for a hemi. Internet says about 12 but who knows. I'd rather have gone for long term as I don't fancy outliving this op. The revision is MUCH more difficult. Apologies if you know all this. A hip break meant it wasn't explained to me until it was over. If it had been, I would have told them I wanted long term. Don't mean to be intrusive but do you have other health problems as most people have THR s to avoid the prospect of revisions.

• Posted

Just oesteoporosis....

I think he said that my replacement lasts between 8 or 10 years n if it's so I am p****d!!! I was very active n independent....live alone n did all my gardening n trimming of trees....etc.

How dare he think I wld last only that long!!!!

• Posted

But I am about 7 years older than you...

n really concerned about being able to live normal....Do you know if hip replacement is a death sentence for elders? or does it get better?

• Edited

yes that’s exactly how I felt – written off! I get upset about it too but I think eight years is a very conservative estimate from what I have heard. Certainly hope so. Someone on this site had one that lasted for 20. You will be able to garden and live an independent life once you're fully over the op. And maybe surgery will advance and the revision will be easier. I know I am three years post operation but I am able to live on my own very easily and I don’t have any problems bending down so I’m not sure why your surgeon told you you couldn’t do that! I think it took me about a year to feel fully recovered. But don’t despair, it will happen.

• Posted

Anterior is very different than posterior...anterior doesnt have precautions.

• Posted

Interesting. I didn’t know that. But it does beg the question why isn’t every operation done anterior.

• Posted

My surgeon stopped doing anterior and does lateral posterior as anterior is very open to nerve damage. I was able to do what I liked after four weeks.

• Posted

Celcilia, you might consider "firing" your ortho doc and getting another onei had a bad ortho doc after i had a near fatal auto accident 12 years ago. I finally went to my family doc and asked for a referral for another ortho doctor i was referred to a really good one.I tried to get him after my fall in Feb, but he was not availableYou do NOT have to keep a doctor who does not treat you well. Nancy

• Posted

interesting discussions re. how long the surgery will last. My surgeon and I have not have that discussion--yet.; but I plan on it I know I have you Cecilia and you Carol both beat on age. My family doctor said I am going to live to be 100, so that is another 20 years.

Like you both, I am extremely active.Until i was 70, I was a distance runner. During the last decade i have worked out daily at my health club--strength classes, Pilates, yoga, and swimming . I also have a large yard and gardens that I enjoyed taking care of myself. So being laid up is very frustrating

I've got to figure out what I can do without reinjuring myself

Carol, you have recovered .Do you have suggestions?

Nancy

• Posted

this website is driving me nuts. I think I have responded to your message but it isn’t coming up on this thread. I hope you got it. Is the little private messaging button any better? Or are we allowed to share email addresses?

• Posted

Aaah! Now I think I have replied to Cicelia when I meant to reply to you! Are we allowed to share email addresses? Do you use the private messaging button? Is that any use?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.