Partial hip replacement

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone one on here had a PARTIAL HIP REPLACEMENT because of a fall n fracture with posterior surgery done?

The posts I have read here have been mostly THR n I would like to relate to someone with PHR n recovery journey.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My break was in the femoral neck .The ball and neck and part of the femor was replaced and a large rod was extended down into the femor . I do bend down to put on shoesA large heating pad on the groin and upper thigh helpsSo do hot baths I have had in home PT and am getting moremy health club is closed, and when it opens, I am hoping to get back into yoga and strength building

After being on my feet, i've had to only use my walker and can move only quite slowly, so i don't feel like i am doing well .So, thank you for saying that

I don't think anything was cemented .i'll know more when I see mu ortho doc in a few weeks

• Posted

Hi Nancy ...just checking in with you.

Have you had your Dr. appointment yet.? Curious to know what he tells you.

• Posted

Hi Nancy how are you doing today?

I'm just wondering when pain will go away...June 11 I will be 5 months post op.

Getting nervous because I decided to go back home next Sunday n I live alone.

I'm eager to find out what your Dr. tells you. My appointment is on July.

I wish I had had the anterior approach.

• Posted

HI Cecilia,

I am getting along better . I only use my walker when I get up at night . I can walk some without my cane but do much better with it.

Today I planted a rose and a few perennials. Tomorrow I will plant some annualsI have several gardens: a rose garden (over 70 roses), a shade border, and a mixed border of perennials and annuals.I hire a 15 year old neighbor to help with mowing, digging, etc.

I manage my pain with pain pills, and I take breaks during the day to put heat on my thigh and hip . I think that helps. Tomorrow I am starting mat pilates zoom classes.

I have no idea how I'll do but at least I am going to try.

I also live alone. i have a best friend, Bob. We live separately, but spend several nights together My daughter flew in from Seattle and spent the first week home from the hospital with meI couldn't have done it on my own. Bob then spent nights with me for the next six weeks. Again, , I don't know I could have managed without the help.

My doc appointment is in two weeks.I have questions for him about anterior/posterior surgery and when I can expect the pain to go away. I want another x-ray or even a MRI to see what the tendons look like. Can you think of other questions I might ask?

I think you will also do all right. Do have a neighbor kid who could help out with household tasks? Do you have someone who can pick up groceries for you?

So, to wrap it up about me, I still have pain but am able to manage it better. i am getting around better but I still have to use an assistive device

Thanks for staying in touch If you want to send your email address, it will be easier to stay in touch The word processing software on this site is horrible Nancy

• Posted

Hi Nancy ...Im so glad you're doing better......Hopefully we can both survive this ordeal....

Do you think it's safe to post emails on here?

Did you say your surgery was partial posterior? You were able to go down on your knees n bent down?

Do you think it's safe to post email here?

Do you have FB?

• Posted

I guess I question posting email addresses also yes, I do have a Facebook account, and messaging would be easier than using this platform you can find me by using my last name Wilson i have been hacked a couple times lately and have had to change passwords and get new credit cards

I can bend down but have lost flexibility I'm adding some yoga poses twice a week

I can get down on my knees and up with some difficulty i was super engaged with yoga, strength building and Pilates before my fall

i did have posterior PHR

My goal is to be able to walk a mile by mid July

how are you doing? What are you able to do? What are your goals?

• Posted

Hi Nancy...I've been walking without a cane for about a week..but limp n pain still.....I dont know if I can bend down bc my surgeon told me never to do it!

Still sleeping with pillow between legs...still using raised potty. .n I'm very saddened by this...Recently I started get weird throbbing sensations throughout my leg...mostly mid thigh. My foot swelling on surgery side went down but still feel tightness around foot especially when I flex it.....so I'm worried.

I'm going home this Sunday n am worried....since you know I live alone.

I want to be able to do everything I did before. I want my limping to go away.

Are you able to drive / get in car normal? Sit in any chair ?

Can't remember...did you say you had a fall?

• Posted

what is your last name yes my name is very common there of us in my town alone i can try yours

• Posted

Have you tried sending a private message by clicking on the message envelope underneath Cecilia's name? You should be able to swap email addresses I think.

• Posted

like you I have tried to speak to people who had a half hip replacement but it’s very difficult to find anybody. I broke my hip three years ago and was given a hemiarthroplasty. I was horrified when I found out what they have done to me as I would far rather have gone through the full operation. I have MS which was why but I wasn’t asked much about my ability to walk and they definitely made assumptions that I was far less active than I was. I had a lot of groin pain that started six weeks after the operation but fortunately a course of muscle relaxants make that go away. What’s your story?

• Posted

like you I have tried to speak to people who had a half hip replacement but it’s very difficult to find anybody. I broke my hip three years ago and was given a hemiarthroplasty. I was horrified when I found out what they had done to me as I would far rather have gone through the full operation. I have MS but was only 54. I wasn’t asked much about my ability to walk and they definitely made assumptions that I was far less active than I was. I had a lot of groin pain that started six weeks after the operation but fortunately a course of muscle relaxants made that go away. What’s your story? Mine was a femoral neck fracture and it was cemented.

I do remember my surgeon acknowledging that half hip replacements often cause groin pain. Good news is that I am completely pain-free now but I do worry about the dreaded revision. Did your surgeon give you any indication of how long the operation would last?

• Posted

Hi Carol....was yours posterior surgergy?

How long before you were able to walk without limping. .I'm about to be 5 months.

• Posted

no they went in from the side. I did have a burning sensation for quite a long time but that has also settled down. I am 7mm longer in one leg now. My gait can be a bit unsteady anyway with the MS but i do limp slightly. I am glad that there was never a dislocation risk and I'm now pretty flexible again. I can even cut my toenails. I would still have preferred the long term fix of a full hip replacement but at least you seem to have avoided the groin pain issue which was awful. Looking back I think it was over a year before all the after effects wore off. I even developed some discomfort in my other hip as I was obviously favouring it and it was making me more lopsided. I try to avoid any impact exercise on it as I'm terrified of a revision. Mind you, a lovely gentleman called Nick from Australia who posted often on this site had his hemiarthroplasty "revised" at the age of 90! His lasted 20 years so let's hope we are as lucky.

• Posted

No Carol I have bad groin pain often...Lately I've been walking better n then it's starts hurting again n get sad all over again....Tomorrow I will rechecked for clots...need prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.