Partial knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, there seems to be a lot of posts for total knee replacements but haven't seen many for a partial. Has any one had a partial knee done and how are you getting on. Three months after mine was done for a second time I still experience some discomfort and swelling bordering on pain, wondering if this is normal after this amount of time. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ,yes I had my right knee partial, and having the other one done hopefully August , I'm only at 2weeks, am getting on ok, still pretty uncomfortable, had my first physio yesterday , and there pleased with me, am at a 90 bend, I was 75 when I went in😁 I don't really no what to expect, which is why I've come on here, to stop my self worrying as much as anything else, I haven't spoken to many with partial up till now, not sure if I've spoken to any actually, they were pleased to be able to do partial because of my age, 54' now that I have had it I am really hoping that I will only need partial next time as well, listening, or should I say reading on here, kind of puts you off  a full.😏
    • Posted

Hi Mandy, you are a bit younger than me, I am 62. This is my second op same knee, the first was a disaster from the start, mainly due to the surgeon cutting corners. Have to say I was hoping my knee would be better than this by now. Made good progress to start with then there seems to be little change, fed up with the swelling and stiffness.  Other knee needs doing as well, just waiting to see outcome of this one. Good luck with yours, early days yet. 
    • Posted

I obviously hope I don't have problems , I was referred through the nhs to a private hospital, the staff there said its better because the surgeons aren't under so much pressure to knock out as many of us in a day, do you ave any thoughts on that, ? The surgeon did come and see me each day following the surgery, I was in for three days, get genuinely did seem to care, 😱 . You never hear any thing negative before any surgery , you just find it all out latter,. And I have had plenty, which has been some good some bad, never at the hospital I went to this time though. 😏 guess I'll just have to wait , keep up the physio ect , and hope for the best.
    • Posted

I just wanted to air 2 views, firstly I had my knee replacement , first one private ,  ok you  get  private  room , China cups etc your  own privacy, but once surgery is done its none of that that matters it is the after care and the pain being under  control,and that can take a couple of days, unfortunately  after five days I was distraught with pain and no relief they used worked and then the surgeon intervened,  I was very very scared to get my second one done but went national health, I don't think we are allowed to name where but 100% difference. Yes it took two days and I was very sick but once they found the correct doseage i was fine, so all I can say is it is the after care that counts for everything, I was so lucky, this time, 
    • Posted

I was more commenting on the fact that Linda feels her surgeon cut corners in my last comment , I agree the after care at private, isn't a lot different , they were just as short staffed, the room was no where near as clean as an nhs hospital, I even asked at one point if the bathroom could be cleaned, I've already had a bad experience with m.r.s.a so didn't want to get any thing else, the food was better. But if any thing I prefer being on a ward, at least you get to speak to others in the same boat, I only had my visitors to talk to.but the surgeon deffernatly didn't seem as rushed. , I don't think he was wanting to cut corners as Linda's was , that was all I ment. Sorry if I offended you.
    • Posted

That's interesting, my first op was in an N.H.S. hospital, I was last on the operating list and I am still trying to find out what actually went wrong.  Seems only top half of knee was capped, seemed like a rush job having to have it all done again. I was  also referred to a private hospital, NHS funded because the original surgeon didn't have any appointments. Not entirely successful I ended up with E Coli plus an infection in my knee. 
    • Posted

I am fighting a wnd generation staph now. Had to have the prothesis completely removed and 8 weeks of antibiotic infusions, then 6 weeks of waiting to make sure the staph is completely gone. June 25th i get my new hardware . mine is called an epistaph or dtaph from the epidermis or skin. Our nephew is an infectious disease doc primarily involved in research. He told me everybody has enough staph on their body to kill them if they dont have the resistance to fight it off naturally. Apparently those of us that can't are continually peering over the edge of the cliff hoping somebody doesnt push us off.
    • Posted

That's an interesting post about infection. I had the misfortune to leave hospital with E. coli I was quite ill with the stomach bug, but then I ended up at a walk in clinic because the knee was infected too. The subsequent treatment was haphazard and too confusing to discuss on this forum. I am holding back on having my other knee done after the experience I have had. Sounds like you are having a rough time too, hopefully it will go well second time around. H
    • Posted

The metal in the knee is the attraction. I'm sure your surgeon warned you about not having dental work done without a regimen of antibiotics several days before the dental work is done. Be sure and discuss this with your dentist. Urinary infections can sometimes be problematic as well.
    • Posted

With this infection side, between this knee, that's now 2 wks 2 days , and the next in August , I have to have the joint in my jaw washed out, will they have to give me antibiotics before that? They haven't said any thing to me about there being a greater risk , which I find a bit worrying
  • Posted

Linda, if you can scroll back over the past several months there hVave been evir 4 folks tgat have had pkr
  • Posted

Hello linda, I had a partial knee replacement in January. I am still having pain when walking. I had the replacement on the outer side of my left knee and I must admit, I don't feel much benefit as yet. I am attending a circuits gym session every week for 6 weeks with the physiotherapist so I am hoping for some improvement after that . i have seen the consultant at 10 weeks and he showed some concern as I have crunching in my kneecap. I have a follow up appointment in September. All they seem to say is keep up with the exercises, which I will.
    • Posted

Hi Susan thanks for the reply. I am thinking of contacting surgeon if things don't improve. They told me pain free in 3 months, although I can't describe it as pain the discomfort is quite intense, can't help thinking something is not quite right. After the first op I was told that would improve, it was 18 months before they did revision surgery, had to start all over again.  

• Posted

Oh, that doesn't sound good. I am still using one crutch as I struggle to walk any distance. Did you have yours on the outer knee or inside. Husband thinks I should contact consultant but I want to persevere with the gym sessions before I do as I want them to know I have tried everything they have asked of me.
    • Posted

Mine was medial femoral, inner knee. I have found cycling helps, seems to loosen the muscles up, but I don't have time to do this every day. I had minimal physio, two sessions in all, carried on with exercises at home. The emphasis seems to be on building up muscle tone. I used a walking stick for a long time, able to manage without now, and returned to work. Hope your knee improves. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.