Partial knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there, there seems to be a lot of posts for total knee replacements but haven't seen many for a partial. Has any one had a partial knee done and how are you getting on. Three months after mine was done for a second time I still experience some discomfort and swelling bordering on pain, wondering if this is normal after this amount of time. 

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Linda, you too. Yes they do seem to focus a lot on building up your muscles. I can manage ten minutes a day on my exercise bike. It seems to be the weight bearing exercise I struggle with. I am not excessive!y overweight and was fairly fit before I had the problems with my knee.
  • Posted

Sorry Linda, can't help except to say that my surgeon wouldn't consider doing a partial.  His argument was that the recovery is almost as long and the stats. are nowhere as positive for success.  Hope this helps with your decision.  
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I had read on the internet quite a lot about recovering in a shorter amount of time and was led to expect a mini miracle, that was not the case. I to am now wondering about the success of partial knees but the surgeons seem to push this as the answer when only part of the knee is damaged. 
    • Posted

I've been fighting knee problems for over 12 years. All caused by a rare tumor. I'm fighting a staph infection now and had to have t h e prosthesis completely removed and antibiotics infused for 8 weeks. Now have to wait 6 more weeks for new hardware to be inserted. Through all of this I have yet to meet anyone who has had pur. My surgeon., a teaching professor at a tea chi ing hospital. He does a limited number as m o st insurance companies have very strict guidelines, not wanting to have to pay for take if the pur fails. Incidentally, I'm in the US and Medicare ( insurance for seniors) is cutting services more and more, watching every penny closely. The mentally is we'll spend more up front to save on the backside

• Posted

Hi Linda I have just turned 53 and had a PKR in January..initial assessment in NHS hospital was to possibly have a full replacement but they would decide on op table..went private through NHS to a recommended surgeon who said no way did I need a full replacement so went ahead. I have to say my treatment was amazing and so was aftercare. The pain I had from before op was gone...obviously I still get some pain if I move it quickly or it snaps back on its own accord but I'm glad I had it done now although I wouldn't have said that at the beginning. I have no swelling I do however still have numbness like pins and needles on opposite side to replacement. I am still limping but not sure if this is habit. Not gone back to work yet as I teach and they say I'm too risky haha so still home but doing lots of exercise when possible.
  • Posted

I had a partial knee replacement (right knee) in May 2014.  Two years later I can still only do stairs one at a time.  When I went to see the surgeon last October his PA said i would have to wait until 2019 for a full replacement.  Why, I don't know.  I have to wear a knee sleeve when doing house or garden work.  I do PT, weights, stretches every morning.  I need to see, I guess, if my insurance will cover a full replacement, now!  Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.