Partial knee replacement progress.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a PKR 4 weeks ago but have no one to compare my progress with. I have a good bend in the knee but am struggling with straightening it. My back has also become painful, possibly after two years of walking with a limp and my leg becoming slightly malformed. Very low mood doesn't seem to be improving either, very tearful, not like me at all. I abandoned the white socks yesterday despite being advised to wear them for six weeks, is this wise? I am 67 and otherwise fit apart from restless leg syndrome. I have no family for support.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 10 weeks post TKR ..I would advise to carry on with the socks I had stockings , they were awful but I persevered  . I do know a friends husband who died after knee op of DVT .. I don't know if he continued to wear his stockings or not !!

i too am 67 , and doing really well,I have suffered with the back pain after, as you are , but not too bad now. I do suffer with restless legs though and it did seem worse for a while , but again it is settling. Have you found anything that works for that?  As for low mood , we all mostly seem to be getting this quite badly . It does seem to go on for a while so you are not alone there. I hope you pick up soon x

• Posted

Thanks, I have just put the socks on again!  I think I would find the whole thing more manageable if I didn't have the restless legs which "clock on" every night at 8.00 without fail and lasts til dawn. My Doc prescribed half a  Zolpidem sleeping tablet every night rather than the heavier drugs but since the op my legs have gone bananas and I get up every two hours. Have you had any success with anything? Presuming that the knee op and the increase in the TLP's is connected. How long til yours settled down?
    • Posted

Codeine helps a bit, mine starts around 6to7 pm but isn't so bad when I go to bed....I don't sleep anyway and GP won't give me anything to help either.I do think the stockings and mine were full length ones lol made them worse . A couple of times during the night I took them off , but relented in the morning .i am not getting it so often now , where as it was every night, but I can't really place when it improved. I think icing helped with restless legs too 
    • Posted

I'm calling them socks but they are the knee high type things similar to those worn at school 60 years ago! Thanks, I will try a couple of co-codamol tonight and get the ice pack out again. Thank you for your encouragement re the knee too.
    • Posted

Mine were proper full length that rolled down to the knee as soon as I put them on. I sent my husband out to buy me suspenders , lol yes he got laughed at and could find any . I got  some from eBay , funny it wasn't quite the look my husband was hoping for lol. Try the codeine let me know if it helps ...There is usually someone on here to chat too , either crying or in so much pain, so you are far from alone . I started feeling guilty when I started to improve ... You will improve soon x
  • Posted

I am 12.5 weeks post op TKR.

Although I absolutely hated wearing the stockings, especially as it was through our very hot Summer, I persevered as there is a high incidence of DVT associated with knee operations.

As far as feeling low is concerned, it is a really common feeling.  Depressing as it is, this does pass after about 8 to 10 weeks. I believe it comes from loss of independence. For me, the tears suddenly came from nowhere.

Knee operations are so difficult.  I found the whole thing quite traumatic.  It does get better, albeit very slowly and there is nothing any of us can do to hasten that.  The knee makes that decision.

• Posted

Thanks! Am now worrying that I didn't wear them for the last couple of days but don't suppose that made a huge difference? They're back on now! Did you abandon them completely after the six weeks or keep wearing them occasionally? 
    • Posted

I checked with both my physio and consultant and then they came off at precisely six weeks to the minute!  They are truly dreadful, but so important.

I shall definitely wear them if we fly long-haul - just not worth taking the chance.

Keep in touch if you're feeling low.  Nothing worse than having no-one to talk it over with.

• Posted

Thanks so much, that made me smile, just two weeks to go then! So nice to be able to be in touch with someone who has had similar experiences, oh dear, tears again! Sad old stick! 
  • Posted

I am sure if they are back on you are fine. I told myself as my legs didn't stop moving , I was probably ok, and mine came of exactly six weeks lol . I am flyingin in 5 weeks , booked holiday yesterday , when I will be 15 weeks and I will wear them for the flight too. My mood has also improved ,  not feeling so tearful any more . I wasn't expecting that , but it's a big op so we should really be prepared . Good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you, you are very kind. Have a lovely holiday. X
    • Posted

I had tkr 5 weeks ago I went through a lot of pain like most people my hospital never offered stockings at all to the 5 people having new knees at the same time as me its a long process but you'll get there in time good luck
    • Posted

Thanks. How strange that different hospitals have differing policies regarding the support socks. Hope you continue to improve, thank you for replying.x
  • Posted

If you are not getting enough of the mineral Magnesium in your bodies, the restless leg issue could be the result...

I've been taking quality magnesium for many years and higher doses and you can read on the net about the mag deficiency in Many many people.....too many.

I'm 76 and dealing with a hip replacement that didn't turn out great so my knee and foot/ankle are all worse....I'm doing all I can to do no more cutting of my body.......j in the U.S.

• Posted

Is magnesium also a supplement to help sleeping? 
    • Posted

Yes, it's a calming Mineral....also helps people to keep "regular" who need that help....and keeps muscles from cramping and you can google: Benefits of Magnesium....

I've upped my dosing over the years and now take 500mg Mag complex or citrate or glycinate 3 times per day..... I prefer looser bowels vs constipation......I've had my share of constipation over my life....not good thing.

• Posted

I have some here they are 250 mg magnesium . Should I start with just 1 ? 
    • Posted

Pam, start low and work up....I told you how much I take....If you get too loose bowels back down....

As I see it and many others in the healing world, mag is deficient in MOST.

What form do you have, oxide is the least good quality.....

• Posted

These are Holland and Barrett. 250 mg , that's all I know lol 
    • Posted

That's really interesting. I take a 150mg magnesium citrate tab but will definitely up the dose. Mine are from Natures Best, supposed to be good. Is citrate the best form to take? So sorry your hip didn't turn out so well, really kind of you to pass on your good advice. Feel more optimistic today, just need to sort out the painful back and the ageing teeth! X
    • Posted

150mg per day is like taking none....I've heard from others 600mg is a good dose for all, I take 1500mg per day, spread thru the day.I like Citrate, many like Glycinate, gotta try the one that feels good to you. Mag malate many like too. Make sure your Vit D levels are in good shape.

If you are drinking fluoridated water, you are doing more damage to your bones and joints....including teeth. The push for fluoride is a FRAUD.

I've been studying preventive health and all the toxins for 25 yrs or so.....it's maddening.

• Posted

Oh gosh, that's like ten of my tablets! How does it affect you if you don't take them? Any side effects apart from loose bowels? I have ordered vit K1/2 as you say this seems to be the partner of magnesium as is calcium and vit D. Have always taken supplements but I know lot of controversy surrounds just picking out particular ones as they all work in tandem. Doctors know so little about nutrition, such a shame . Ok for them to say a balanced diet is the key but if the food we consume is low in nutrients due to overuse of the land then there is no choice. Oh dear, sorry to rant! X
    • Posted

I buy all my mag in 500mg caps....You could use yours up and increase up to 500mg per day or a little more....I've been taking mag SO LONG and when I had my mineral panel done in 2005, I was in good shape there....but want to keep it up.

Read up on Magnesium and Vit D Deficiency and another one I believe to be true is manganese deficiency.....I'm taking a new supplement now with a prertty good dose of manganese in it for ligaments and tendons growth.. My manganese was low and I ignored it too long...

All these 3 are essential for bone health.

I'm dealing with a narley hip replacement which messed up my knee and foot and ankle...so I'm doing ALL I know how to avoid any surgery again.

I also deal with some Fibro and a surgery trauma would do me more.

Our soils are devoid of nutrients.....so I work to take care of my systems as much as I can and I research everything. hang in and keep doing good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.