Particular time of struggle?

Posted , 7 users are following.

It is very evident that I struggle with severe anxiety from about 2 o'clock to 5pm....(its 5 somewhere sad 

I am out of my skin during that time and always have been while sober...I think it is because my brain is trained to start drinking after work...for years and years....I got out about 3 ....and got to the store about 3:15.....

I'm always anxious..but more so during that time frame...I try to distract myself...and it is a horribly uncomfortable period of time for me.

I just took a deep breath and then I looked at the clock and it is almost 5 here (10 of)...which sparked me to write this.

Do you have certain times when you really struggle to stay away from your drink or drug?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, every day.  I have had anxiety for 30 years and was on anti-deps for 14 years, came off about 8 years ago.  And the alcohol just kept creeping up.  My anxiety is worse during the night when it is dark and I can't sleep.  My hubby snores and I just lie there getting more and more anxious.  My sister in law tells me she had three large g and t's every night and then a coffee with brandy and if she wakes in the night and can't get back to sleep say around 2am - she goes and gets another g and t !!!!!!   I don't ever want to do that.  I am an evening drinker and that is when all the anxiety disappears (until the dark hours and insomnia) and so it goes on.  Anxiety is horrible and people who don't have it are very very lucky.  It really helps to talk about it on here. 

Keep posting peeps.

?G.

• Posted

Hi Gwen,

Sorry you are going through all that.  I don't have anxiety, but I have years ago had anxiety attacks.  The worse thing I could have done when I was  going through those was to drink any kind of alcohol. I know some people say that helps, and I guess when you really scared anything that helps to calm someone down, one reaches for.  But for me, not only was alcohol a severe depressant, but it also would have increased any level of anxiety I was experiencing, because alcohol leaves me with the feeling of not being in control, and that in itself is a huge contributor to any form of anxiety I had ever experienced.  But my anxiety attacks were not an every day or every night thing, so I would imagine that must be a horrible thing to go through, so sorry you are experiencing that.  I'm glad you are talking on here about it though, and I am always here to listen.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.