Partner not understanding what i am going through.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a partner who gets ratty alot and does not understnad what fibromayalgia is all about.  He has the window open all night and the traffic and planes going over head as we are in a flight path and other noises keep me a wake all night.  I tried to explain to him but he gets ratty and tells me to stop moaning.  Which I am not.  I have bags under my eyes and dark circles.  And tired all day.  When I don.t sleep I have been awake all last night.  And have been up and about since 7am.  How do I make him understand without him getting nasty about it.  And then I end up crying as I am now.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dammit, it makes me so sad to read your post. It can be so lonely and isolating when those closest to us do not understand what we are going through. My husband is great now but 10 years ago I am fairly certain he thought i was a hypochondriac.

If your partner isn't being supportive you can try a couple of things based on his psychology. If he sees you using eye masks, ear plugs, pillow over the head to work around his insensitivity will he feel guilty?

If not, can you go firm and compromise with him having a fan on his side of the bed to avoid the open window?

Will he be more willing to listen if you shock him with an absolute melt down because he is just so used to you being accomodating?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.