Partners Operation last Wednesday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well Wednesday came, the day we were dreading and wishing for. We woke to the news of the London Fire Block does it sound terrible that I was thankful we were not going to a London Hospital? The stress of Living with a AAA is hard on all the family. If you keep thinking of all the what if's it is crazy. Any way Operation went ok, took 5 hours plus an hour to prepare,sticking all the lines in. He was expected to be in ICU for 1-3 days. Home in 7-10 days. Did not quite work out that way for us. Will be a long recovery, yesterday we were told to prepare ourselves, multiple organ failure, pneumonia and ARDs. Wow what a difference 24 hours makes! He is still with us, still on ventilator, still sedated but stable, how I love those words STABLE I want to shout it out. Who knows what our journey will be but I feel blest, Jon is stable, and that is all I need for now. I hope that I am not upsetting anyone waiting, Jon chose the Open Surgery we knew it was high risk, we knew there could be complications. I was told though even had we gone for The other one he would have ended up with the open as the way his Aneurysm was gave no other option.

Keep us in your prayers please, Jon is still very ill, not doing anything for himself but stable and that is enough for now.

4 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It's amazing how fast the turn around is as soon as he starts walking again.  Thanks for bringing your story here, & keep bringing the updates.

• Posted

Thanks for the update. Worrying right along with you about your partner. Praying he recovers well, over time. It's a big deal and glad he is STABLE! Whew!

Hoping for improvements each day and you are home together soon

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

• Posted

This morning they tried and failed to wake him up. Blood pressure spiked.He was then fine this morning after they resedated him but this afternoon he kept fighting the ventilation and holding his breath so more drugs to stop anxiety. Going to try waking him again tomorrow. Slight temperature still on antibiotics new chest X-ray which showed a lot of fluid on the lungs, fluid they gave him 23 litres to flush out the sepsis, but they think time will sort that out. Fingers crossed that waking him up works this time.
    • Posted

Hoping for a positive change soon. That must be so scary. Keep talking to him. I believe they can hear us.
    • Posted

The nurses say he can, it's upsetting sometimes he thrashes his head from side to side as they lighten the sedation but the priority is to try and wake him. Day 7 tomorrow fingers crossed he wakes up.

• Posted

Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. You have a wonderful attitude taking it day by day. Your strength is admirable.
  • Posted

Reading this brought tears to my eyes,  My prayers are with you all and praying Jon  turns a corner soon on the way to recoveryxxx
  • Posted

Tried again to wake Jon today but again it didn't work, until he can follow a basic instruction they can not remove the tube. Try again tomorrow, blood pressure all over the place one minute he is hypertensive,then hypotensive. Still on 40% oxygen, still sedated,still ventilated. Keep fingers crossed for tomorrow, one day at a time.

Kate

• Posted

I can vaguely remember what I think was awakening, it was traumatizing/nightmarish for me. I suffered 2 minor strokes from the surgery.

This surgery ain't no joke, but it is so much better to be surrounded by loved ones when you wake up.

• Posted

I hope things improve for your partner Kb2895. I will say a prayer for both of you. Your support takes a toll as well. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Jon woke up two days ago, he is very muddled almost childlike, yesterday everyone was a muppet! Except the nurses of course they are angels. It is hard to think that this time last week we were losing him. He is my all, he is still having some issues, the bowel gets very sluggish after surgery and they are pumping him with medication to try and kick start it. He can not eat or drink, vomits severely if they give him water. Movements are difficult for him, he has to be moved by the nurses, he can not do it himself.even lifting arms is still difficult although he tries to reach out to hold your hand. Improvements every day
    • Posted

SO happy to hear Jon woke up and is improving! I don't know either of you, but I have been very concerned - and hopeful for this good news.

Here's to more improvements for him and continued strength for you.

🌞

• Posted

Keep us updated, the doctors/nurses would not let me drink water until I was having bowel movements, they did give me a moist towel with not too much water to moisten my mouth. I'm lucky my doctors knew what they were doing and that I'm alive.

• Posted

Just an update

Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers Jon is home and slowly, very slowly recovering. He tires very easily and can not walk far. We are housebound at present the car is not an option as his incision split leaving a 5 cm open wound that District Nurses are assisting with.

I am very busy, constantly cleaning, cooking, washing and assisting him with whatever he needs. I am so happy though I thought I might lose him yet he is here I just dread leaving him to return to work. One day at a time eh?

• Posted

So glad he's home! 👏🏼

You're a great partner to be doing whatever it takes to ease him back into "life".

Continued prayers that he continues to improve. And get rest when you can.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Posted

My dad had emergent pancreatitis followed by three heart attacks. He was in a coma for 11 days, and ICU for 21, it looked bad, but that was 4 years ago and for an old guy, he is doing great. It is so amazing what the human body can come back from, and it sounds like he has every chance in the world to return to a normal life. 
    • Posted

So glad he is home. Praying he feels better soon.

He's a lucky man, to have a supportive wife. All the best to you,too!

• Posted

You are an Angel, you might have to be very dedicated for up to the first five weeks. Making sure he is eating properly and making sure he is in the most comfortable positions at all times will be a huge challenge. Keep him walking as long as he is not in pain, before you know it he will be up to a half a mile with company then, 1 mile on his own. Did you ever say how old he was?
    • Posted

He is 61. Had a little set back where he was taken back into hospital for baterical infection. Had really bad diarrhoea since being discharged from hospital which led to moderate dehydration.Doctors said C Diff is caused by antibiotics clearing the gut of good bacteria and let's other bacteria go crazy but more antibiotics are working. So much better since having had fluids intravenously. He eats, but still small portions better though than it was. Main issue is the open wound healing as that is where the waistband sits, painful to wear proper clothes. Still tires extremely easily but at least is improving. I wouldn't  say I was an angel I am so scared to leave him, so worried about him becoming ill again but I have to look at returning to work soon. Have to be strong for our teenage son only posting on the chance some of the detail help others going through this too. It's hard.

• Posted

All this time I thought your partner had a thoracic aortic aneurysm. Sounds like it's abdominal.

Hang in there. Prayers are with you all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.