Partners Operation last Wednesday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well Wednesday came, the day we were dreading and wishing for. We woke to the news of the London Fire Block does it sound terrible that I was thankful we were not going to a London Hospital? The stress of Living with a AAA is hard on all the family. If you keep thinking of all the what if's it is crazy. Any way Operation went ok, took 5 hours plus an hour to prepare,sticking all the lines in. He was expected to be in ICU for 1-3 days. Home in 7-10 days. Did not quite work out that way for us. Will be a long recovery, yesterday we were told to prepare ourselves, multiple organ failure, pneumonia and ARDs. Wow what a difference 24 hours makes! He is still with us, still on ventilator, still sedated but stable, how I love those words STABLE I want to shout it out. Who knows what our journey will be but I feel blest, Jon is stable, and that is all I need for now. I hope that I am not upsetting anyone waiting, Jon chose the Open Surgery we knew it was high risk, we knew there could be complications. I was told though even had we gone for The other one he would have ended up with the open as the way his Aneurysm was gave no other option.

Keep us in your prayers please, Jon is still very ill, not doing anything for himself but stable and that is enough for now.

4 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Latest update we saw the Consultant on 01/08/17. He is happy with Jon's progress only concern is still issues with the bowel so they will get us back in three weeks time to review on doing further tests.  Apparently this is not uncommon with the open procedure as the bowel is extremely sensitive and doesn't like being moved. Hopefully he just has IBS now which although restrictive can settle down.  We continue to take it one day at a time, first day out was to the hospital and managed 2067 steps. Wednesday he had the excitement of being taken to Homebase but shattered for next couple of days. Sometimes it feels like one step forward two back. That is me just being impatient but the hardest thing is getting your head round the fact that it is a slow process. Recovery is personal to the individual and compared to what Jon has been through he is doing well. I suppose the only advice I would give to family members supporting a loved one is keep a diary of what happens throughout, Jon doesn't remember the early days when he woke and this upsets him. He really needs to know what happened on these days, local news stories, family news like the fact our son received his national insurance card, what the nurses did, how he reacted to people, some of the really strange things he came out with. Things that we think nothing about are important. I wish I had kept a more detailed diary to help him and that I had kept it going longer for him. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.